Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician or plumber?

• 15-01-2010 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi I have ofch and my water is extremely hot. A plumber said that the dial was wired back to front and he fixed it but now it is extremely hot no matter which way i turn the dial. I am worried that the seals in the shower pump will disintegrate with the heat for the second time as I had to get a new one after 2.5 years in the house. Should i get a plumber or an electrician to fix this does anyone know?

Also is it worth getting rid of the shower pump altogether if it does get ruined again. it was 600 to replace. My dad has a shower in his house and the pressure is grand without the pump. The water tank is directly over my ensuite shower. Though the shower in the main bathroom would be further away.

Any thoughts please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Hard to tell, I'd sooner go for an electrician than plumber, electricians are the ones qualified to work with electrics, plumbers do have experience but the experience is limited.

Have a new stat fitted, they are not expensive and your right excessive heat will damage pump, if you still have pump manual, check out max temp tolerance, if you think water is hotter than max tolerance, best have job done asap.

Plastic body shower pumps give trouble all the time, if you have plastic pump instead of taking it out if you can replace pump with brass or stainless body pumps, they can take more heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

items wrote: »
    if you have plastic pump instead of taking it out if you can replace pump with brass or stainless body pumps, they can take more heat.

Thanks a mill. Think I'll get an electrician so. Didn't know brass pumps even existed. Presume they are extremely costly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

kavanagh_h wrote: »
    Thanks a mill. Think I'll get an electrician so. Didn't know brass pumps even existed. Presume they are extremely costly!

You have a storage tank, you wont need the expensive negative head pump, just a reg one, Stuart Turner (brass) 1.5 bar booster pump (500 to 600 euro could be even less) Grundfos booster pump (stainless) slightly cheaper than ST, could be around 400 to 500 euro. I might be well of with prices, haven't bought any for over two years. Now you know the names, could do a quick search. Its worth holding onto pump, gravity showers are not really that good compared to a boosted pump shower.

Another option is to fit a dedicated shower booster pump fitted in shower, looks like an electric shower but doesn't heat water, you already have hot, one of these type showers might only cost you 100 to 200 euro + fitting and wiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ab20

Hi, not sure about your problem but if you need a good electrician I can recommend somebody who is excellent. I will pm you their details.

Advertisement