Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are these otter tracks?

• 15-01-2010 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭

The second picture provides some perspective of the size; you can see the tracks on the right side of the sand.

I took this picture on Garris beach in Waterford last week. An otter is the only thing I can think of. I thought that all Mustelids have 5 toes? Could be wrong on that though.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Irishmarinelife

ottertracsand.gif
    This is a different species as its a river otter in California, I took it from this site http://www.bear-tracker.com/otter.html, but it agrees with your images particularly with regard to the pointed toes.

Beautiful elusive creature, especially in marine habitats.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

DSC01041.JPG

This is an otter footprint, taken at Dooks beach near the Caragh River estuary. I'm no expert but checked this against Google Images and it seems to be right. Our labrador puppy Riley surprised an otter on the foreshore there a few months ago and thankfully the otter chose to run away instead of biting Riley's nose off, which it could easily do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

There are certainly stoat and otter in and around Garrarus. Did they head up into the cliffs by any chance?
    I'm no expert on tracks so I'll leave the ID to someone more versed in these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Valmont,
    Your first pic is Otter. Yes, he has 5 toes. Can't see much in the second pic.
    Oliverdog,
    Your excellent pic is of a right fore foot I believe.
    When taking pics of prints, do try to get more than one in the photo and put anything down on the ground for size comparison, even a car key or lighter, etc.

Advertisement