Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye on Ojmjakon - the coldest inhabited place on Earth

Options
  • 15-01-2010 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭

You want cold - go to Ojmjakon, Eastern Siberia - the coldest village on the planet. Regularly gets below -60°C in winter. At the moment it's a relatively balmy -47.5°C! :rolleyes: It's so cold that villagers leave fires burning underneath the truck engines at night time to stop the oil freezing!

See how the temperature rises with height to about 750hPa, then falls again, with the surface temperature the same as at 400hPa (~20,000ft!) :eek: That's a serious cap! :D

102701.jpg

2010011512.24688.skewt.gif

Max temp over the last 2 months
    klibild?WMO=24688&ZEITRAUM=12&ZEIT=14012010&ART=MAX&LANG=en&1263583237&ZUGRIFF=NORMAL&MD5=

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Yes, there was a 1071 mb high over that region (north of the Sea of Okhotsk in eastern Siberia) about a week ago; much of that has drifted west into the Ob valley of western Siberia and is showing up on the charts as the possible westward-moving Russian high.

High pressure seldom totally breaks down over eastern Siberia in winter, what often happens is that a strong centre splits near this cold spot and part goes over the Bering region into Alaska and northwest Canada, the other part drifts west, and sometimes a cell sinks south into Mongolia and northern China. This happened a lot in their very cold winter two seasona ago.

This year with the even stronger than usual Siberian highs, a powerful easterly flow has hit Korea and east-central China giving them much additional snowfall, they have been digging out stranded trains in part of Manchuria recently.

The coldest places in North America under similar conditions run almost as cold, but not continuously (in most winters) like Ojmjakon. There's another town to the northwest of there called Verkhoyansk that also records some very low readings. Any place in a bit of a saucer-shaped bowl throughout east Siberia, inland Alaska and the Yukon can run these sorts of very low temperatures. The all-time low in Canada (and Alaska) is -63 C (-81 F) recorded at Snag, Yukon, near the Alaska border, in early February of 1947. That station has been discontinued and nowadays anything below -55 C is quite noteworthy. Mayo, Yukon is the most likely place for it (an odd name to choose for such a place).

There are places in Yellowstone Park that have similar topography and that can drop to -50 C or lower in extreme cases. In fact, -51 C has been recorded in northeastern Ontario and -46 C in upstate New York.

These temperatures don't vary much by time of day either, at the latitude of the Yukon, they may persist at all hours with a dense ice fog thrown in. At least it can't be windy below -45 C or so they say.

The coldest places in the Canadian arctic islands (Eureka on Ellesmere Island for example) can also drop to -50 C but don't do so for very long because there are usually weak lows rambling around up there during the winter to mix the air to at least -30 C and sometimes even almost to freezing. But in terms of severe wind chill, Baker Lake west of Hudson Bay can often report -40 C temperatures with strong winds and wind chills there drop to -70 C on some occasions.

Coldest I ever recorded in central Ontario was -41 C in January, 1976. It was cold enough that I could hear trees cracking in the frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I posted about this in one of the threads during the cold spell but you may have missed it. Great documentary that is well worth a watch for cold lovers!

Encounters at the End of the World

It's about people who live in and around one of the coldest places on the planet McMurdo in Antarctica. It interviews a number of people including a few scientists that discuss certain things affecting our weather that they are studying in the region. The people living their make for some very interesting interviews and some of the footage from the area is truly amazing.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Here's the official forecast for the next week.

Look at Thursday - Max -58, Min -60°C :rolleyes:

http://meteoinfo.ru/forecasts5000/russia/republic-saha-yakutia/ojmjakon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Su Campu wrote: »
    You want cold - go to Ojmjakon, Eastern Siberia - the coldest village on the planet. Regularly gets below -60°C in winter. At the moment it's a relatively balmy -47.5°C! :rolleyes: It's so cold that villagers leave fires burning underneath the truck engines at night time to stop the oil freezing!

See how the temperature rises with height to about 750hPa, then falls again, with the surface temperature the same as at 400hPa (~20,000ft!) :eek: That's a serious cap! :D

102701.jpg

2010011512.24688.skewt.gif

Max temp over the last 2 months
    klibild?WMO=24688&ZEITRAUM=12&ZEIT=14012010&ART=MAX&LANG=en&1263583237&ZUGRIFF=NORMAL&MD5=
    Their was a documentary on a good few years ago about that village, I think it was called Savage Earth, narrated by Ian Holm. I remember children could not go out in anything below -47 as the cold air would damage their lungs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

200motels wrote: »
    Their was a documentary on a good few years ago about that village, I think it was called Savage Earth, narrated by Ian Holm. I remember children could not go out in anything below -47 as the cold air would damage their lungs.

I did a bit of searching as I would like to have given it a look. Its an episode called ''The Winter's Tale'' of the 1996 PBS weather documentary series Savage Skies. If anyone comes across it can they PM me as I couldn't find it online ?

Opr

• Advertisement

Getting toasty in Ojmjakon of late, 25°C a few days ago! But it's amazing how short the summer is there, and how quickly it arrives , a month ago max temperature were still below zero! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

We got a temperature of minus 17.7c in Ireland this Winter.

Bet they were jealous at how hot it was here.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

opr wrote: »
    I posted about this in one of the threads during the cold spell but you may have missed it. Great documentary that is well worth a watch for cold lovers!

Encounters at the End of the World

Opr
    I actually downloaded ahem .... I mean bought that film sometime ago;) I will have to watch it sometime after that good recommendation. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vostok_Station , this is also inhabited by Russians and has been at -89.2 C

Carbon Dioxide freezes out of the air at -78 C at sea level , so not sure if they would get Dry Ice there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

that looks awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

Keeping warm with his 20 year old wife, what a hero!:cool:

Time to cast an eye on Ojmjakon again, as it rapidly slides into deep winter. The first real snows have arrived this week, and today's high was a chilly -14.0°C.

Here is the annual climate

cgi_klimagif?en2468812872232001111

and here are the actual max temperatures over the past year.

131329.png

Here is the Russian Met's official forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Was just looking at a few videos of the town, and what surprised me was that there was good few trees growing. I did not realise they could grow in such conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Was just looking at a few videos of the town, and what surprised me was that there was good few trees growing. I did not realise they could grow in such conditions.

I know a lot of trees and hedges round here died last winter in -16, cant imagine what would happen in -50!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ojmjakon#Climate Record high temp for January is -16.6c :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Here you go Supercell.

What a mad place to live,i love cold but thats taking it to a whole new level.
    They say you can't feel much difference between extreme minus temps.
    Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

redsunset wrote: »
    They say you can't feel much difference between extreme minus temps.

My experience is that anything past about -16C is getting hard to distinguish, alright - your exposed skin is numb, you've icicles on your moustache (assuming that you've facial hair, which I have) and beard, and that's about it. To be honest, once the skin numbs, you'd have a tough time knowing if the temperature had dropped further.

Possibly months of that non-stop would give you some experience in telling -16 from -40, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Theres no record of the wind there on wikipedia. Id say a slight breeze at -40 would feel unbearable.
    I just remember being up the wicklow mountains last winter during a blizzard at -5 and thinking it was colder than the -20 i felt while in canada with no wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

You wouldn't want to be leaving your beer out in "Gods fridge" at christmas time there!

The coldest weather i've ever experienced was a blizzard, accompanied by 40 mph winds, with a temperature of -15 in Canada. i had two vests on, two warm winter jumpers on, a big winter coat, a scarf wrapped over my face, gloves, yet I still felt very cold.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I've done minus 20 odd in Norway. But the memorable event for me is having to use the outhouse facilities in those temperatures! :D

My old man has been in the minus 40s. He broke the door handle and the window handle/opener (this was in the early 60s) in his car the metal was so brittle with the temperature.

Some places in the Yukon can get almost as cold as these Siberian cold spots. They are in similar locations, shallow basins between mountain ranges, and the air drains down into them under high pressure dropping the temperature to -45 or -50 C (extreme cases about -54 C) which is within ten degrees of what happens at Oiymyakon. One of the coldest spots is a mining town named Mayo. :D

The difference in climate is that the Yukon can warm considerably in winter if Pacific air flows in and breaks down the inversion, so some of these places have extreme January highs of 5-10 C. But some years this fails to occur and temperatures stay below -20 C all month. Trees also grow in these regions, the determining factor is length of growing season and the species that survive can stand this degree of winter cold. The only deciduous tree that grows in this climate is the poplar, as well as the alder bush. But most of the trees are scrubby spruce and larch (known as tamarack in these parts).

The weather station at Eureka on Ellesmere Island also has a local drainage effect and can fall to -50 C which is a lot colder than most arctic island extreme minima.

There's also an area of northern Maine that has this effect in some winters, and dropped to -47 C a couple of years ago, while it was only -15 to -20 C in a lot of other places not that far away. Bear in mind that's at the same latitude as Bordeaux.

Some places in the Yukon can get almost as cold as these Siberian cold spots. They are in similar locations, shallow basins between mountain ranges, and the air drains down into them under high pressure dropping the temperature to -45 or -50 C (extreme cases about -54 C) which is within ten degrees of what happens at Oiymyakon. One of the coldest spots is a mining town named Mayo. :D

The difference in climate is that the Yukon can warm considerably in winter if Pacific air flows in and breaks down the inversion, so some of these places have extreme January highs of 5-10 C. But some years this fails to occur and temperatures stay below -20 C all month. Trees also grow in these regions, the determining factor is length of growing season and the species that survive can stand this degree of winter cold. The only deciduous tree that grows in this climate is the poplar, as well as the alder bush. But most of the trees are scrubby spruce and larch (known as tamarack in these parts).

The weather station at Eureka on Ellesmere Island also has a local drainage effect and can fall to -50 C which is a lot colder than most arctic island extreme minima.

There's also an area of northern Maine that has this effect in some winters, and dropped to -47 C a couple of years ago, while it was only -15 to -20 C in a lot of other places not that far away. Bear in mind that's at the same latitude as Bordeaux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Twice! :pac:

I read about record cold in Yukon several months ago.

here is the article: http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/almanac/arc2002/alm02feb.htm

Not sure why that posted twice, but I went out and came back in, found the file still trying to load to boards so I refreshed it. Sometimes boards seems to freeze up even though it's actually working, I guess it's one of the bigger websites around.

But if you read it twice, then it's twice as good, right?

• Advertisement

Not sure why that posted twice, but I went out and came back in, found the file still trying to load to boards so I refreshed it. Sometimes boards seems to freeze up even though it's actually working, I guess it's one of the bigger websites around.

But if you read it twice, then it's twice as good, right?

I thought it was that you wanted to give Mayo a mention twice:p

Advertisement