Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central heating problem since freeze

• 15-01-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

I have a sealed central heating system gas boiler.At the moment the boiler seems to work ok but I have no heating.Water seems to be heating ok for taps.I have noticed a constant stream of water from the overflow pipe which is located
    just over the boiler and goes outside the house.I am at a loss as to what is going on.It is times like this that I really miss my late father who was a plumber.I didn't learn much from him'I am more electric minded myself.Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Phoenix3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Sounds like your boiler safety is passing, is water coming out of a small 1/2 copper pipe? If so best call board gas (if service part of account) or find a RGII person close by. You shouldn't really run boiler when water is passing through safety, boiler is taking in fresh water, not good as fresh water brings internal boiler corrosion. You might have to leave heating off until safety is replaced, hopefully you should have an immersion fitted in hot water cylinder to heat water.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    I have a sealed central heating system gas boiler.At the moment the boiler seems to work ok but I have no heating.Water seems to be heating ok for taps.I have noticed a constant stream of water from the overflow pipe which is located
    just over the boiler and goes outside the house.I am at a loss as to what is going on.It is times like this that I really miss my late father who was a plumber.I didn't learn much from him'I am more electric minded myself.Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Phoenix3

anybody press buttons or switches on the boiler - check for a switch on the boiler which allows for hot water to be generated and no heat - and then the opposite side of the switch allows for heating and hot water

Could be a combi boiler, both heat exchangers tend to work off same safety valve, if its safety valve constantly passing and not over flow in attic, then boiler needs attention.

Modern combi boiler shouldn't really run if loosing pressure (safety passing)

Wouldn't mind finding out what make boiler is.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

items wrote: »
    Could be a combi boiler, both heat exchangers tend to work off same safety valve, if its safety valve constantly passing and not over flow in attic, then boiler needs attention.

Modern combi boiler shouldn't really run if loosing pressure (safety passing)

Wouldn't mind finding out what make boiler is.

It is the safety valve that is passing water-The model is "Ideal Classic"

Thanks for those replies.

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    It is the safety valve that is passing water-The model is "Ideal Classic"

Thanks for those replies.

Potterton boiler.

The ideal classic made 7 or 8 years ago has PCB (printed circuit board) issues, I don't even know if they can be replaced anymore (PCB). Boiler tends to lock out and can not be reset without all kinds of fiddling about with controls (temp & reset button) eventually boiler will refuse to reset, many had PCB replaced but it got a stage where problems continued, last I heard Ideal classics are now being replaced as its too difficult / costly to replace / maintain boiler internals.

Just giving you heads up on what to expect, not to be bearer of bad news.

• Advertisement
Advertisement