Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hear points reduction

Options
  • 15-01-2010 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

can anyone tell me how much the h.e.a.r program drops points roughly thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

10-20% of the points for your course

Like if your course was 450 points you'd get between 45-90 points off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

On the CAO website under it, my friend clicked that i wanted to apply for it, and I don't, I was just wondering if there was anyway to go back cause I can't find a way to undo it, or will I just leave it blank and they'll just disregard it?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

thanks phasers but how would you know how much you get off i mean if is it down to results as in if you got 320 but course was 400 u'd get it again or do they just select a figure?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭paddypender

Sorry for the stupid question but what is the h.e.a.r program and what does it involve?
    Thanks,
    Paddy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sorry for the stupid question but what is the h.e.a.r program and what does it involve?
    Thanks,
    Paddy

http://www.accesscollege.ie/hear/index.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

The hear Programme is the Higher Education Access Route.
    It's for people who have certain dis-adv in their live's such a living in a bad area, or lack of money or a disability.

In Terms of how many points and how is works this is how it works afaik.

So every course has a percentage number of places for HEAR candidates

So for example if there are 40 places in a course that is 500 points, there could be about 4-5 places specificly for HEAR candidates.

If there are 10 HEAR candidates applying for that course then the top 4-5 will get the places.

Therefore the amount of points required is soley dependant on the other HEAR candidates,

.ie, if the 1st person gets 490 and the 5th person gets 460 then the cut off point will be 460 points, making the reduction in points 40.

It's all circumstantial

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lee.m.1229

get 80% of the points and its all good in the hood ;)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

pecker1992 wrote: »
    can anyone tell me how much the h.e.a.r program drops points roughly thanks

It depends on the college you intend on going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

it only applies if your planning on going to one of the universities - doesnt effect ITs.
    Study as normal though, dont just aim for the 80% because you dont hear until nearly june if youv been accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I can't fill out the form:mad: I click and click and nothing happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

On the CAO website under it, my friend clicked that i wanted to apply for it, and I don't, I was just wondering if there was anyway to go back cause I can't find a way to undo it, or will I just leave it blank and they'll just disregard it?

Anyone sure what I do here?
    I'll ask my guidance feen tomorrow, see if she knows.

it only applies if your planning on going to one of the universities - doesnt effect ITs.
    Study as normal though, dont just aim for the 80% because you dont hear until nearly june if youv been accepted

Yes it does effect some IT's, check on www.accesscollege.ie, where bouts it applies to.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

ok thats all great thanks so much just one more question though my dad got a redundancy payment in october that wont be included on his income will it???

ok thats all great thanks so much just one more question though my dad got a redundancy payment in october that wont be included on his income will it???

Can't imagine so because I think it's income per year the way its judged.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

It will, and if you lie about it they'll find out as they do background searches and disregard your application totally. Just apply for it and see how it goes.

Advertisement