Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a blockhead- Rush Limbaugh

Options
  • 15-01-2010 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20100115/pl_politico/31539
    Rush Limbaugh is not backing down from his claim that President Barack Obama is trying to score political points off the earthquake in Haiti.
    Challenged by a caller during his show Thursday, Limbaugh said: “If I said it, I meant to say it, and I do believe that everything is political to this president.”
    “Everything this president sees is a political opportunity, including Haiti, and he will use it to burnish his credentials with minorities in this country and around the world, and to accuse Republicans of having no compassion,” Limbaugh said in comments flagged by the liberal blog Think Progress.
    Limbaugh has come under fire from both the right and the left for saying that the earthquake played directly into Obama’s hands, allowing him to look “compassionate.” The host claimed the White House’s response would bolster Obama’s standing in the “light-skinned and dark-skinned black community in this country.”
    He also appeared to discourage help for the island nation, saying, “We've already donated to Haiti. It’s called the U.S. income tax.”
    Critics have characterized Limbaugh’s comments as insensitive and tone-deaf at a time when heartbreaking images of the devastation dominate news coverage.
    Confronted with some of that criticism, Limbaugh slammed a caller as “close-minded.”
    “What I’m illustrating here is that you’re a blockhead,” Limbaugh shot back. “What I’m illustrating here is that you’re a close-minded bigot who is ill-informed.”
    “If you had listened to this program for a modicum of time, you would know it,” he said. “But instead, you’re a blockhead. Your mind is totally closed. You have tampons in your ears. Nothing is getting through other than the biased crap that you read.”

Irony is not even the word.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,349 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I really dont see whats wrong with the comments, except maybe
    He also appeared to discourage help for the island nation, saying, “We've already donated to Haiti. It’s called the U.S. income tax.”

Its really obvious before you tune in to any pundits that this (and the slow and pussy-footed response to the Underwear Bomber and the recent China Hackings) is a Foreign Policy aimed at making America look like the Good Guys. And its Calculated. A hard steer to Port, away from "Gun-Toting Vengeful Bible-Thumping America".

Whats wrong with saying that exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

Limbaugh has come under fire from both the right and the left for saying that the earthquake played directly into Obama’s hands

Same could be said about 9/11 and Bush...:cool::p

Okay... thats basically whining because the President was given "something Easy" to politicize. Im sure Rush would have been happy if Obama's Term was as Dull as a brick with only healthcare to mull over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

People are dying in the streets and when a president does something to help it's for political reasons?

Sometimes you just have to put politics aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Overheal wrote: »

Its really obvious before you tune in to any pundits that this (and the slow and pussy-footed response to the Underwear Bomber and the recent China Hackings) is a Foreign Policy aimed at making America look like the Good Guys. And its Calculated. A hard steer to Port, away from "Gun-Toting Vengeful Bible-Thumping America".

The fact that you see this event as an oppurtunity to attack a president you have ideological differences with, just as the first corpses start rotting, should be a sign to you that you should take your head out of your ass, smell the flowers and stop looking at everything, EVERYTHING, through a pathetic partisan prism.
    You really see a correlation between his reaction to the ****ing 'underwear bomber'; an event in which no one was hurt, the authorities were dealing with and anything Obama would have said, before the authorities had gathered all information, would make no difference or sense and a huge natural disaster that will result in possibly hundreds of thousands of deaths?
    Maybe he should have went big on the 'China Hackings' at this point and then brought up the situation in Haiti. Yeah, that would make sense.
    Even if you see nefarious, calculated positioning in his response, (and in my view it would take a skewed perspecitive to do so), it's still the correct response, from every conceivable angle.
    I wouldn't expect anything better from that toad Limbaugh; maybe you agree with him in general but how you can rush to his defense in this instance is beyond me.
    I'm not going to personalise this so i'll just say that i believe that anyone who is looking at this from that angle, at best, needs to grow up.

• Advertisement

ascanbe wrote: »
    The fact that you see this event as an oppurtunity to attack a president you have ideological differences with, [?] just as the first corpses start rotting, should be a sign to you that you should take your head out of your ass, smell the flowers and stop looking at everything, EVERYTHING, through a pathetic partisan prism.
    You really see a correlation between his reaction to the ****ing 'underwear bomber'; an event in which no one was hurt, the authorities were dealing with and anything Obama would have said, before the authorities had gathered all information, would make no difference or sense and a huge natural disaster that will result in possibly hundreds of thousands of deaths?
    Maybe he should have went big on the 'China Hackings' at this point and then brought up the situation in Haiti. Yeah, that would make sense.
    Even if you see nefarious, calculated positioning in his response, (and in my view it would take a skewed perspecitive to do so), it's still the correct response, from every conceivable angle.
    I wouldn't expect anything better from that toad Limbaugh; maybe you agree with him in general but how you can rush to his defense in this instance is beyond me.
    I'm not going to personalise this so i'll just say that i believe that anyone who is looking at this from that angle, at best, needs to grow up.
    ...You arent?

*Emphasis Added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I really dont see whats wrong with the comments, except maybe (............)

This is part of the original rant.....
    Obama will use Haiti to boost credibility with "light-skinned and dark-skinned black community in this country"
    http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201001130018

I ammend my comment to include that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

...You arent?

*Emphasis Added.

Bit of an unwieldy rant on my part; I'd had a few.
    I did use the qualifier 'should be a sign to you that you should' before launching into my list of, eh, recommendations; therefore, they were presented to you as actions that, in my opinion, you should take rather direct commands.
    Still, the tone of my post was, i concede, unnecessarily harsh.

ascanbe wrote: »
    Bit of an unwieldy rant on my part; I'd had a few.
    I did use the qualifier 'should be a sign to you that you should' before launching into my list of, eh, recommendations; therefore, they were presented to you as actions that, in my opinion, you should take rather direct commands.
    Still, the tone of my post was, i concede, unnecessarily harsh.
    Only use Qualifiers in moderation ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

No matter what side of the political spectrum you fall on (and absolutely politicians will take advantage of this disaster all over the world), it only comes across as mean-spirited for a multi-millionaire like Rush who has such an incrediblly large supporter base to actively discourage people from donating towards this cause, whilst people are still dying, for purely political reasons.

It says in the original article that Rush is taking attacks from the left and the right which is complete nonsense. He is the de facto leader of the Republican party and no politician will risk disagreeing with him, Michael Steele learnt his lesson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

Lets not give the impression that this was a lively debate. It is reasonable to question the motives of giving foreign aid but this is not a reasonable debate:
    What I’m illustrating here is that you’re a blockhead
    If you had listened to this program for a modicum of time, you would know it, but instead, you’re a blockhead. Your mind is totally closed. You have tampons in your ears. Nothing is getting through other than the biased crap that you read

How about making a logical argument rather than attempting to humiliate your caller on air in defence of your argument? I'm quickly reaching the conclusion that the reason why this kind of broadcasting is so successful is because people who agree like to hear their view points held up against all criticism and people who disagree with it tune in just to see what crazy notion is going through the airwaves this week. Even on the occasion I agree I disagree with how the argument is presented, often persuasively rather than informatively but I guess that's why CNN's ratings are falling and Fox's are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The alternative to Obama giving US help to Haiti is for the US not to help Haiti. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

He's an admitted oxy-contin addict, a notoriously difficult drug to break free of.

So how much of his barely coherant babbling is drug induced is anyones guess but I have no interest in anything he has to say.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Well at least he hasn't jumped on this HAARP Conspiracy Theory. Alex Jones probably will though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

I notice those most ridiculed are all to often those most feared.

Advertisement