Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else getting annoying timeouts like this with eircom?

• 15-01-2010 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

35d5nhw.jpg

Anyone else getting this or just me? It isnt always like this. Comes and goes. I'm in the Limerick area btw.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Gerry.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭recycler1

35d5nhw.jpg

Anyone else getting this or just me? It isnt always like this. Comes and goes. I'm in the Limerick area btw.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Gerry.

Yeah, very same, just now.
    No idea why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Yip, Im experiencing the very same problem, and have been for quiet some time.

I'm not sure but I think there was a discussion on here about b-ras2.lmk.limerick.eircom.net before??...

Will have a look around.

Just did a quick check Im getting about 16% packet loss over a 60sec period to b-ras2.lmk.limerick.eircom.net

Im wondering is this a radio link, as the exchange I am on is about 15 miles from Limerick City, and seems to have antenna attached.

Im gonna try and bring it up with Eircom tech support next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

Similar problem here both yesterday and today. I'm with Magnet though so could be a seperate issue.

Gerry Id say your on the same b-ras as me, perhaps theres only one in limerick Im not sure...but if you do a traceroute to google, and see if its the same....and then do a ping -t to it, thats where the packet loss may be.

b-ras2.lmk.limerick.eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 34 GerryTheLeper

Yeah I did that and yeah its the same one and that where all my packet loss is aswell. I'd imagine there's only one in Limerick. I wouldn't care normally cause all isp's have problems from time to time but this has been coming and going for months.

Let us know what Eircom tech support say when you get onto them.

• Advertisement

Will do, will give them a shout monday morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

My tracert doesn't go through that IP but am still having the same problems. Lots and lots of dropped connections :mad:

I see someone on BT complaining about similar problems :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 tadru

ME TOO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Yes this would seem to be an ongoing problem in the Limerick area.

Ummm me and a few others tried to deal with it since last year but to no avail...

As a recap here's the previous thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055560532

Simply put the Limerick BRAS(s?) are leaking an awful amount of packets and this can be proved with the network tool MTR.

It wouldn't be noticably for activities like web browsing etc (which are very robust by nature to bad networks) but if your going to be trying things which require real time response like gaming, remote-admin etc... your going notice the dropped packets fast.

Aye, it looks like its not going to be solved, I haven't had a chance to ring them yet but I'm not holding my breath.
    Getting really sick of this country... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MFZ

+1

It started after returning from christmas holidays.

Audiostreams stall (anything between 18 mins and >3h), downloads that take longer than approx. 5 mins stall, too and do not resume :-(

DSL and ATM statistics shown on the router are fine so I presume it is not the line to the exchange.

Just wondering if anyone got onto eircom technical support about this cause I cant even use things like remote desktop, skype and general video streaming properly now due to it.

Hi Gerry, I got onto them about my connection having high pings, and found that the interleaving had been set to high on my connection, now this shouldnt cause packet loss, regardless I had it reset to low, and my ping times have improved. You could try asking for them to do that, also may be worth posting your DSL statistics from the modem in case its a noise issue.

Also stick up a tracert to google.com and we can see where along the line the problem seems to occurr..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

The post I previously linked to shows that another user Tim.Bunce managed to miraculously get in contact with someone at Eircom who acknowledged there was a problem at the exchange which was causing the issue reported in this thread. There were plans to fix said problem late last year... though fast forward to today and well you can probably guess that nothing came of it.

Out of interest, Xennon is the lower interleaving solving the packet loss on your side (even though it logically shouldn't;))? Btw wouldn't they have lowered your speed as a consequence as in theory the reasoning they introduced high interleaving alongside the higher speed products is because certain connections would be unstable without it?

Handy tools for determing if your suffering from this problem are:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTR_(Software) for Unix / Linux users (I use this)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PathPing for Windows users (In theory, I haven't used this)

Hi Champ,

I did think that the interleaving had something to do with it as when I checked the connection again as it was fine, HOWEVER that was in the morning about a week ago. Tonight I checked a few things again and you are right the interleaving hasn't remedied the problem.

This is what Im experiencing tonight (Fri).
    As you can see Im getting packet loss to the B-ras, which may be the radio link from the exchange into town. Then again from the ammount of people having problems with that B-ras, I think it may be due a slap of a hammer.

Interleaving can be set to low on my connection as I'm on the 7Mb connection as apposed to the 7.6Mb (that extra 0.6Mb makes a difference seemingly), and I can see the exchange from my sitting room.

Might try ringing them again next week, but I am kinda up the walls for the week.

Just to upate, ran MTR again to google.ie this morning, and as you can see the packet loss is drastically reduced. Now, this to me signifies that the Eircom infrastructure is creaking under the load. And with the introduction of ADSL2+ on the last mile I fear it will only get worse. Anyone have an insight to this?

It definately seems to happen usually for me between 18:00 and 00:00. Id assume these are the times of peak load so that the "creaking under the load" theory is probably correct.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

anyone got an update on this guys? i have the exact same problem as the pic shows in the top post, have been on to eircom every 5 days for the last 3 months trying to get it resolved.

the funny thing is i'm out in the killaloe area, where we have a local exchange and my brother who is on the same exchange has no issues whatsoever..

should i just give up and accept there is nothing they will do for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

jesus guys...read the other thread on this...
    I've already posted what the problem is but here it is in a nutshell..

All the exchanges that were upgraded for 24meg are all being hammered by network congestion from 5pm-12am every day thus resulting in crap speeds and packet loss (what you're seeing).
    Eircom has to upgrade all the exchanges to copy with the increased bandwidth and apparently it's going to take them at least 13 weeks at the very least.
    I'm in the same boat..all I do is log a complaint each night to them just to keep reminding them I'm here.

while i appreciate the reply, that doesn't explain how people on the same exchange aren't seeing the same issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Are you both online at the exact same time?
    Are ye both on the same packages?

yup. in fact i was with irishbroadband, had the issue, move to eircom as IBB couldn't fix the problem, and went for his package cause he seemed problem free. he's online nightly from 7 till 11, same times i have trouble

i'll do a traceroute on his computer tonight and see if he is going through the affected server.

Advertisement