Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

foot thro ceiling - help!

• 15-01-2010 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

i've been on recently re over-flow pipe prob and thought it all sorted. had a drop thro ceiling but plummer re-assured me it was "some condensation in attic" and no leaks etc and tbh i didn't question any further as he was saying not to worry and i took his word for it.
    this eve was up the attic again and unfortunately was not as careful as usual to keep to the wooden parts and stepped off them and ... put foot thro the ceiling! took up insulation to see a big wet patch and the insulation was pretty wet. seems to be confined to one patch but i wasn't prepared to pull up all my insulation...

what to do? i'm gonna get plummer out again to DOUBLE check again for leaks etc. who do i get to fix my ceiling? carpenter? is it likely that i can just get the damaged part replaced? (approx 40 sq cm) or do i need to get whole landing ceiling replaced :eek: ? at what point could i be looking at insurance as i've no idea what to expect cost wise?

FINALLY, i'm in navan and anybody local who could be recommended would be appreciated?

big thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

After the frost, its best call a good plumber over to have quick check over pipework in attic (if not sure about plumbing system). After the frost I had to fix a few tiny cracks in mains pipework, very have to find leak as fine cracks only let out a mist of water, any noticeable wetness under insulation is not a good sign.

Foot through ceiling happens all the time, would'nt be worried about it, even the best plasterer will have difficulty patching up ceiling without ever not noticing the patch if you get me, you'll always see the patch all depends on light, might show up more during night than day. If you can afford it, best fix up hole and re skim entire ceiling. If your not that fussy about ceiling then patch will do. No idea on exact prices, it wont cost as much as it would have two years ago. You could buy whats needed yourself then pay plasterer for just time, shouldn't take more than a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

When I moved in here the plaster was sagging in the kitchen about a ft sq due to leak from bath overhead, it was 'plastered over' before I moved in but as items says you can still notice it IF you choose to keep looking up and are very particular, it annoyed me for a while but tbh it's no big deal unless you are cash rich and want the real mcCoy. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I would not get the same plumber tbh. If he was to laxy to check he does not deserve the work. There is a lot of good plumbers in navan out of work at the moment.

A little trick i have for finding small leaks is to get cardbaord. Put it down around the suspected leak and check every couple of hours. If no leak check over night.

Always check after rain.

I suspect that the leak is not coming form plumbing as it always ends up bad enough to notice. I suspect your chimney flashing might be giving you trouble, Is the leak near your chimney or can you see stains on the ceiling joists where its traveling down.

Insurence works funny on leaks. The schisters do not cover you for the leak unless its storm damage but the will cover you for resulting damage.

Find the leak as soon as possible. Plug it and take up the fibreglass in the affected area and let the heat of the house dry it out.

ps: Paddles no offence ment I remember your name I just looked at your history. You need to sort this soon its been on your mind a while.. I dont believe this is the plumbing. I think all your problems may be combined. But then again I am no mind reader...Try the cardboard. Let us know how it goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭paddles

"I would not get the same plumber tbh. If he was to laxy to check he does not deserve the work. There is a lot of good plumbers in navan out of work at the moment.

the wet patch is cpmpletely dry today and there was really heavy rain here last night.. i've gone around pulling up random pieces of insulation and there doesn't appear to be nay other damp parts.

A little trick i have for finding small leaks is to get cardbaord. Put it down around the suspected leak and check every couple of hours. If no leak check over night."

i'll try this.

I suspect that the leak is not coming form plumbing as it always ends up bad enough to notice. I suspect your chimney flashing might be giving you trouble, Is the leak near your chimney or can you see stains on the ceiling joists where its traveling down.

nowhere near the chimney! beside the water tank.

QOUTE
    Insurence works funny on leaks. The schisters do not cover you for the leak unless its storm damage but the will cover you for resulting damage.

hiopefully won't require a claim.

ps: Paddles no offence ment I remember your name I just looked at your history. You need to sort this soon its been on your mind a while.. I dont believe this is the plumbing. I think all your problems may be combined. But then again I am no mind reader...Try the cardboard. Let us know how it goes...[/quote]

not quite sure what you mean there. i got a plummer to sort out the pipes prob. the overflow prob is since sorted as i had to replace the 2 ball cocks. if you are also referring to my chimney query, this has subsided. i got chimney cleaned and no smell now. also maybe the extremely cold weather made the smoke smell seem stronger., anyway, no longer an issue. the felt is still possibly an issue but talking to people am not as concerned about that. besides, the places where the black felt is starting to peel, is nowhere near the damp patch/water tank either.

the plummer is coming back to check pipes again. but i will do the cardboard test first.

Advertisement