Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speed drops with eircom 18:00-00:00, and mine experience with eircom support...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭jeffk

Well here we are on a Saturday night and im well over the 4mb mark. Is it fixed or is it a one of?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

not for me, 26% packet loss again tonight

Are you measuring speed? or just the packet loss/gain?

jeffk wrote: »
    Are you measuring speed? or just the packet loss/gain?

it's not affecting my speed, just horrendous packet loss at those hours, same as a few others earlier in the thread.

makes xbox live impossible, even if my speeds dropped and there was no packet loss i would have some hope

mossym wrote: »
    it's not affecting my speed, just horrendous packet loss at those hours, same as a few others earlier in the thread.

makes xbox live impossible, even if my speeds dropped and there was no packet loss i would have some hope

Ah right, I don't do any on-line gaming or that, so once I download almost as fast as I am meant to im happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

well every Monday-Saturday from 5pm-12am my speed drops from 7.6megs to about .5meg and 25% packet locket...even browsing is a pain :mad:
    Lodged an offical complaint with them and their 10 days are up on Wed so I'll be ringing demanding refunds and also making a complaint to Comreg even though they're a bunch of useless twats

Scar_L wrote: »
    well every Monday-Saturday from 5pm-12am my speed drops from 7.6megs to about .5meg and 25% packet locket...even browsing is a pain :mad:
    Lodged an offical complaint with them and their 10 days are up on Wed so I'll be ringing demanding refunds and also making a complaint to Comreg even though they're a bunch of useless twats

So you down to less than 1 meg? Thats mental, id be onto them alright, I did and they said I was getting an almost full refund. Use compensation/not what you paid for, sounds better than just i want a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I've had enough of this.

.7 mbit and 200ms ping. I might aswell have a package that says "all the text based internet you want!!11"

I'm ringing eircoms complaint line tomorrow, with a view to canceling the service. I might ring up joe duffytoo thats how mad i am.

What providers will be able to give me the internet connection I pay for, eveb at peak times? Or are they all a slave to eircom's equipment?

I'm in Arklow if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I will be listening to Joe Duffy for you call tommorow :D Just done a speedtest on my 3 Meg broadband its down to .600 on average at this time of night , Im seriously thinking of switching to Aptus if this doesnt improve soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Well, I'm officially in the same boat now :mad:

Whilst I was physically watching the modem, for no apparent reason my ADSL connection went on the fritz yesterday afternoon (about 17:00). When it came back on (about 2min later) the speed was cut by 50% (from about 15mb down to 7.1).
    No amount of resets or poweroff/on resolved. This morning...back up to 15Mb. Checked the modem's log.... at 00:07 the connection was reset.
    Amazing isn't it?

No, I don't believe that Eircom was working on lines at that time of the night...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭iknorr

Italia wrote: »
    Well, I'm officially in the same boat now :mad:

Whilst I was physically watching the modem, for no apparent reason my ADSL connection went on the fritz yesterday afternoon (about 17:00). When it came back on (about 2min later) the speed was cut by 50% (from about 15mb down to 7.1).
    No amount of resets or poweroff/on resolved. This morning...back up to 15Mb. Checked the modem's log.... at 00:07 the connection was reset.
    Amazing isn't it?

No, I don't believe that Eircom was working on lines at that time of the night...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

yup, they say on their website that to expect interruptions to the service at various hours in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I wouldn't say 17:00 (5pm) was morning.....:rolleyes:
    Strangely, BB seems to go down when people are most likely to use it.
    iknorr wrote: »
    yup, they say on their website that to expect interruptions to the service at various hours in the morning.

probably just moving people around while they are upgrading equipment

11.40 in the morning and my 3 meg Eircom is down around the 1 meg mark:mad::mad::mad:

Strange thing now,

broadband seems to be working at 6meg+ even in peak times....

Iv received 2 missed calls from eircom since this happened. Seems to be like they knew it was fixed, even stranger that they didnt know where the problem was in the first place. its all smoke and mirrors from them, until its fixed.

let see how my refund comes along when i return their call.

13:04 and my speeds are good on a 7Mb package.

Although recently since exchange upgrade the speeds have been good at nearly all times! :)

749293198.png

Also my ping times to boards.ie are around 15ms so not too bad.

Edit:
    Iknorr, was your exchange upgraded? I also like you with speeds even at peak times, it's great to have a good service!

13:03 and my speeds are good on a 7Mb package.

Although recently since exchange upgrade the speeds have been good at nearly all times! :)

749293198.png

where are ya located? what exchange?

Strange thing now,

broadband seems to be working at 6meg+ even in peak times....

Iv received 2 missed calls from eircom since this happened. Seems to be like they knew it was fixed, even stranger that they didnt know where the problem was in the first place. its all smoke and mirrors from them, until its fixed.

let see how my refund comes along when i return their call.

How did you manage to get it working ? blackmail ? :D Im in Carlow , do you know how i could find out where my nearest exchange is ?

I kept annoying them for about 3 weeks. then gave up 2 weeks ago when i didnt have the time to annoy them due to work. An engineer came out to test the lines from the apartment block back to the exchange . everything was good so he changed around the cables in the exchange to a "quieter part" as im told.

i got the new router in the mean time as it was the last official "test" i could do with eircom. I previously refused the router asi tested with other routers and had the same speed issues.

About 3 days later i started seeing an improvement. it went from under 1 at peak to about 2.5. then it kinda slowly increased up til about now. I havent been able to do some proper tests as i havent been at home for a few days but the gf says its running very good even at peak times.

As i mentioned earlier i think its due to the upgrades they are doing. They seem to be effecting the exchanges in some way. dslams overloaded or just purely lack of bandwidth due to disconnecting older equipment during the upgrade.

Erm eircom told me what exchange im on but i guessed it from a map i saw of there exchanges. Im in cork city so theres really only one exchange near me.

i had actually stopped calling i got so frustrated after the 30+ calls i had made before where they refused to even acknowledge a problem, because there was nothing wrong during the day...
    but think i'm going to start getting on to them again, going to ask for refunds, mine was rubbish again last night, 24% packet loss again at 9pm

• Advertisement

read here...haven't got a chance to ring them yet as up the walls at work but I think media attention is now called for with eircom

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64911108#post64911108

where are ya located? what exchange?
    Blanchardstown.

strange i thought that as supposed to be upgraded last month..

Eircom just rang me back about my complaint.
    Issue is not with the local exchange but the main hub which is located in Castletroy, Limerick.
    ETA is for fixed by end of April plus they've given me a refund as well.
    Still crap i know but at least I know it'll be sorted in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 GerryTheLeper

Well thats good. But this has been goin on for months and I think they said they'd have it sorted before christmas to someone else that complained.

Can someone explain to me how my friend who lives around the corner doesn't have the problem and I do? He's on a 7mb line and me a 3mb. We both did tracerts and his goes though "b-ras1.lmk.limerick.eircom.net [159.134.155.241]" whereas mine goes though "b-ras2.lmk.limerick.eircom.net [159.134.155.2]".

Is this purely because we're on different packages? Sorry if I'm soundin a bit clueless but I'm curious.

13:04 and my speeds are good on a 7Mb package.

749293198.png

Edit:
    Iknorr, was your exchange upgraded? I also like you with speeds even at peak times, it's great to have a good service!

Yup the GPO (cork central) has been "upgraded". Iv no idea what these upgrades are but i was told by a guy working in there that they were currently upgrading and switching out old gear for new stuff.
    he also said that the only option was to be moved to a quiet part of the exchange during the upgrade process.

Berkut wrote: »
    Eircom just rang me back about my complaint.
    Issue is not with the local exchange but the main hub which is located in Castletroy, Limerick.
    ETA is for fixed by end of April plus they've given me a refund as well.
    Still crap i know but at least I know it'll be sorted in a few weeks.

can you tell me the number you rang to make the official complaint, i;ve given up callling the help desk due to them being unable to do anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Only seemed to get speed loss from yesterday..only noticed it then.

Thought the youtube videos i was trying to view were just really large files..and taking forever to load.
    Then tried downloading a linux iso..from rapidshare. I normally get 210kbs, down to 25-30kbs now :mad:

Seem to be peak times as listed in this topic title. 18.00-00.00.

So pissed off.
    Westport exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

1800 200 481

Is there a competition/consumer regulator with any power here?

If we contacted as a group we may get some traction.
    Simply put, eircoms adverts for bband are fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Finished trying to complain to them anymore. I should not have to wait 6 weeks longer for normal service to resume, especially when its been 18 weeks so far. UPC guy coming on Friday :)

Advertisement