Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this a good idea? Feeeeeeeeeeeeeedback please :)

Options
  • 15-01-2010 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

OK, so my single text is King Lear, Dancing at Lughnasa, Panther in the Basement and Billy Elliot are my comparatives, I dont understand a thing in King Lear, like ive studied, i tried, i just dont get it. Do you think I could swap King Lear int comparatives and DAL as the single text?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Isn't King Lear a specific question though?
    I don't think so, since there is a list of things which can be studied in the comparative and I don't think King Lear is on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Colm C

Isn't King Lear a specific question though?
    I don't think so, since there is a list of things which can be studied in the comparative and I don't think King Lear is on it.
    This.

Im doing the same texts as you and hate most of them TBH.But there is a specific question on Shakespeare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

you don't have to do king lear for the single text but if you dont you have to do it in the comparative.

however theres a shorter list of texts for the single text question and you need to check if your other texts are one of these

the answer is on www.education.ie under syllabus because they give the list of 2010 single texts for honours english

yes you can do DAL for the single text but not PITB or BE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Those texts don't seem too bad. I hate my texts so much, but I admit that they are easy to write on/understand.

Girl With A Pearl Earring, Sive, Casablanca.
    I have yet to meet someone else outside my school doing these 3, anywhere.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

Those texts don't seem too bad. I hate my texts so much, but I admit that they are easy to write on/understand.

Girl With A Pearl Earring, Sive, Casablanca.
    I have yet to meet someone else outside my school doing these 3, anywhere.:(

I believe Sandford Park in Dublin are doing Casablanca :D

I however have the dire Lies of Silence and Fly Away Peter redeemed only by the Truman Show.

btw you have to do Lear. There is a set question on the play. Not only need you not but you most definatley should not use Lear for your comparitive. Use 3 other texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

It's quite late to be changing texts at this point though isn't it?
    What exactly don't you understand about Lear? Maybe we could help you with that?

Also a few classes in my school are doing king lear. My own class are doing Pride and Prejudice, Truman Show and Oedipus the King. Noone seems to be doing Oedipus at all:cool:

RexMundi wrote: »
    btw you have to do Lear. There is a set question on the play. Not only need you not but you most definatley should not use Lear for your comparitive. Use 3 other texts.

all wrong :eek:

look at last years english (H) paper 2 and tell me why at the top of the paper it says

' '
    N.B. Candidates must answer on Shakespearean Drama.
    They may do so in SECTION I, The Single Text (
    Macbeth)
    or in SECTION II, The Comparative Study (Macbeth, The Tempest).''

Glad we got that cleared up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

pathway33 wrote: »
    all wrong :eek:

look at last years english (H) paper 2 and tell me why at the top of the paper it says

' '
    N.B. Candidates must answer on Shakespearean Drama.
    They may do so in SECTION I, The Single Text (
    Macbeth)
    or in SECTION II, The Comparative Study (Macbeth, The Tempest).''

Glad we got that cleared up :D

Shakespeare.
    Serious Business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 doug.irl.92

Orlaladuck wrote: »
    Noone seems to be doing Oedipus at all:cool:
    We're doing Oedipus!!!!:D Along with Lies of Silence and the Truman Show.

• Advertisement
Advertisement