Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you 'really' look like - reflection vs photo

• 15-01-2010 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

Ok - this is quite possibly the most stupid question in the world ever, but you know your 'real' appearance - is this the one that you see in the mirror, or the one you see in photos? I'm talking angles wise. Which is your 'real' appearance, or how you appear to others - the mirror or a photo?

And sorry if this is in the wrong place - it's the weirdest question and I just couldn't think of anywhere in particular to post it and as I hang around here a bit I thought i'd ask you ladies in case you've ever wondered.. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Trashed

I suppose.... its hard thing to explain.
    People never really see the real me. I suppose my most 'public' look is what people see in photographs. When I look in the mirror........ Its me raw. and thats not something I can share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Oh, I'm pretty sure there is some kind of physics answer to this and that the image we see in the mirror is not what we look like in reality. Or something.

It confused me so much I just moved on. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

The photo.

Unfortunately for me.

The correct way to see your correct reflection is to look at it in a mirror reflected in a mirror. Like the ones in M&S changing rooms.

In a mirror, your reflection is reversed, so when that is viewed in another mirror, its flipped again, and this is what people see when they look at you.

Silverfish wrote: »
    The photo.

Unfortunately for me.

The correct way to see your correct reflection is to look at it in a mirror reflected in a mirror. Like the ones in M&S changing rooms.

In a mirror, your reflection is reversed, so when that is viewed in another mirror, its flipped again, and this is what people see when they look at you.

Oh, that's probably what they were saying...

Man, I sound dumb now. :o (It sounded more complicated though from what I can recall..)

I'd say Video gives the best idea.
    Some people do honestly take ridculiously bad photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I dont think anyone can answer this. Photos all look different and so do mirrors. Observers all have different eyes so we will appear differently depending on who is looking at us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Everything in a mirror is reversed. Hence, in real life, I'm a tall, fat, ugly, black woman. It's a lot to get my head around. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Gah thank god i'm not the only one who this confuses! I have a birthmark on my cheek and (i know this sounds so stupid i'm laughing to myself now) but i can't tell what side it's on if that makes any sense at all. I keep wondering - but what do others see??!! Oh my head hurts from it.

Thanks Silverfish i think i'm slightly understanding it now. It's so weird - we never really see ourselves..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I often wondered this because I'm not a great looking lass but every now and again i get the hair/makeup/outfit just right and i look in a mirror and think i look good :P but then i see the photos the morning after and im like jeeezus i didnt look like that when i looked in the mirror!!

Cameras just dont like me lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

I prefer what I see in the mirror to photos most of the time so I hope people see my mirror image. Interesting question...hmmm :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Isn't it an odd one? And it's also relevant if you're pondering how to part your hair. Left or right? Or right or left? Which is which! :confused:

I'm not actually this obsessed with my appearance I promise, but this is confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Some people do honestly take ridculiously bad photos.

Ya that'd be me. I usually blink and therefor look semi stoned :o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I was thinking about this just a few weeks ago. When I look in the mirror I think I look ok, then I see a photograph and its horrible.

I'm definitely not photogenic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I can confirm I'm the same.

However, when I did see my reflection in a mirror flipped in another mirror, well there's the face I see in photos.

I'm pretty sure half of M&S were wondering why there was shrieks coming from the changing room.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I can confirm I'm the same.

However, when I did see my reflection in a mirror flipped in another mirror, well there's the face I see in photos.

I'm pretty sure half of M&S were wondering why there was shrieks coming from the changing room.

Lol same here, my parents got my confirmation photos for free as they were so hideous. To this day I cannot look at those photos without shuddering.

I've about three nice photos of me and I'm 36, I mind them jealously :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Kimia wrote: »
    It's so weird - we never really see ourselves..

It's definitely quite strange. A few years ago I was visiting my family and we were playing with my brother's Wii. I was setting up my Mii (to those who don't know; a cartoon version of you who plays certain games) and I chose a hairstyle parted on the right with a fringe coming over the left eye. My mum had to tell me that I had it backwards.:o Then after I flipped it I still found it looked so weird.

I know my mirror image is the reverse of me, but that doesn't stop my mental picture of myself being my reflection rather than my actual image. A few months afterward I actually took a bunch of pictures of myself with my hair as it is and then I washed my hair and blow-dried it with my hair parted to the opposite side and took some more photos so I could get to grips with my actual image. (And thankfully I look better with my hair parted it's usual way as I wouldn't fancy swapping it around.:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Funnily enough I actually think I'm not an ugly bastard most times I see my reflection. When I see a photo though it's another story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Im very unphotogenic (is that a word?) I dont think I'm too bad looking in real life but in photos,ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I can look quite nice in photos, but I am one of those photo control freaks though :o It's all about the posture & lighting, dahlings :)

But I never ever like what I see looking back at me when I am in a ladies dressing cubicle with multiple mirrors ...... noooooooo!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Take a photo of a reflection of your reflection if you wanna really screw with yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

what image would you get if you looked in a mirror and then got some one to stand at your shoulder and take a photo of your reflection in the mirror would it be the real you or a photo of you ...or even a photo of the image of the real you .....

mariaalice wrote: »
    what image would you get if you looked in a mirror and then got some one to stand at your shoulder and take a photo of your reflection in the mirror would it be the real you or a photo of you ...or even a photo of the image of the real you .....

You'd get a photo of your reflection and it would look like what you see in the mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I just read through this and have never been more confused in my life :eek:
    I taught at first it was about reflections and if they were different in photos than if your looking in a mirror?
    I don't see how you look any different just its a flipped you in a mirror which is so strange! :eek:
    But then some of ye were saying about how ye feel attractive looking in a mirror but when ye see yourselves in pictures from that night you wonder what happened?
    The confusion!!

This thread is making my head hurt :(

M&S* wrote: »
    I just read through this and have never been more confused in my life :eek:
    I taught at first it was about reflections and if they were different in photos than if your looking in a mirror?
    I don't see how you look any different just its a flipped you in a mirror which is so strange! :eek:
    But then some of ye were saying about how ye feel attractive looking in a mirror but when ye see yourselves in pictures from that night you wonder what happened?
    The confusion!!
    This thread is making my head hurt :(

:D Makes my confusion not feel so silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Aha I've just been looking in the mirror thinking have I been looking at myself backwards all my life and should I use a camera instead of a mirror ? :confused::confused:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Sorry, old thread, but just to weigh in:

One of the reasons you look different in photos compared to reflections is due to lighting. Normally when you see yourself in the mirror your face is lit by an overhead light. With a flash from a camera, the light is usually coming from right in front of you, which casts different shadows, making your face appear slightly different. Additionally, light from a flash is not the same colour or intensity as either sunlight or room-lighting and might reveal blotches and imperfections that would be less visible under other circumstances.

So the answer is... both photos and reflections are accurate representations of your face, but the lighting in photos is less natural, less familiar and usually less flattering.

If you try taking a photo without flash, the end result will be closer to what you see in the mirror and what other people see when they look at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Isn't your reflection you "backwards"?

I look quite different in pictures to how I look in the mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Pfft. You lot have obviously never tried to have an out of body experience. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

You think you look normal in a mirror & pretty.. Then you see someone you know in a mirror and they look all crooked and weird. So obviously YOU look all crooked and weird in the mirror to them. But to you, that's how you always look. Obviously then when you see yourself in a photo, you look crooked and weird to yourself as you are used to seeing your reflection face... No wonder we hate our appearance in photos. Maybe flip your photos to mirror reflect on your computer and you'll see how you think you look...

Do webcam pictures make you look mirror image or normal?? Never mind I just checked, it's mirror image. It would be mad seeing yourself onscreen moving oppositely.. Oh it's too early for this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Plus on top of being backwards and familiar a mirror is a moving image and a photo is a still image(duh:D) which makes a diff. I look much more like me on video even though its not reversed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I think part of the reason I can look very weird in pics is that I have a very narrow face with high cheek bones. In bad light a picture will show up all these shadows and contours on my face. I find that people with round faces take much better and consistant pictures. Just a theory I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

I'm really not that ugly ,my camera just takes ugly photo's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Ah just noticed this thread after posting something similar in another one. I too think on a good mood day I look ok in the mirror but when I see a photo its like OMG I look hideous, lumpy and double chinned:(. But if you think of it a photo is only capturing what you look like for a split second and you dont (hopefully) have that gormless expression or look like that permanently. Thats how I console myself anyhoo. That and there are zero photos of me on display in our house....

I have a friend who is a nightmare with photos. If you take a photo of her she looks at it on the camera screen and if she doesn't like it, deletes it and makes you take it again. This can go on and on and on.:(

If I see her anywhere near a camera I head off in the other direction. The worst is that while she eventually has a photo of herself that she likes everyone else in the picture has a grimace of a smile and frustration in their eyes because they are getting annoyed with having to be in photo after photo. Then the next day she puts all her good pics up on facebook with her looking great and everybody else looking really awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

i avoid mirrors and camera's at all cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

I hate my photo being taken rarely ever like a photo of myself, I stay on the other side of the camera on nights out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

iguana wrote: »
    . Then the next day she puts all her good pics up on facebook with her looking great and everybody else looking really awful.

Thats funny ,but I think a lot of women are like that ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

iguana wrote: »
    Then the next day she puts all her good pics up on facebook with her looking great and everybody else looking really awful.

Ugh have a friend that does that and I know she does it to be malicious too :mad: That's why I never do that whole facebook tagging thing without people's permission, there's no point really. I hate the thought of having my photos plastered over the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭ColaBeDamned

I know someone who'll occasionally 'adjust' her photo in photoshop before putting it on facebook! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Ouch my brain...

They've actually made a true mirror that shows you your real reflection. Creepy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Dinxminx wrote: »
    Ouch my brain...

They've actually made a true mirror that shows you your real reflection. Creepy..
    It's just one mirror at a 90 degree angle to another mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Littleblondehen

I think I have body dysmorphia.....but in the opposite direction!

Instead of looking in the mirror and seeing this big fat person, I look in the mirror and see this Okayish looking not slim but not fat person, then I look at photos and think WTF?? :eek:

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Do webcam pictures make you look mirror image or normal?? Never mind I just checked, it's mirror image. It would be mad seeing yourself onscreen moving oppositely.. Oh it's too early for this.
    It shouldn't be unless you used software settings to change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Funny you should mention webcams. I don't mind how I look in them at all, seems to fit my self-image better than a photo.
    Guess it's to do with the lighting after all, like another poster said. The flash in the camera fúcks you up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

The photo.

Unfortunately for me.

I always wondered about this!!!

On a night out I think I look grand and then photos make me look shocking :eek:

While I look at my other friends in the photos and they look the same to me. But maybe I look the same to my friends :/

Feicin cameras >.<