Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Art....

Options
  • 15-01-2010 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

I decided to take a look at the Art book there a few minutes ago, and I was just thinking..... What have I let myself in for at all?

The Art class in our school is an after-school affair. 2 hours every Wednesday, by the end of which I'm ready to forget about the whole thing, there's now 3 people studying it for the Leaving, 2 TYs and a good few 3rd Years.

We've covered up to Early Christian Ireland (yes, I know) in class, but I've done up to The Renaissance or so on my own. It's a joke, but sure that's what you get for being a bit creative in a boy's school in the midlands.

Is this the case for anyone else studying Art? How much work should I be prepared to do to catch up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

You do know you only have to cover two sections, right? If you've done Early Christian Ireland and the Renaissance, then you're grand. That's your history covered, you just have appreciation next. And you can't really prepare for those sections as such*, a lot of them are the kind you just bullsh1t through on the day.

*Excluding a trip to a gallery essay, which seems to come up every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ithoughtitwasap

Hah! Had no idea! Thanks very much, told you the class is a joke in my school! :P

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Sorry I'm unable to help you but I just thought I would say this in anyways,

I go to a private school/grinds school, whatever, its fine.
    But every single person who does Art up there, every year generally does horrible. Nothing against Art, I know people who done it and done amazing, but Tralee folk just seem to do nothing but art and fall apart in all other subjects, its amazing, funny is, our Art teacher was told this year if the results were poor again then she'd lose her job.
    Anyways, thats my 'rant' over, I wish you all the best with whatever decision you make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Bhoy_

If you want you should do through the Baroque movement and the Stone Age or Bronze Age, just as a backup. All three are really easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

I do art so I might be a little help.
    Try covering Stone,Bronze, Iron/ La Tene periods, then manuscripts and crosses. That's your entire Irish section Done. We've studied quite a lot of artists though since then, we cleared all that at the beginning of 5th year =/.
    What renaissance stuff have you studied?History of art is worth quite a small percentage though if I remember right =/. Have you done the gallary trip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Orlaladuck wrote: »
    I do art so I might be a little help.
    Try covering Stone,Bronze, Iron/ La Tene periods, then manuscripts and crosses. That's your entire Irish section Done. We've studied quite a lot of artists though since then, we cleared all that at the beginning of 5th year =/.
    What renaissance stuff have you studied?History of art is worth quite a small percentage though if I remember right =/. Have you done the gallary trip?

I've gone through the exam papers for the last 13 or so years,

For the Irish section EVERY YEAR either,

Stone age
    Bronze age or
    Iron age

Came up, so you could only guess they'll come up again ;)

Also in the european section Nearly every year 2 essays come up on the renaissance.

YOu should be ok to do that.

Oh and every essay is worth 12.5% so basically a whole grade =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 goldenlady131

Lawliet wrote: »
    You do know you only have to cover two sections, right? If you've done Early Christian Ireland and the Renaissance, then you're grand. That's your history covered, you just have appreciation next. And you can't really prepare for those sections as such*, a lot of them are the kind you just bullsh1t through on the day.

*Excluding a trip to a gallery essay, which seems to come up every year.
    What? We were told there was like three sections to cover and like two different parts to appreciation. /

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 goldenlady131

I decided to take a look at the Art book there a few minutes ago, and I was just thinking..... What have I let myself in for at all?

The Art class in our school is an after-school affair. 2 hours every Wednesday, by the end of which I'm ready to forget about the whole thing, there's now 3 people studying it for the Leaving, 2 TYs and a good few 3rd Years.

We've covered up to Early Christian Ireland (yes, I know) in class, but I've done up to The Renaissance or so on my own. It's a joke, but sure that's what you get for being a bit creative in a boy's school in the midlands.

Is this the case for anyone else studying Art? How much work should I be prepared to do to catch up?
    I personally hate the art history course, not because of how boring it can be but just how picky the questions are and how our teacher goes through it.
    Right now we get like one or two classes of art history a week, and even at that we're barely covering anything. And it seems like nobody in the class can get higher than a C grade when doing history essays. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

What? We were told there was like three sections to cover and like two different parts to appreciation. /
    There are three sections to cover: one section from Irish history, and one section from Europe history, and then of course the appreciation.

I'm not sure what you mean by two different parts to the appreciation section, but then my teacher chooses not to teach this section as a separate part, but instead integrates it into the history and practical art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

All you need is Newgrange/Stone/Iron/Bronze Ages, Impressionism, Post-Impressionism and a trip to a gallery. The course is so unnecessarily long.

• Advertisement
Advertisement