Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest/best place to get Solid fuel stove?

Options
  • 15-01-2010 10:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Im looking at buying a solid fuel stove for my sitting room.

A chap said to me today that its way cheaper to go up North and get a new Stanley stove up there.

Does anyone know where is the best place to get a stanlty stove or similar good make of solid fuel stove?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

i dont know if there is much of a saving going north if its only for 1 stove when you consider fuel, time etc.
    from what i was told the stanley stoves are not great value for money.
    you can pick up a good 8kw stove for about 500 euros down here.
    i got a 6.5 kw stove off eblag for 290 euros delivered to my door and it works just as good as any of the more expensive ones .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

pm sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭networks

mr edge could you send me the pm as well cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'll move this to the prices/costs sub forum so we can avoid a litany of PM requests.

The suppliers name may now be posted up here if mr ety so chooses.

There was a similiar post a few weeks back. We got a Stanley Tara non-boiler model for 720e in Ganly's in Athlone. They stock quite a few brands too. They were also giving 30 free bales of briquettes as part of an ongoing Stanley promotion. That's worth about 100e! C'mon the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Shorty69664

We got a Charnwood stove from Alan Gordon in Kilkerrin, Galway for less than the price I was quoted in the North.
    I also priced the same stove in England and although it was cheaper there, by the time I added on shipping costs it was the same price as Alan Gordon.
    By the way I have no connection with this company.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

anyone have a supplier up north that they'd recommend?
    Looking for a double sided stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

Only after buying my Stanley Erin did I find these guys who were selling it for 200 yoyos cheaper :-/

http://www.gings.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Quick question,do the soild fuel stoves with a boiler give good heat into a room aswell as supplying heat to the rads?

Or are they a waste of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

paddy147 wrote: »
    Quick question,do the soild fuel stoves with a boiler give good heat into a room aswell as supplying heat to the rads?

Dont wear a jumper when you're in the same room as one of these animals ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

Yep they do give good heat.
    Mine is advertised as capable of heating up to 9 rads and definitely would do so if I ran it on coal. I burn timber in mine however so the heat output is not as great. It will however give good heat into the room it is installed in :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

Thanks jayo99 will check them out. If anyone knows anywhere up North i'd be interested to know.
    Cheers!

paddy147 wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055782664

Hi Paddy,

that thread linked above has some good debating on the back boiler issue. Might be of use to you.

Cheers,
    Mr_Edge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Difficult 1 to call.

A few people say a stove/boiler setup is great for heating room and rads/water.

But some say that the boiler takes alot of coal/logs/heat and to work propperly and also takes alot of heat away from the room and takes along time to get the rads warm or even remotely hot.And that its not worth it,according to some plumbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 lor2ie

I always had solid fuel stoves from a Dietrich for over15 years ( until the back boiler bust) to a Stanley Erin now for the last 7 years. Brill for heating the whole house, water and 9 rads. I usually leave it ticking over end of Nov till end of March (depending on weather) so there is a constance heat and no need to waste fuel building up the temperature. Have recently installed solar heating couple of months ago and the difference it has made on my heating is surprising. Now since the water never goes below 20 degree ( went up to 47 degrees today 10th Nov, works great on cold sunny days) the rads come on a lot faster and stay warmer longer therefore using a lot less fuel. nice one :). Even a non-boiler stove is better than an open fire, great for all day heat at little cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Clairec981

mossfort wrote: »
    i dont know if there is much of a saving going north if its only for 1 stove when you consider fuel, time etc.
    from what i was told the stanley stoves are not great value for money.
    you can pick up a good 8kw stove for about 500 euros down here.
    i got a 6.5 kw stove off eblag for 290 euros delivered to my door and it works just as good as any of the more expensive ones .
    Can't get the eblag site what was the name of the stove? I'm intruiged:)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭oinkely

I installed a charnwood slx 45 boiler insert model about 4 years ago now. it's in a 3 bed semi-d and is the business. Admittedly it is in a small sitting room (maybe 10*10 feet) but easily heats that room up to about 24 degrees (thats when we open the door to avoid sitting there in our boxers!) while keeping the rest of the radiators in the house warm to hot, depending on how much we feed the fire. It's a multi fuel one so throw in pretty much wahtever is available, timber, coal, trees, workshop off cuts and have found that it gives a really nice level of heat to the house. The oil comes on for an hour before we get home from work and then i light the fire as soon as we get home and we have a nice toasty house till the next evening. If it gets really cold we time the heat to come on in the morning for an hour but so far haven't needed to do that this year.

The oil heating makes the radiators a lot hotter than the fire but the constant heat from the fire is actually much more pleasant. That could be just down to how we use the oil though (blast it for an hour then turn it off till the place cools down too much then blast it again).

We got our one in a place between belfast and dundalk (mourne fireplaces maybe?) and it was way cheaper than the one place in the south that had it in stock. It was on special offer though, with about 25% off which saved us about €800 over southern prices at the time.

In all we are delighted with it adn would recommend it to anyone, especially if you have asupply of fuel for it.

Advertisement