Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speed drops with eircom 18:00-00:00, and mine experience with eircom support...

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

miralize wrote: »
    Finished trying to complain to them anymore. I should not have to wait 6 weeks longer for normal service to resume, especially when its been 18 weeks so far. UPC guy coming on Friday :)

yeah but for us without UPC, its just one big long joke.

I mean seriously, how are we meant to come out of recession and entice foreign companies to invest in our country, when we cant even do broadband communication right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Maro30

Guys i'm on a 3Mbit package and that's what i'm getting for last 5-6 days between 5pm-0am

753319986.png

it's kinda funny when upload speed is faster than download don't ya think? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

Just got my Eircom business broadband enabled 2 days ago (8Mbit package).
    The business package supposed to have better contention ratio,so I went with that.
    This is what I get between 6 pm and 11 pm:

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/753428400.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]753428400.png

2 weeks ago I was on Smart's 12Mbit/1Mbit wholesale package on the very same exchange and 300 meters up on the road and no contention problems whatsoever....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

The main problem IS the bras in the exchange in castletroy Limerick, b-ras2.lmk, it simply cannot handle the load. This was confirmed today. Also they've known that theres a problem there for quiet a while and there's been nothing done about it. And from what Ive been told there will be nothing done about it, as there is no investment comming from STT.
    And as for the contention ratios being adhered to, well if they were then the system could carry the load, basically its way over contended.
    Time to rethink my broadband supplier methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Broadband Kid

Eircom 3MB Co. Cork

754101401.png

12911822.png

Already starting to slow down just after 5.
    754238417.png

754409047.png

Here are my stats
    Line State Up Modulation DMT Data Path Interleave
    Downstream Upstream Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384 SN Margin (dB) 11.10 18.00 Line Attenuation (dB) 41.00 21.00 CRC Errors 1 0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

My speed is good even for this time of night, and that's with 48:1 contention too, eircom home turbo.

754442274.png

• Registered Users Posts: 34 GerryTheLeper

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to ask to change the BRAS im on? Couple of my friends who are the same package dont have the problem as bad as I have but they're on a different BRAS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

I'm having the same problem as the OP and "SmurfX". Massive lag between 18:00 and 00:00. I have the 7meg package.

Similar to the OP, I had the service guys out and they tested the line from outside and inside my house, and they could find "nothing wrong".

It's been like this since just before xmas and it's really doing my head in as I can't play any games in the best gaming hours!!

Oh yeah and my exchange (Summerhill) has been on the list to be upgraded for MONTHS!

Hi Gerry,
    I cant see it being possible to change to a different b-ras as that is basically where your traffic gets authenticated and routed on.
    If you can imagine that the dslams in your local exchange basically send all they data to the b-ras to be authenticated and then forwarded on via their fibre to the internets. To re route your traffic specifically probably can be done, but I doubt that it would be done as this would lead to a chaotic network topology.
    Basically unless they supply another b-ras for the castletroy exchange we're screwed, and thats assuming the backhaul can handle the traffic.

So are we all from around the same region here? Munster?

(I'm sorry if this is a stupid question)

• Advertisement

Alot of us seem to be running through the b-ras2.lmk.limerick.eircom.net server located in the Castletroy exchange on the dublin road in Limerick. This server seems to handle the traffic for Limerick, North Cork, South Clare, North Kerry, and parts of Tipperary. From what Ive been told this problem has been well reported within Eircom with no action being taken.
    The predominant attitude seems to be 'ah sure cant you see the google web page aren't you doing fine'.....someone really needs to explain to Eircom what broadband is being used for these days, as they don't seem to understand the impact of such drastic packet loss.
    This coupled with the fact that there seems to be no interest by STT (eircoms new owners) to invest anything in Eircom means we're probably stuck with this.
    We can only hope that pressure from Eircoms resellers will bear fruit as there seems to be no use in us (the customers) complaining. :rolleyes:

Just as an aside, theres no such thing as a stupid question here, the more we all know the better we can try to correct this issue.

Thanks, That's what I thought, I was just making sure.
    I'm in Nenagh, been onto eircom several times about this issue and the only thing I managed to get was frustrated. It's been like this since xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Folks upgraded the line here in recent weeks from 1mb to 3mb. Significant difference at off peak times, same old 0.40mb p/s rate with jitter all over the place at peak hours.

It's pretty ironic looking at their new ad campaign which is all about how people in their droves who left eircom in the past are returning because of their "high quality" service. What a joke. :pac:
    It'd be piss poor for their image if they knew about this problem and were willing to accept it as being good enough for their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 anfromme

Hello, I am new here.

And with that, rather unceremoniously, on to: same problem here, started about 17th or 18th of March. During the day, it's fine, in the evening, it's worse than a joke.

Called the 1901 number referenced previously in this thread and got treated to the whole "reset your modem to factory settings" routine, never mind that I haven't changed my router settings in about four months, and the performance hit only occurs during certain times of the day (the usual "peak hours" of about 18:00 to 0:00 or 1:00).
    Their tool was somehow not working tonight so they couldn't properly monitor my connection, so I'll have to call again.

BRAS in my case is b-ras2.chf.cork.eircom.net, by the way, and I'm located in the Cork suburbs.

756561984.png
    Note the upload speed... (that used to be about 0.2MB/s about an hour ago...)

13078679.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

hi anfromme, welcome to the forum, and welcome to the ragethread. it's been terrible since friday for me. random disconnects, .2 meg down on OFFPEAK at times. terrible.

I'm not bothered ringing them either, I have done so countless times and just get the same **** every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

mine

756577509.png

Just noticed - ironically, speedtest just showed this Google Ad for me:
    Switch to eircomFor great value and service switch to eircom now!

:D

Anyhoo - I'll ring them again tomorrow and see where I get. So far, this reminds me of an experience I had with an electronics manufacturer - issue with a DVD player and despite various board threads that mentioned calls to the manufacturer, they refused to acknowledge the issue "no, we have not got this error on record, good bye". Well, they will never have it on record if they just choose to ignore it, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭okla

Im in the same boat as everyone else in ths thread.
    On the 3meg package but between 6pm to midnight every day speed drops to .5meg and pings go up to over 100 which makes youtube, rte player, online gaming impossible.
    I have been onto them since early February and still no difference.
    I urge everyone having these problems to lodge an official complaint on 1800 200 481 and maybe they will have to do something then.
    I love their slogan "Faster,Reliable, Always on", I had better broadband ten years ago :rolleyes:

I suggest everyone heads over to the Eircom Support Forums. Im sure theyd appreciate the extra traffic ;)

A lot smoother today, calling through 1901.
    The guy today asked for the modem to be turned off and on again once, asked some more questions (which seemed more relevant than those the guy yesterday asked) and quite quickly said he'd escalate this issue to their Engineering department. ETA: 3 to 4 days.

Fingers crossed, so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

My god, this is terrible. The last week or so the Eircom broadband in my place has gone to absolute ****e once it hits 18:00. I have the 7Mb package and at the best ill prob get 5 - 6Mb which is fair enough. But this evening it's like i'm back on dial-up again it's so slow, done Speedtest and got a download speed of 0.95Mb.

Now really, 98 quid a month for the 7Mb/extras package, it sucks ass big time. I just cant wiat til NTL-Chorus roll out thier fibre optic lines here (Cahir, South Tipperary). When i was living in waterford, had 3Mb broadband with NTL and it was waaaaay faster than the 7Mb i have wit eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Everything was fine up until about an hour ago for me, now look at it!

[URL="[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/757581690.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]757581690.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Seriously, its some disaster. Some rip off.

Xennon wrote: »
    I suggest everyone heads over to the Eircom Support Forums. Im sure theyd appreciate the extra traffic ;)

This is a PMs I got from on of the guys on the eircom connect support forum:

Don't worry I am a long standing member of boards.ie and particularly active in the broadband section. I read all of these threads . I can't really comment on what is happening internally though.
    Would you mind getting some of them to post in the threads here? I would like to compile a list of effected customers.

Funny, cause the answer to the amount of customers who are effected is "EVERYONE WHO IS ROUTED THROUGH THAT RAS SERVER!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Guys...I've already posted the Eircom issue on this thread (I think)
    Eircom have admitted after I made an official complaint that it's not the local exchanges but their main hub in the Castletroy area through which we all go through.
    Fair play to the complaints guy that rang me back. He had a lot of digging to do before he finally got the information from the engineers about the hub.
    It seems the Engineers are not telling the main tech guys what the issue really is so they really kick a good kick up the hole.:mad:
    ETA on the resolution he's giving me is the end of April so he's giving me a €20 refund for every month I have this issue which would be 4 months by April 30st.
    My advice is everyone ring the complaints line (I'll try and root it out tomorrow) or search on the eircom site yourself.
    At least if you log this complaint Eircom HAVE to get back to you within 10 working days. Think it was close to that myself.

Eircom complaints number is 1800 200481 . Got that from an email from comreg I got a while ago.

Hey Berkut, am in same boat (over by the lifeboats). Was told the issue was being resolved on April 1st (ahem!) as the Castletroy exchange was being upgraded to offer adsl2+ (24Mb). Great, but unless they solve the b-ras and/or backhaul bottleneck there then its only going to get worse. Oddly the local tech knew nothing of any such upgrade to the exchange.

Great. So we possibly could be back to square one! Although let's give them a chance to TRY sort it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Been meaning to post on this for a while. If you have a high bandwidth ADSL2+ connection, when using speedtest.net ALWAYS use the GALWAY server, no matter where you are in Ireland, the others never have enough bandwidth to do a proper test, the latency results of some of them are way off too. Only Galway and Sligo gave me the correct latency of 10ms, with only Galway alone able to come anywhere near the correct speed. The Limerick server is the worst, it doesn't have proper bandwidth to do a speed test correctly and it is noticeable on this thread that most of the poor results came from the Limerick server. Here are my results using Limerick, Galway, Sligo, Dublin.

758355361.png

758356827.png

758357737.png

758358864.png

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thats not least because Galway has more bandwith per capita than any other town in Ireland outside Dublin. Even eircom runs a 10g backbone into Galway.

Advertisement