Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can some amswer this for me?

Options
  • 15-01-2010 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests I have a question, and I'm hearing so many different opinions its starting to really p!ss me off.

It is legal to shot hares?

My understaning it that the firearms act acknowledges hare as game that can be shot. I have had different people telling me that its not legal as they are protected. I asked my FO eariler this week he said yes, I have just come back from the shops where I met the only other person who hunts that I know in my area, he has years more experience than me. He told me they are protected and there is a hefy fine if caught shooting them.

So guys over to you alot? Legal or illegal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Daytime with shotguns only - I think.

Don't rely on the above though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

johngalway wrote: »
    Daytime with shotguns only - I think.

Don't rely on the above though.

Cheers, I just found this which me more confunsed. http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/POPULAR%20QUESTIONS%20IN%20RELATION%20TO%20FIREARM%20APPLICATIONS%20.pdf

Half way down page 3

It states that if you intend to shoot hare in season [when is that]
    that you must tick the box in section 5.1 of the application, which then states that you must attact the relevant license from the NPWS, for deer I presume. But that link states no license is required for hare:confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Didn't read through this and will not guess or speculate but here is a previous thread on the subject. May be of help.

http://wang.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055347349
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cheers mate, it seems according to that discussion that there is a season from the end of Sept to end of Feb and shoutgun only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

not is parts ,i think wexford slobs is one .

one question ,why would any one shoot a hare not saying you would want to .

i shot one when i was 15 when i got my first gun,one regret i have .

the sheep dog i lamped with cought another, a total accident .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

jwshooter wrote: »
    why would any one shoot a hare

To eat perhaps. Lot of places in England they're shot to keep, shall we say, undesirables from wrecking the place while running dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

They're good eatin, but the Irish Brown hare is too scarce to shoot now...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

VERY good eating..Hare is a delicacy in Europe!
    Check it with the NARGC website,but they had a box added in on the form stating excluding hares.Re the wildlife 1976 act.The liscense used to have that application box .
    Better off being shot than being riped to bits by illegal coursing dogs.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    VERY good eating..Hare is a delicacy in Europe!
    Check it with the NARGC website,but they had a box added in on the form stating excluding hares.Re the wildlife 1976 act.The liscense used to have that application box .
    Better off being shot than being riped to bits by illegal coursing dogs.

Yes, I find they make excellent pasta bakes. I will check the site out cheers. I followed the advise about rabbits on the sticky, I leave in salted water over night. Place in pot bring to boil, simmer for three hours, the meat falls of the bones, place in bowl mixed ovile oil it stays good for ten days in the fridge, and it already cooked so you can do your stew or whatever very quickly.

I was getting worried by the different reports, I just want to stay legal, it took enough work to get the licences don't want to do anything that would result in them being revoked:eek:

Plus we are over run with them up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bruskey

Im almost sure you can shoot them from nov-jan, usual season.All i would say make sure you kill it outright as if you injure it ,it squalls like a banshee and if its mate is close it will sit beside it and what do you do then.This happened me 20 years ago and i can still hear it, i broke the 100m record that evening.never again no matter how long i have to wait for the dogs to come back.:(

• Advertisement

bruskey wrote: »
    Im almost sure you can shoot them from nov-jan, usual season.All i would say make sure you kill it outright as if you injure it ,it squalls like a banshee and if its mate is close it will sit beside it and what do you do then.This happened me 20 years ago and i can still hear it, i broke the 100m record that evening.never again no matter how long i have to wait for the dogs to come back.:(

I agree, I have been luckly enough to have done that everytime. I would not be happy myself with that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

In pasta???:eek::eek:.Traditional way to do them is to take out the spine whole,or whatever that cut of meat is called. rub with salt&pepper and prick or lay with bacon.Roast slowly until done thru.It is very dry,so make up a good gravy with mushrooms,chanterell mushrooms if you can get them,serve with either young,small boiled spuds or noodles,and a small amoumt of cranberry sauce. Present it at the table whole with the meat precut on the spine.So you take it piece by piece.

Most importantly with shot hares is that you press out their bladder by pressing down the stomach with obviously the exits pointing away from you.Otherwise the urine will destroy the taste of the meat somthing quick and fierce.Also know how to kill them quickly if injured with a blow to the back of the head with a stick or knife butt.Grab the back legs and a sharp blow to the base of the skull is a quick end for them.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

johngalway wrote: »
    To eat perhaps. Lot of places in England they're shot to keep, shall we say, undesirables from wrecking the place while running dogs.

its a big problem ,my sister has a stud farm in newbury ,there is no hunting on it its full of roe and hares there full time keeping undesirables with hounds off it.

Odysseus wrote: »
    I agree, I have been luckly enough to have done that everytime. I would not be happy myself with that situation.

happened to me 25 years ago, i have not or would not shoot one from then till now

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    In pasta???:eek::eek:.Traditional way to do them is to take out the spine whole,or whatever that cut of meat is called. rub with salt&pepper and prick or lay with bacon.Roast slowly until done thru.It is very dry,so make up a good gravy with mushrooms,chanterell mushrooms if you can get them,serve with either young,small boiled spuds or noodles,and a small amoumt of cranberry sauce. Present it at the table whole with the meat precut on the spine.So you take it piece by piece.

Most importantly with shot hares is that you press out their bladder by pressing down the stomach with obviously the exits pointing away from you.Otherwise the urine will destroy the taste of the meat somthing quick and fierce.Also know how to kill them quickly if injured with a blow to the back of the head with a stick or knife butt.Grab the back legs and a sharp blow to the base of the skull is a quick end for them.

Believe me very tasy;) As I saying above when finished I am left with a bowl of cooked meat and I then add it to various meals. Yeah I empty the baldder so soon I have shot it. I have done the above if it still jecking. In some cases I have just put another shot in the head. Like all of you guys, I want quick humane kills.

Thanks for the cooking suggestion I will give that go. With the boilding method and then using the olive oil I just the meat quite moist and tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Shotguns, by day. From September till the end of February.

The variety in Wexford is a sub-species protected all year. Didn't stop a particular brand of Hiace and Transit drivers from letting their mongrels run at them and make a dent in the population though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

lads around here are getting between 70 and 90 for hares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

jap gt wrote: »
    lads around here are getting between 70 and 90 for hares

Same in my area :mad:

last time i was talking to one of the lads that does it he said they had spent 3 days snaring and so on and had caught 34 hares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

If he said it to me I'd be saying it to local Gardai & wildlife ranger ;)

• Advertisement

it had crossed my mind, horrible way to make money in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Odysseus wrote: »
    Believe me very tasy;) As I saying above when finished I am left with a bowl of cooked meat and I then add it to various meals. Yeah I empty the baldder so soon I have shot it. I have done the above if it still jecking. In some cases I have just put another shot in the head. Like all of you guys, I want quick humane kills.

Thanks for the cooking suggestion I will give that go. With the boilding method and then using the olive oil I just the meat quite moist and tender.

Shot a hare last weekend in Leongatta in Australia. Slow roasted in an oven bag with onion and a touch of Garlic. Meat was very tender and tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭gavlaw

hares are protected your not ment to shoot them
    but accidents happen

gavlaw wrote: »
    hares are protected your not ment to shoot them
    but accidents happen

No I believe I'm correct now in the above that there is a season for them, and it ends the end of Feb. I have heard so many different opinions, can, remember the link I have for it, but I'll try dig it out again. Anyway, I can this 100% I have researched it, and to the best of my knowledge I can stand over the above. It was in the act, or some other garda link I took my position on.

you could be iv never shot a hare iv had pleanty of chances to i was told they were protected an now that i sold my shotgun an bought a rifle people are saying that i wouldn need to be shooting hares

you could be iv never shot a hare iv had pleanty of chances to i was told they were protected an now that i sold my shotgun an bought a rifle people are saying that i wouldn need to be shooting hares

I can't remember fully, and my partner is arriving up to soon so I be offline, but I can't remember if it was shotgun only. There are alot of different opinions around the "protected" or not. However, with my O/U I'm happy to shoot them [and eat them] and as far as one can with the way the law is over here, I believe that I am within the law until the end of next month.

well all i will say is happy hunting

well all i will say is happy hunting

Well I have to make up for not getting out on the last day of the season tomorrow;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Hares (excluding the following townlands in Co. Wexford: North East Slob, North West Slob, Big Island, Beggerin Island and the Raven). can be shot with shotgun only from 26th September to 28th February

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

J.R. wrote: »
    Hares (excluding the following townlands in Co. Wexford: North East Slob, North West Slob, Big Island, Beggerin Island and the Raven). can be shot with shotgun only from 26th September to 28th February

Sorry JR where is the with shotgun only bit? My rifle licence says I can shoot hares, there is a season for it so I believe it is ok to shoot hare in season with a rifle or a shotgun. feel free to correct me if I am wrong, that siad I havn't shot any and theres plenty around me!!!

Advertisement