Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye on Ojmjakon - the coldest inhabited place on Earth

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Not sure why that posted twice, but I went out and came back in, found the file still trying to load to boards so I refreshed it. Sometimes boards seems to freeze up even though it's actually working, I guess it's one of the bigger websites around.

But if you read it twice, then it's twice as good, right?

Yep ;). But I agree, Boards.ie is kinda slow tonight, takes ages to load a page, unless Eircom signal is bad this side.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

Try the interior of Antarctica guys! Similar continental conditions to Yukon and Siberia except for the fact that it also has altitude (and a lot of it). The -55 C that the coldest parts of Siberia get would be considered quite mild up on the plateau in the winter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Barking mad. Swimming at -52°C in Yakutia (Siberia)! It must be some sort of hot spring....though "hot" in this case could be +1°C!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I think that would have been better if the two of them had reversed roles.

But in any case, I also have been swimming in the middle of winter, although closer to -15 than -52 on the thermometer. This would be at an outdoor hot spring and yes, it is a very chilly walk to the dressing room from the water, but if you keep your entire body under the 35 C water (except your head) it can be quite pleasant, mind you, a crust of ice tends to form on your facial hair which is maybe why it's better for the ladies.

Just look how fast winter has been setting in over the last 30 days. A high of 11.3°C on the 1st, only -22.6°C today, with a min of -36.5°C. And pressure is beginning to rise towards the high winter values, where it often gets above 1060hPa, and even reached 1073hPa in December 2005!

Ojmjakon

• Advertisement

Ojmjakon's getting down to near -40°C at night now, and not rising above around -22°C during the day. Snow depth has been at 8cms for the past couple of weeks, but there's been some continuous light snow over the last 24hrs, so we should see that depth increase in the 00Z Synop report.

Meanwhile, there's a cool sounding place not far from Ojmjakon called......Cul'Man...I shít you not! :D It sure is cool there, man, with the metars reporting -13°C in light snow.

Cul'Man

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Factoring in windchill I've been in -50 before in Canada. Rule No. 1, don't go for a walk without a hat on, my head had never felt so....... weird.

I remember walking home one night, I had a nice comfy warm coat on but I was wearing jeans with no layers underneath. I'd never experienced anything like it, I was shaking so much it was hard to walk in a straight line and when I got home it took so long to get the full feeling back in my legs, and this was a short walk! 10 minutes max. Don't **** with the weather people! :)

I loved it though! :D

Today's high was -22.1°C, the low was -37.0°C.

Interesting video of the daily chore of survival in Ojmjakon. I've never seen a block of milk before (well, except for that carton that I forgot about in the fridge last week!!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Sometimes boards seems to freeze up even though it's actually working, I guess it's one of the bigger websites around.

Browser maybe?

I posted about my experiences with boards.ie and Firefox and was given a trick to edit the config, but it only lasted until it crashed.

During the weekend I could hardly use boards at all. I downloaded Chrome and boards just flew, no problems at all.

I've since uninstalled Firefox everything even the registry and downloaded a fresh copy, now it's working very well again.

So whatever is wrong, is possibly exaggerated by something in Firefox, its cache or an add-on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

things looking 'pretty' cold in Norway too

October 2010 produced some of the finest auroras in years around the Arctic Circle--a sign that the sun is waking up for a new solar cycle. Will November 2010 be even better? The month got off to a good start last night in Kvaløya, Norway

Fredrik-Broms1.jpg?PHPSESSID=t99snm5u6spp5pr1rpt38bpuf5

The max temperature at Ojmjakon failed to get above -50 °C for the first time this winter, falling short at -50.1 °C. The lowest minimum so far was -53.4 °C on the 6th. Schools in the village only close when it's below -50 °C.

The latest sounding shows just how cold the atmosphere is, with an almost 30 °C rise in temperature with altitude through the first 2-3 kms. In a month or so the sounding will be almost a straight line, meaning around -60 °C all the way from the ground right up through the troposphere!

2011122312.24688.skewt.gif

186157.PNG

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I can't begin to imagine what -50 must feel like. I remember going for a walk one night last year after the snow and it was about -7 or so, the cold felt so intense even at that level, so to be another -43c colder... I'd love to experience it but can imagine you'd need to be pretty wrapped up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

that's crazy! i dunno how people can live in that village!
    only once when i was 13, i experienced a windchill of -42C (i grew up in southern ontario) and i was out walking home from a mate's house in the morning for 20 minutes and my legs were purple when i got home! it was nasty! that was one day out of 17 years i lived in canada. i can't imagine those poor people in that russian village having to live through so many days of low temps. they must live in multiple layers of fur coats haha

Advertisement