Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator Issues

• 15-01-2010 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi All,
    I have a 7 year old house and the radiators are banging when the heating is coming on, and not fully heating and I want to try and get this sorted out. We live in the West Wicklow area and the water is deemed hard.

Could the issue be lime scale build up, airlocks or something else?

I'm torn between getting a plumber in to take a look or else getting a company in to do a Power flushing of the central heating system to clear out any mess that's in there. Has anyone done this before and is it a good option?

Thanks for any help,
    J.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

7 years old is not really old enough for a power flush, I cant see that much internal corrosion building up in just 7 years. Are you sure its corrosion / sludge build up that's causing problem?

Limescale only really effects plumbing when water supply is hard water. Hot water suffers mostly as pipe work is constantly taking fresh water then heated, the process leaves built up deposits of limescale throughout hot water services.

Heating is different, system is filled once and that water for the majority of time stays in heating system, its heated so many times and re circulated, limescale is kind of killed off.

Can be many reasons why heating is not working properly other than sludge build up, rule out all the common things first like, heating filled correctly and vented, heating fill left open or heating pressurized to required pressure, system balanced, circulation pumps are correct size along with running, boiler serviced, expansion vessel checked (if fitted). See if you can make sense of those first before thinking about power flushing.

Advertisement