Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Threats!

Options
  • 15-01-2010 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I cancelled my UPC in October by letter. I received no response, but I did receive a further bill. In November I again cancelled by registered letter. They then responded sending me a new bill for €60, withdrawing a €90 bill. I was out of contract, I cancelled because I could not activate my new card despite ringing and never getting an answer on Customer Care. They are now threatening Legal proceedings, I received a letter today 15/1/10 stating if they did not receive payment within 5 days, proceedings would start. Their letter was dated 5/1/2010!

How likely are they to follow through, and would I stand a chance of a successful court outcome by defending it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved from Broadband to Consumer Issues.

I take it this is a television service you're talking about? Anyway, did you give 30 days notice on your cancellation letter, and pay for that 30 days? If so, you've done everything right. You should try ringing them to see what the issue is.

It won't go to court either, those types of letters are standard for any service provider, trying to scare people into paying. If you've done nothing wrong, then hold tight and don't give in. If you didn't give the proper notice though, then you will have something to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 skygazer

My bill was €20 a month. Paid every 2 months. I cancelled early October by letter. I received no reply until I sent them a registered letter mid November. They acknowledged the original letter of 6 weeks previous then. They then sent me a final bill for €60. Canceling two other bills of €40. I reckon they are changing the goalposts and trying their hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

They're idiots. They lost my account when I moved house (after telling me it had been transferred), told me I'd never had an account with them (despite me giving them my current and previous address and phone numbers), then a couple of months after I switched to Sky, started sending threatening letters (addressed to "the housholder") looking for a digital set-top box which I'd never had. Sent a snotty letter to the head of customer services, got an apology, and they eventually stopped.

Advertisement