Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speed drops with eircom 18:00-00:00, and mine experience with eircom support...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Just a thought on the breach of contract and eligibility for compensation from Eircom; Contention and the phrase 'up to' 7Mb etc should only entitle you to something like 150Kb due to the 48:1 contention, but Im pretty sure that packet loss is not allowed for. I mean what ISP would state in a contract that ok your contention is 48:1 and we can guarantee speeds UP TO 7Mb but we are entitled to drop UP TO 50% of your traffic. :rolleyes:

If a company wants to cling on to little phrases like 'up to' and an unbelievable amount of them do (not just ISPs I might add) then surely we as customers can demand compensation for packet loss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Exactly.

"Well Eircom, if you give me speeds up to 7mb, I will pay up to €40 a month"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

miralize wrote: »
    Exactly.

"Well Eircom, if you give me speeds up to 7mb, I will pay up to €40 a month"

I told em that, said if im barely touching the bare minimum for the 3mb then should you not charge me for that package @ night time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

I have determined the problem to occur from 19:00 - 23:00.

Speedtest when it is not working:

714831568.png

The pingtest does not seem to pick up the packet loss, however here is the dump directly from my router.

NwSw06.png

Here is the latest email from UTV:
    UTV wrote:
    Hi,

Eircom have checked the line and advised that no external issues were found. Please see the below response:

'This fault was tested to our standard procedures and was found to be ok. DSL is a rate adaptable product and thus speeds will vary'.
    I have run another test on your line which has come back as all clear and showing that the line is currently syncing at 3mbps. Please see below:

Near End Status: NORMAL
    Far End Status: NORMAL
    Down Actual Bit Rate: 3072

Another possibility is that the quality of the phone line is causing issues. Unfortunately I am unable to run a telephone line test as the line rental is not currently with us. Would it be possible to ask your telephone provider to run a pstn test to see what result comes back. This test will only take a couple of minutes to run and if it fails then a line fault will need logged as this could be the source of the problem.

I got eircon to run the pstn test, and they said that it came back 100% no problems, no faults. I have informed UTV of this.

I do not know what to do now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Essonimex

So the DSL stats is not working for everyone? How am i supposed to check how much of my download quota i have used?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

716682820.png

It would appear as though my connection is now what it should be.

716713546.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

Mine is still fecked from 19:05 - 23:05 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Mine is pretty much unusable at the moment..

716932601.png

Not the wiring, ive two house phones and they both have the asdl Splitters.

Then it says on their page that the Blanch exchanges where upgraded, but i dont see an average speed never mind what we should be getting.

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=183&E=0000000000217793369&K=2957&SXI=10&E=0000000000217793369&St=183&K=2957&SXI=10&case=8109&branch=4

Ive been using eircom since `06 and even when i had 3mb the web pages rarely opened as slowly as they are now.

• Advertisement

Do ring Customer Care and go through the motions of fault finding. We need people to register this packet loss in the evenings.

Xennon wrote: »
    Do ring Customer Care and go through the motions of fault finding. We need people to register this packet loss in the evenings.

On to them AGAIN, the sugar-coating approach to take the sting out of the complaint:

Use the person’s name
    Sorry many times and in different ways
    I’m a supervisor
    The head of an “insert depart” knows about this /will be in touch, for added effect mention a name.
    There is a case open; YOUR case number is....
    Promise a fast response
    Doing my upmost to fix it and will get someone to contact you.
    Use the powers of notes on accounts to tell people what they have done, i.e. you contacted tech support on “insert date”
    Put you on hold, pretend to contact some, very sorry about putting you on hold there

It’s getting to a comedic level now; you’d think we have a script and are reading the lines out so eircom can reply with the relevant line/s.
    But sure it’s a free phone number, so I’ll give them the standard 2-3 business time frame for a reply before I ring again.
    717921928.png

102Min to download a 800mb film, where's the classic spiel from eircom about this package being suited to download movies gone?

I'm glad that they upgraded the blanch exchange, it hasn't done my speeds any good but it gave some people ot work over the weekend.

Nice one Jeff,

Message to others: Do ring Customer Care and go through the motions of fault finding. We need people to register this packet loss in the evenings.

That number again MR.Eircom

Broadband Support: 1890260260
    Compliant No: 1800200481

Or if your up for a laugh ring the following...........Bill queries 1901

say there must be a mistake on my bill it says up to 7mb but i barely break the 1mb after 6/weekends, I'm being overcharged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

I got so pissed off with vodafone I got them to log a call with eircom and I got the log fault number. I rang eircom start of last week and found they are very aware of a contention issue in many areas. Apparently they are in the middle of a 13 week upgrade project to deal with these issues and theres little they can do about it. I "think" he said there were 13 exhcanges to be upgrade but I was really only concerned about my own one.

I rang vodafone daily, mailed every day and only when Paul got involved here did I get any sort of a reply by getting on to probably the only decent bloke they have in tech support who rang back end of last week to say they have just got a brief from eircom to say theyre in the middle of upgrades.

So I knew several days before vodafone what was happening. Im in ashbourne, I was told that exchange is scheduled for upgrade around the middle of march and to hold on til then although the brief vodafone had didnt have this info when I asked.
    So couple of things,
    1. These exchange issues didnt just creep up they started occurring pretty much to the day that vodafone took over from BT where I had 4 years of uninterrupted service. No speed drops of note. Its nigh on impossible to think theyre not related. Did/do vodafone not know? Poor show, I feel for the guys on the coalface dealing with calls as this was obviously a business decision by guys at the top who dont give a rats arse about customers. This will be remembered the split second a decent alternative arrives in my area.

2. ring eircom whether youre with them or not and get through to tech support and ask them about your exchange and whether its due for upgrade. They have the dates your exchange is due to be upgraded, If you get a date at least you can hold on til then and go back to vodafone and be able to quote that to them.

My exchange and a few in the general area of blanch where upgraded and still the same.

Unless it takes a few days to take effect? Or are we all looking for some hope of a resolve to this problem.

jeffk wrote: »
    My exchange and a few in the general area of blanch where upgraded and still the same.

Unless it takes a few days to take effect? Or are we all looking for some hope of a resolve to this problem.

Hoping mate. always hoping. this is ISPs though. I upgraded to 7mb last week from my 3mb. Not in a hope that it would fix my problems but the 52e for the 7mb included calls which is what my monthly bill was anyway. Ive signed up for 12 months but when I was recording the agreement I said I wanted it included that I would agree as long it was a decent service. If the service doesnt improve Ill cancel it and take them to court if they try to hold me to the 12 months. speedtest readings every evening.

I cant stream a 300kb video stream most evenings. on a 7mb line. :(

Hoping mate. always hoping. this is ISPs though. I upgraded to 7mb last week from my 3mb. Not in a hope that it would fix my problems but the 52e for the 7mb included calls which is what my monthly bill was anyway. Ive signed up for 12 months but when I was recording the agreement I said I wanted it included that I would agree as long it was a decent service. If the service doesnt improve Ill cancel it and take them to court if they try to hold me to the 12 months. speedtest readings every evening.

I cant stream a 300kb video stream most evenings. on a 7mb line. :(

This will light up this forum if it does happen, assuming we can all load pages on the interweb by then.

I wonder if its a verbal contract does it stand up in court, I done the same as you and was I was told the same, but we haven't signed or gotten an actual contract.

Yeah, the verbal agreement holds up, I dont mind that, makes it easier and quicker for the contract to be agreed, I mean, theyed only be sending out paper anyway, and who needs that huh?

I'll stand up in court with weeks of speed test result and quote the sale of goods act that .7m and .66m from a 7mb line is not providing what theyre being paid for. no doubt theyll have something in the contract that I'll have to put up with whatever they give me but I'll have every publication wholl listen to report on it and we'll see how much vodafone care when people hear that when they sign up to vodafone that theyll still have to pay full whack even if theyre not getting what theyre paying for. hrumphhh

717970998.png

717985649.png

Two thumbs up to you, I hope it doesn't come to legal wrangles and court but as you say im sure there will be enough media outlets baying for information.

• Advertisement

Had a little conversation with a rep this evening.

http://twitpic.com/13gpfe

They havent a notion of even admitting theres a problem.

miralize wrote: »
    Had a little conversation with a rep this evening.

http://twitpic.com/13gpfe

They havent a notion of even admitting theres a problem.

AH the classic problem what problem head in sand attitude.

You should have gotten a new modem for the laugh, it costs eircom a courier charge and it gives a courier a run and probably much needed cash income.

TBH i dont want to waste my time. I'm not gonna stopp to Eircoms level. I just want decent broaband.

jeffk wrote: »
    AH the classic problem what problem head in sand attitude.

You should have gotten a new modem for the laugh, it costs eircom a courier charge and it gives a courier a run and probably much needed cash income.

here are the questions to ask.

Is it contention?
    What else could be causing the poor speeds?
    What does your line check test for?
    Does the line check check for contention?
    No? then how do you know its not contention?
    Yes? and if it shows no contention, then what else could be causing the poor speeds, Ive checked my dhcp table on my router and theres nothing else on my network, also, can you tell me from my stats who much data Ive transferred in the last hour, (his answer better be low)....so if we're agreed I dont have anything taking up my bandwidth, and my speeds are still low, could it be anything other then contention, cos this afternoon I was getting speeds 5-6 times faster unless you can give me a technological answer that to my equipment getting slower after 6pm..
    Youve no answer? Are you not allowed use the C word?
    Do you think the speeds are fast enough?
    Ok, lets move on, what time are you sending out the engineer at? before 6pm? no use, they only get slow after 6.
    You cant send an engineer out after that? If I get my own engineer out and he finds its contention as he'll eliminate everything up to the entry point to the phone line and I'll send you his report, I'll charge you 100e. we'll see how that one stands up in court.

I just got a phone call from eircom about half an hour ago. They are issuing an almost full refund since when I originally rang in. Also when the speeds do reach the normal level ive to ring them about a further refund.

He said it’s the exchange and that there’s no way the 7mb package should dip down that low, 620 is the best eircom expect you to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭iknorr

what was the refund terms?
    when did u first complain?

iknorr wrote: »
    what was the refund terms?
    when did u first complain?

He didn't mention terms, I assume its what any company providing a service do when you complain enough about not getting what you paid for.

Back in September when this happened before, then it was grand until just into the new year it all this started again.

sounds good either way.
    I was told also i will get a refund if its over 5 days and not resolved. But i have to wait until it is resolved and then the refund will be negotiated.

Yes it certainly takes some of the anger away and the fella was grand over the phone, like talk to the person not over them.

I suppose its not fixed, but @ least there is compensation and renewed hope that the speeds eventually will be as expected.

What is stopping them resolving your case?

• Advertisement

I havent received a "call back" yet .

Each time i ring, im met with a nice tech or accounts person, who are more than helpful but the outcome is the same. The last time i called was last Thursday, i was supposed to get a call back the day before. at 415, i was told i will receive a call back by 530 with answers to all my questions. I still havent heard from them yet.

They never mentioned why the problem was occurring. Only that each case was being treated individually.

Advertisement