Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speed drops with eircom 18:00-00:00, and mine experience with eircom support...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

threein99 wrote: »
    Who did you switch too ? im getting very close to cancelling Eircom

Im with vodafone and after many calls to vodafone and eircom over last 3 monthts I found out Eircom are aware of a contention issue on several exchanges and currently in the middle of an upgrade project for the troublesome exchanges. Both vodafone and Eircom have this info but its like getting blood from a stone to get any details on it.

I spoke to one guy in eircom tech support 4 weeks ago who was able to give me a confirmed date of 12th march for when they hoped to get my exchange upgraded in ashbourne, but he said to ring back around now to see how that was progressing. got through to a guy yesterday who didnt even know it was going on but when I said could he put me on to supervisor he miraculously found the info about the upgrade with "no confirmed date" as to when it was going ahead but it should be before end of march. ie, bullsh*t but he wouldnt give me any more info. cant have a rollout plan without dates!!! vodafone werent able to get me this info themselves. I dunno why, I mean, theyre paying eircom for the equipment, youd think someone in there would have the sense to get that info, and communicate it back to the customer.

Anyhoo, ring the eircom tech support and ask them is your exchange on the list to be upgraded, if he isnt aware of upgrade plans, ask to speak to someone else. if it not on the upgrade plans, ask him why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭iknorr

just off the phone with them again...i spoke to 4 people, 2 tech support, sales, complaints, couldn't get a supervisor. no one had any info on upgrades or firmware updates. i thought i was getting it from one guy but eventually he said he could find any direct info for that exchange.

Meanwhile....this may be of interest.... UPC 120mbps, virgin 100, eircom cant do 3

http://techfeen.com/virgin-uk-to-supply-100mbps-connection-by-end-of-2011-eircom-struggling-to-supply-3mb/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

With any luck though upc will have at least 50mb running well at that time. Ahh Eircom :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Swicthing to UPC in 2 weeks. Eircom need to get their **** together.

iknorr wrote: »
    just off the phone with them again...i spoke to 4 people, 2 tech support, sales, complaints, couldn't get a supervisor. no one had any info on upgrades or firmware updates. i thought i was getting it from one guy but eventually he said he could find any direct info for that exchange.

Meanwhile....this may be of interest.... UPC 120mbps, virgin 100, eircom cant do 3

http://techfeen.com/virgin-uk-to-supply-100mbps-connection-by-end-of-2011-eircom-struggling-to-supply-3mb/

someone in tech support in eircom definitely have that list of exchanges to be upgraded, the guy 4 weeks ago was very forthcoming, the guy yesterday was not so unti I prompted him that one of his colleagues already told me that it was going ahead at which stage he found the list. He did say that it wasnt "official information", whatever that means.

If they dont have info about your exchange Id ask what other exchanges are on the list, how did that list get identified, ie, what determines an upgrade requirement and if its contention can he explain how youre getting contention and your not on the upgrade list and who do you talk to to get your exhcnage on that list as youre paying money for a service youre not getting.

I dont understand why they cant be helpful on this. seems eircom and vodafone tech support guys deliberately obfuscate information, why wont they release the info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 InkPot

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/25/samknows_study/

Something of this nature needs to be implemented in Ireland - proper, independent, quantative ISP quality of service survey. Imagine if, each quarter, each ISP was given a rating (say, 87%, meaning, that the average subscriber received 87% of their 'up to Mbps package limit') and that these were published side by side? Maybe with geographic breakdown? That would incentivize. Ah well.

InkPot wrote: »
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/25/samknows_study/

Something of this nature needs to be implemented in Ireland - proper, independent, quantative ISP quality of service survey. Imagine if, each quarter, each ISP was given a rating (say, 87%, meaning, that the average subscriber received 87% of their 'up to Mbps package limit') and that these were published side by side? Maybe with geographic breakdown? That would incentivize. Ah well.

problem is, the decent providors,, upc, wimax, have no service outside the metropolitan areas and eircom provide the exchanges for everyone else so its not in their interest to hurry repairs or investigations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Sharlovesjohn

My bf works for Stream which Eircom use for the Technial Support call centre he said loads of lines are badly damaged and Eircom havent fixed them yet.

The papers would know more about whats going on with Eircom then he would they are told nothing just that there a lines down in certain areas etc if they cant fix it over phone,

My bf gets abuse everyday for this when its not his fault as he doesnt even work for Eircom so he gets told nothing there is two centres one run by Eircom and one by Stream so one centre would know more then the other of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

problem is, the decent providors,, upc, wimax, have no service outside the metropolitan areas and eircom provide the exchanges for everyone else so its not in their interest to hurry repairs or investigations.

I think Eircom should pull out of rural areas all together. I mean, other companies that are being touted as having high speed broadband have no intention of providing broadband to the sticks or most of the country. If Eircom were to do this they could consolidate and provide proper uncontended service to the main money spinners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

I think Eircom should pull out of rural areas all together. I mean, other companies that are being touted as having high speed broadband have no intention of providing broadband to the sticks or most of the country. If Eircom were to do this they could consolidate and provide proper uncontended service to the main money spinners.

Basically what you are saying is that if you want broadband you should move to a town/city. I'm so sorry but the last thing I or anyone in my company wants to do is live in 'suburbia' and deal with the drawbacks that entails. Get a grip, the country IS NOT that big and there is no reason apart from cost that a decent service cant be provided. The reason this is happening is not because of logistics, but because eircom are in debt to the tune of 3.3bn, and last year is the first year they made a comparatively modest profit of 40 something million. Simple equation, dont spend money, charge more money = profit.

'the sticks'????...omg...where in ireland is the sticks???....you can cover the whole country in a day and you thing there are remote areas here???... Go visit some countries with real logistical problems and then come back here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Xennon wrote: »
    Basically what you are saying is that if you want broadband you should move to a town/city. I'm so sorry but the last thing I or anyone in my company wants to do is live in 'suburbia' and deal with the drawbacks that entails. Get a grip, the country IS NOT that big and there is no reason apart from cost that a decent service cant be provided. The reason this is happening is not because of logistics, but because eircom are in debt to the tune of 3.3bn, and last year is the first year they made a comparatively modest profit of 40 something million. Simple equation, dont spend money, charge more money = profit.

'the sticks'????...omg...where in ireland is the sticks???....you can cover the whole country in a day and you thing there are remote areas here???... Go visit some countries with real logistical problems and then come back here.

I am just saying compare like with like. Why are UPC not announcing expansion into rural area or even areas that are not in the cities? They could very easily afford it. Smart and Magnet are the same with their infrastructure. Not expanding outside of the cities. They will not lay their own infrastructure only re-sell eircoms because it is not cost effective.

So it probably would be better for you and others to move to cities or at least areas with denser populations.

The country is not that big but it does have a lower population density then the UK.

Its weird how people fail to recognise that eircom is a limited company. Not state owned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭bealfeirste5

miralize wrote: »
    Swicthing to UPC in 2 weeks. Eircom need to get their **** together.

Eircom dont seem to have a very good rep!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

how about we keep the thread on topic about the problem people are having rathjer than tie it up with a debate about the economics of broadband in ireland

You cant because it comes down to the fact that the so called government thought it was wise to privatize eircom ALONG with the infrastructure even though just a few years previous Denmark make the same mistake and it cost them a fortune to correct. That should never been allowed to happen. How can you provide an open market in the telecommunications industry in this country if one company owns the main infrastructure?

Regarding the opinion that if you require broadband you should move to an urban area, sure....if you want 20+Mbps but most would be happy with a reliable 3-7Mbps which is highly attainable with todays technology.

I am well aware that Eircom is a public limited company, but since packet loss has become an issue on their network then their goods are not of merchantable quality and do not fit purpose. If you are happy with an okish service for a ridiculous price then I have a bridge in the states you might be interested in (going cheap honest)

By the way Im based 5 miles from the center of Limerick City with an exchange 100m from my door, its hardly 'the sticks'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Sorry to ask this but can someone explain what exactly the Exchange things are ? and how do i find out where the closest one to me is ? Im in Carlow , want to ring up Eircom and ask them is there a problem with my exchange and want to sound like I have some idea what im talking about :rolleyes:

i got this from jayceon over on the meteor forums...

"all the info you need is here"

Sorry to ask this but can someone explain what exactly the Exchange things are ? and how do i find out where the closest one to me is ? Im in Carlow , want to ring up Eircom and ask them is there a problem with my exchange and want to sound like I have some idea what im talking about :rolleyes:
    I DID NOT make this map, found it through google.

Small Exchanges:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=uk&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=110403331981107574468.000452392086e44d0d003

Large Exchanges:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=uk&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=110403331981107574468.00045239ab53f633a5704

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

i got this from jayceon over on the meteor forums...

"all the info you need is here"

Very helpful

Very helpful

Seriously though....

it is easier and quicker to do a search on google for the answer. look at the answers u got on the thread.....all the info came from google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

anoble66 wrote: »
    its difficult to tell from a tracert, Download pingplotter and run that.

As below, taken when internet wasn't at it's worst (Sun 21:30 ish).

Is it normal to have the packet lost spread over so many servers?

732558422.png

ping plotter tests below, added links too because images (picasaweb) weren't showing up in preview.

I might run it over 24hrs to see what that is like.

tf0SIsK8ZN3Li1bR5f0cFg?feat=directlink
    Fa1zoQQpxAhnQryIMrM0gg?feat=directlink
    to boards.ie
    to rte.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

Why at almost on the button 00:00 did i get my full speeds back?

Does it sound paranoid to think eircom throttle the network speeds from 6 o`clock onwards midweek and basically most/all the weekend?

Or is it that everyone in Blanch went to bed and im one of the few left still using it(bad joke its late)

theres something definately fishy going on.....

After weeks of hassling eircom, my internet has suddenly change from being unusable to semi decent.

An engineer came out and fiddled , nothing aparent happened that evening.

The following day Interleaving was set to low. Noticed ping times dropped from 200ms + to 76ms in high peak times. Speed went up to about 3mb from 0.5.

Got a replacement modem next day. didnt seem to make a difference but speeds and pings held at above rate during peak times. Speed increased during the day time.

So it boils down to this.

1. Interleaving set to low... Are the Dslams overrun with the interleaving - when high interleaving is active, does this use more processing power? is this messing up the connections?

2. Throttling - plain and simple Eircom are limiting data usage by reducing speeds at peak times.

3. ??? Anyone else go any ideas?

i really dont think its due to contention.

also have these problems disappeared for alot of people recently as this thread has become very quiet?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

theres something definately fishy going on.....

After weeks of hassling eircom, my internet has suddenly change from being unusable to semi decent.

An engineer came out and fiddled , nothing aparent happened that evening.

The following day Interleaving was set to low. Noticed ping times dropped from 200ms + to 76ms in high peak times. Speed went up to about 3mb from 0.5.

Got a replacement modem next day. didnt seem to make a difference but speeds and pings held at above rate during peak times. Speed increased during the day time.

So it boils down to this.

1. Interleaving set to low... Are the Dslams overrun with the interleaving - when high interleaving is active, does this use more processing power? is this messing up the connections?

2. Throttling - plain and simple Eircom are limiting data usage by reducing speeds at peak times.

3. ??? Anyone else go any ideas?

i really dont think its due to contention.

also have these problems disappeared for alot of people recently as this thread has become very quiet?

nope, still having problems every night,

and don't think they are reducing speed, i still have full 7mb, just 25% packet loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

They have not disappeared for me anyway. If anything things are getting worse. This weekend speeds were 750ks, should be close to 3mb. It seems to be fine during the day, then 6 o clock or so to about 11.30 it runs like treacle.:mad:

Slimity wrote: »
    They have not disappeared for me anyway. If anything things are getting worse. This weekend speeds were 750ks, should be close to 3mb. It seems to be fine during the day, then 6 o clock or so to about 11.30 it runs like treacle.:mad:

Ring them up and get the interleaving set to low....

The package loss does seem to rule out throttling...that just leaves interleaving or some other problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Mine seems ok until about 1am every night then it crawls

Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=240ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=216ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=397ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=342ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=443ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=464ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=590ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=151ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=220ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=352ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=373ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=601ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=624ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=442ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=464ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=401ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=714ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=329ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=351ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=580ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=602ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 21, Received = 21, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 151ms, Maximum = 714ms, Average = 423ms

Should I try and get my interleaving setting changed to help my ping times?

Yes

my internet is completely down this morning.....

any joy since iknorr?

• Advertisement

erm, nothing useful to add. it did come back on. no real change in speed.
    Filling out a "survey" thingy from Eircom at the moment- logging pings , speeds, routes etc.

Advertisement