Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of pulling the plug on a new pair of shades

• 15-01-2010 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

A pair of Rudy project Rydon glasses to be precise.

I know these are up in the price range of some Oakleys but I have tried on Oakleys a few times and I was never really that impressed. I think the Rydons will suit me better.

I'm thinking of getting a pair with the Impact-X lenses, Something like this...(Sorry for the huge pic)zoom_18-10-08rydon_transparent.jpgrudy-rydon-imx-zoom.jpg

I'm open to other options and experiences. I have done a search for these on here and have read all the threads related to Rudy project but I'd certianly like to see other options before I splash the cash.

Thanks for any help;)

zoom_18-10-08rydon_transparent.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

why would you spend som much on clear shades like these unless there optical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

you mean trigger right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

The bottom lenses in the pic are photochromic. ie they can vary the amount of light getting through. If it is dark they only block out a maximum of 20% If it is bright and sunny they can block out 78%

Trigger...Correct.

Note to self, stay off the wine on a friday night when posting on boards:D

Hide the credit card QUICK

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭corkandproud

How much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I was wondering why you want to "pull the plug" on something it sounds like you really want.

I was wondering why you want to "pull the plug" on something it sounds like you really want.

Too much wine after a hard week at work.
    Pull the trigger, Pull the trigger, Pull the trigger, Pull the trigger, Pull the trigger, Pull the trigger, Pull the trigger, Pull the trigger, Pull the trigger, Pull the trigger, Pull the trigger, Pull the trigger, Pull the trigger, Pull the trigger, Pull the trigger, Pull the trigger, Pull the trigger, Pull the trigger, Pull the trigger, Pull the trigger,

Sorry:p Don't worry, My credit card has been hidden away before I do something REALLY stupid.

How much?

€103 with CRC.

I have a "Platinum" Discount with Wiggle, add in the current sale voucher "BONUS-20GBP" which gives a £20 reduction on orders over £100 the total comes to €124.50:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

I have a pair of these, actually if you scroll down I've got a pair of Evil Eye explorer L a134-6054 - best pair of glasses I've ever had, I've had Oakleys, Rudy Projects before..

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Haldir

Bought a pair of these last year in white to match my white Giro Atmos helmet....
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Giro_Havik_Metallic_Sunglasses/5360035648/
    ... good enough for Berti Contador :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

You may want to consider Maui Jim glasses. They're probably not the most "Euro" and I'm not sure if they make cycling specific frames but they're the best lens on the market IMHO.
    I had laser treatment in 2000 and they were recommended to me by the surgeon as being far superior to Oakley / Ray Ban etc etc, I've had a few pairs since then and they've been brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Don't get the non-ImpactX Rudy Project lenses, for reasons that you've no doubt read about.

When I went to CSS a while back, it was very difficult to find anything half decent with ImpactX lenses. I went through a whole stack of Rudy boxes looking for ImpactX ones, and there were hardly any, and none in the style I wanted.

Also, CSS's stock system is hopeless. The website rarely shows correct stock levels.

In the end I ordered some custom Oakleys off the UK site.

...which don't match my new club kit

I've had a look at all the other glasses suggested still think the Rudys are a good choice for me. I will stretch for the impact-X lenses after reading of experiences of other boardsies.

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lumen wrote: »
    Also, CSS's stock system is hopeless. The website rarely shows correct stock levels.

This is true, I went in for a pair of gatorskins listed as in stock, they had none, they were still "in stock" when I went home.

I wouldn't order anything online from them without ringing up first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Is there any functional difference between the different kinds of sunglasses? I always treat sunglasses as disposable items because I've lost so many pairs of them, so my current ones cost 12 euro from Decathlon (and they have interchangeable lenses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I have to say that I prefer the Rudy look over the Oakley look. However I have not bought a pair as IIRC, didnt Tunney have a review where they shattered in a crash??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Golfanatic wrote: »
    why would you spend som much on clear shades like these unless there optical?

Because they're euro... it's all style over practicality mate :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

penexpers wrote: »
    Is there any functional difference between the different kinds of sunglasses? I always treat sunglasses as disposable items because I've lost so many pairs of them, so my current ones cost 12 euro from Decathlon (and they have interchangeable lenses)

There is a very big difference between the lenses in a cheap pair and a high quality set of say Oakleys. You can get anti-fog, anti-glare, proper shatter proof, etc.

Saying that, I'm using the set I got free from Wiggle last year and they mostly are fine. I plan on taking my Oakleys when I got to Spain as the sun actually shines over there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

The bottom lenses in the pic are photochromic. ie they can vary the amount of light getting through. If it is dark they only block out a maximum of 20% If it is bright and sunny they can block out 78%

I have two pairs of Rudy Projects, both with ImpactX photochromic lenses: one Rydon with 'clear' lenses, they are very good for road / city use, fairly quick to darken / lighten according to conditions, they go from almost clear to a dark grey in a few minutes, colours remain true to life and they have good wind protection, the lenses and frame are very lightweight and seem pretty tough. Highly recommended.

The other are 'Kaylos' with the reddish tint ImpactX lenses as in your 2nd pic. The frames on these are not so good as the Rydons, a lot more flexy. The lenses give a good contrast to greenery but the colours are not as true to life. They don't seem to darken as much as the clears either. I find these better for overcast days on trails.

I used mostly cheaper brands in the past, including some pretty good Tifosi models, but all had problems with weak frames. The Rudy's are a big step up from these in quality. Can't comment on Oakley's as I have never tried them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

A pair of Rudy project Rydon glasses to be precise.

I know these are up in the price range of some Oakleys but I have tried on Oakleys a few times and I was never really that impressed. I think the Rydons will suit me better.

I'm thinking of getting a pair with the Impact-X lenses, Something like this...(Sorry for the huge pic)zoom_18-10-08rydon_transparent.jpgrudy-rydon-imx-zoom.jpg

I'm open to other options and experiences. I have done a search for these on here and have read all the threads related to Rudy project but I'd certianly like to see other options before I splash the cash.

Thanks for any help;)

zoom_18-10-08rydon_transparent.jpg

I had a pair of these. I still have parts of the lenses embedded in the side of my head.

They shatter - both the lenses and the frames - and in a crash the last thing you want is exploding glasses around your eyes and face.

• Advertisement

Well I went down a totally different route.

Having tried on lots of Oakleys and rudy project glasses i realised that I did'nt really like them. (Read as: I did'nt want to drop over €100 on something that I was not 100% sure about.

A couple of year ago I was at a show in the UK and bought a pair of sunwise sunglasses. I still have them and use them all the time driving and I really like them. I looked them up www.sunwise.co.uk and found that I liked these,

whitelh.jpg

I contacted the company to find out where i could purchase them on-line. No response:mad:

So I bought them on E-Bay. Very happy with them, they are similar to my old pair size and fit wise. Light as a feather and great quality frames and lenses. €60 delivered:cool:

Thanks for all the help:pac:

Advertisement