Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game Master SNES adaptor

• 15-01-2010 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi

Bought one of these from ebay and have not been able to get it to work

I read on the internet that you put your ntsc cart in the front slot then a pal game behind.........

Anyway it does not even register on the screen. It just stays blue but if i put a pal game in without the adaptor it works straight away!

Am i doing something wrong??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,389 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If it's just staying blue it sounds like something is dirty. Either the slot for the NTSC game or the NTSC game itself. Give it a good clean with some rubbing alcohol.

What game is it by the way? Some NTSC snes games won't work in a PAL snes, even with an adapter like this. I have two of them (different brands) and I still can't get Final Fight Guy to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Warren3

I have tried Contra 3 and Chrono trigger with the same problem but I will try some cleaning.

Master of the Universe

I've played through Chrono Trigger NTSC with that exact adapter, so if there's no hardware problem then it'll work alright :)

Not sure about Contra 3 though.

Cleaned it and now works a treat

thanks for the advice and Contra 3 does work!!

Master of the Universe

Warren3 wrote: »
    Cleaned it and now works a treat

thanks for the advice and Contra 3 does work!!

Yay! Glad I could help. Enjoy!

Make sure you change the battery in Chrono Trigger before you play through (If you haven't already). I still haven't recovered from losing my save a few months ago when I was half way through Super Metroid.

• Advertisement

I do not really know much about this

Where do you get the batteries from??. Do you just un screw the cartridge??

Master of the Universe

It's very easy to do.

Here's the type of battery they take - (CR2032)

http://racketboy.com/store/super-nintendo-snes/cr2030-battery.html

You can get multi packs of them on ebay for next to nothing.

Open the cart, you'll next a snes cart security bit. Also easy to get online.

The correct thing to do is to desolder the old battery. I dont do this. Instead I just get something sharp and slowly prise the old battery off. If you take your time and are careful this is a perfectly fine way of doing it.

You're also meant to solder in the new battery. I don't do this either. I just tape it in securely to make future replacement easy.

I replaced Zelda Link to the Past cart just by taping the new battery in about 5 years ago and it still holds the save fine.

Before you close it all up again, test out the battery first by saving and then switching off the console/removing the cart for a few minutes.

If the save is still there when you put it back on, close the cart up and forget about it for another 5-10 years. :)

/Edit - Here's a guide online that pretty much says the same thing. They also say taping the battery in is fine...phew!

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/11/how-to-change-snes-game-save-battery.html

Bought a few batteries from ebay for 99p last night so will give it a go when i get them

I also bought Phantasy Star on the master system and this has a battery back up too!. I must look into that as well

Is the battery constantly running or is it only used when there is saved game data on the cartridge??

Master of the Universe

That's an interesting question actually. I thought it would always be going. But then that's because as soon as I'd buy the game there'd be a save on it which I wouldn't delete.

Not sure now. Never actually seen anyone mention that online. I would say always running..kind of like a watch. Does a watch battery keep draining if you disconnect the turning mechanism for the arms but leave everything else running? I think it would.

I don't know about Sega Master System carts, but would imagine they're the same as Megadrive ones.

Megadrive ones are a bit of an issue as you have to buy similar batteries but they have legs. Because there are legs you'll have to desolder the old one from the PCB and resolder the new one. If you can solder, great! If you can't you'll might need to learn before you can chagne that Phantasy Star. (Well, that's assuming it's the same as the Megadrive. Which I think it more than likely is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lowplayer

hi, i have games master too (for PAL SNES),do you know if Final Fantasy 5 v JAP works with the Games master?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

These things are very hit and miss. It can be hard to know if a game will work. The only way to find out is to try and see what happens.

Do you speak any Japanese? As the Japanese FF V will be no use to you if you dont!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lowplayer

ok i succeed in making it works, just put a recent game(like super mario world) in the A slot and your jap game (ff5) in the B Slot.
    And yes, boku wa nihongo hanashimasu demo hontoni musukashi desu, btw forgive my bad english, i'm french native.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

lowplayer wrote: »
    ok i succeed in making it works, just put a recent game(like super mario world) in the A slot and your jap game (ff5) in the B Slot.
    And yes, boku wa nihongo hanashimasu demo hontoni musukashi desu, btw forgive my bad english, i'm french native.:o

You've better english than most of the regulars here, don't worry about that :D

Advertisement