Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Card De-activated

Options
  • 15-01-2010 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

Just had my bank card (debit) de-activated. Was drunk and pinned a few many times incorrectly. The machine informed me it was de-activated. Does this me permanently or will I be able to try again tomorrow or in a day or two. I mean on the basis that since the I can't sort this out until Monday since otherwise I'd just go in and sort it out with them. Of course I don't deserve money for my idiocy :D

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You'll need to ring your bank and get them to reset your PIN, so yo can start using it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Thanks for the reply Toots. Would they do this instantly so that I could use it tomorrow? [My main problem is that I'm funding a family event tomorrow and with no bankcard this would be quite awkward!]

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭IKOS

scop wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Toots. Would they do this instantly so that I could use it tomorrow? [My main problem is that I'm funding a family event tomorrow and with no bankcard this would be quite awkward!]

Hi there,

I reset the PIN on an Ulster Bank Visa Debit card via the ATM. They told me (UB Anytime Banking) when you insert the card, select "PIN Services" and the "Unlock PIN"

Mine was locked when in a shop where I entered it three times incorrectly, I am not sure if this will work when it was "locked/deactivated" in an ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It won't. As far as I understand the PIN exists in two places - the stripe on the back, and the chip. Entering three times incorrectly will block your shopping pin (the one on the chip) whereas in a cashpoint it will block the.. erm.. other pin (the one on the stripe).

scop, they may be able to unblock it immediately, yes. Although I imagine different banks have different procedures.

Thanks guys. This has put my mind a little bit at rest although I realize it is not certain they will reset it. I'll see what happens in the morning and hopefully all goes OK.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Who do you bank with Scop?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭IKOS

Gordon wrote: »
    It won't. As far as I understand the PIN exists in two places - the stripe on the back, and the chip. Entering three times incorrectly will block your shopping pin (the one on the chip) whereas in a cashpoint it will block the.. erm.. other pin (the one on the stripe).

scop, they may be able to unblock it immediately, yes. Although I imagine different banks have different procedures.

Hi Gordon,

I never thought of that! It must be the chip that can be reset - I suppose this makes sense as to protect against ATM fraud etc!

cheers.

Toots* wrote: »
    Who do you bank with Scop?

I'm with AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Did you get it sorted?

I think AIB are similar to BOI, when you reset your PIN you should be able to use it from midnight.

• Advertisement

No I rang and he told it would work if I remembered the pin...and I still can't for some weird reason. I tried it again once or twice and it does allow you to keep trying. I'm just gonna ask for a new pin to be sent out tomorrow.

Advertisement