Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda Kenny on the Late Late (15/01/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Tell you what: we'll agree to differ. I'll vote for the candidates I feel have the closest thing to an ability to run the country, and the parties that have the policies I feel are most appropriate; and you can vote for TV personality of the year.

a nice ideal; however, unfortunately, here in Ireland you normally have to vote for some completely usless gombeen who is in the same party as the people with the ability to run the country!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Riskymove wrote: »
    a nice ideal; however, unfortunately, here in Ireland you normally have to vote for some completely usless gombeen who is in the same party as the people with the ability to run the country!
    True dat. A compelling argument for a list system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

this is one area where pat kenny would have done better.

interview was too ' quick fire/catch him out type' for me.
    thought he (enda |Kinny) did ok but wtf about not talking to sf.?? ryan did make a valid knock out point here about what the brethren are doin up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

perhaps...or a more reformed system with directly elected executive?

..and reformed local government....I'd rather vote for local gombeen in local elections than for national policy

Riskymove wrote: »
    perhaps...or a more reformed system with directly elected executive?
    That's a very big step. Changes to the electoral system are less radical, and more achievable. I would like to see better separation of powers between executive and legislature, though.
    ..and reformed local government....I'd rather vote for local gombeen in local elections than for national policy
    Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I don't think thats true.

If people keep believing thats true and voting like that then that is what will happen and no decent alternative will even contemplate running.

At the moment I think people that could run the country won't run because they want to be branded as "politicians" which is basically a dirty word in this country. People don't trust politicians, don't like politicians and so don't want to be politicians which is part of the reason why we have such a messed up system ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

ninty9er wrote: »
    Lazines isn't the issue, lack of willingness to discipline is. Class sizes aren't an issue. Yes I still believe that.

On NAMA, you and I both know, that there isn't a single human that will be able to determine whether it was a good idea until it has been wound down.

For discipline would you agree to bringing back corporal punishment ?

Well McNamara and Caroll have illustrated just how screwed the developers are and the huge drop in vlaue in the Irish Glass Bottle plant site has illustrated just how much the securing assets have dropped below the vlaue of the loans originally given.
    Now of coruse they are still paying a discounted amount for the loans but guess what 400 million discounted by 30% does not equal 60 odd million.
    Thus there is big amount that joe and mary soap taxpayer will be left stuck coughing up.

Thus you don't need to be rocket scientist or even economist to figure out the taxpayer ios going to be left holding some very worthless sh** development sites.
    ninty9er wrote: »
    Didn't Kenny do just that?

Everyone else here has been harping on about leadership, but now because Kenny can't do that what we want all of a sudden is an invisible "chairman". I'm chair of a number of things, but the role is invisible in terms of outward information. It's a purely internal role. It would be like Barack Obama saying nothing and sending out some GIS equivalent to say everything.

Hang on a minute how has Kenny proven he can't lead.
    He has probably proven again he can't do interviews well, especially when targetted by an interviewer whose objectivity would not be out of place on Fox News.

If you want to talk about leadership, Kenny has turned around the party form the disaster left by Noonan. He did this even though he was against the most popular taoiseach for years, the guy nearly half the electorate thought had single handily built the great celtic tiger economy and the cheap credit economy that followed.

He managed to attract young and vibrant candidates into the party.
    He managed to attract in the likes of Mairead McGuinness and George Lee.
    On the other side who has clowen attracted, oh yes the son of a former minister, the son who worked for one of the builders bank i.e. Anglo.

Kenny has promoted people who actually know their briefs.
    Bruton in Finance, O'Reilly (who actually negotiated over 70s medical card deal for doctors) in Health to name two of the most prominent.
    Lee will probably end up in the likes of Enterprise.
    There are the likes of Shatter in family law matters, Hayes, Varadker all in front line briefs.
    Each of them are a cut above what sits on the front bench of ff.

On the other hand clowen has promoted Coughlan, who appears to be on some Linguaphone learn a word a week course, into Enterprise where she has presided over, well nothing.
    She is tanaiste and thus our next in line if clowen is out of action.
    FFS how bad is that.

He still has harney the most inept health minister who refuses to take any responsiblity for any of the Health cockups.
    We have had a minister for transport Dempsey, who dreams up new laws and regulations to be enacted overnight (L plate drivers being most famous) and then he has to roll them back because they are unworkable.
    He has a man who it appears has perjured himself in a court affadavit as minister of defense.
    The minister of justice apears to be more interested in blaphemy laws (that the likes of Pakistan want to implement) than gangland crime.

And you claim Kenny has failed in leadership. :rolleyes:

There is more to leadership than soundbites on tv and if your party leaders had actually grasped that we might not be as f***ed as we are. :rolleyes:
    Bertie was a good leader for the party but not for the country since he gave into vested interest groups in order to preserve his power, that wasn't leadership, that was pandering.

Other things I spotted about the interview which says a lot about tubhead.

Apart from intimating that Kenny had as much chance of being leader as Mayo winning All Ireland and remark about how he had to go over to other side of house to get wife, the most snotty remark was made at end.

He asked Kenny if he still liked Springsteen and what was his favour album.
    Kenny said "working on a dream" to which tubhead remarked snidely "well aren't you just".
    That was just very ungracious and says a lot about tubhead.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I think a look through the Dáil is sufficient to make anyone sensible give their left arm for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

jmayo wrote: »

Well McNamara and Caroll have illustrated just how screwed the developers are and the huge drop in vlaue in the Irish Glass Bottle plant site has illustrated just how much the securing assets have dropped below the vlaue of the loans originally given.
    Now of coruse they are still paying a discounted amount for the loans but guess what 400 million discounted by 30% does not equal 60 odd million.
    Thus there is big amount that joe and mary soap taxpayer will be left stuck coughing up.

Thus you don't need to be rocket scientist or even economist to figure out the taxpayer ios going to be left holding some very worthless sh** development sites.

He has probably proven again he can't do interviews well, especially when targetted by an interviewer whose objectivity would not be out of place on Fox News.

If you want to talk about leadership, Kenny has turned around the party form the disaster left by Noonan. He did this even though he was against the most popular taoiseach for years, the guy nearly half the electorate thought had single handily built the great celtic tiger economy and the cheap credit economy that followed.

On the other side who has clowen attracted, oh yes the son of a former minister, the son who worked for one of the builders bank i.e. Anglo.

Bruton in Finance, O'Reilly (who actually negotiated over 70s medical card deal for doctors) in Health to name two of the most prominent.
    There are the likes of Shatter in family law matters, Hayes, Varadker all in front line briefs.

On the other hand clowen has promoted Coughlan, who appears to be on some Linguaphone learn a word a week course, into Enterprise where she has presided over, well nothing.
    FFS how bad is that.

He still has harney the most inept health minister who refuses to take any responsiblity for any of the Health cockups.
    We have had a minister for transport Dempsey, who dreams up new laws and regulations to be enacted overnight (L plate drivers being most famous) and then he has to roll them back because they are unworkable.
    He has a man who it appears has perjured himself in a court affadavit as minister of defense.
    The minister of justice apears to be more interested in blaphemy laws (that the likes of Pakistan want to implement) than gangland crime.

There is more to leadership than soundbites on tv and if your party leaders had actually grasped that we might not be as f***ed as we are. :rolleyes:
    Bertie was a good leader for the party but not for the country since he gave into vested interest groups in order to preserve his power, that wasn't leadership, that was pandering.

Apart from intimating that Kenny had as much chance of being leader as Mayo winning All Ireland and remark about how he had to go over to other side of house to get wife, the most snotty remark was made at end.

Kenny said "working on a dream" to which tubhead remarked snidely "well aren't you just".

When you compare the interview that stick insect gave Bertie to how Kenny was treated it was disgraceful and just shows Tubridy flying his FF colours.
    How on earth can Kenny expect to have an experienced front bench when FF has been in power for the last decade plus, and what has experience got to do when you consider where the presiding government have left us.

there is some great talent in the FG front bench with relevent experience, qualifications and education in the right areas, as above Reilly in health, Shatter in law etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

jmayo wrote: »

Not everything was bought at the top of the bubble you know. The glass bottle site was way overvalued, I don't disagree with that though.

Parachuting in celebrity candidates is a cheap political move, one FG are known for. John O'Mahony, Greaham Geherty, John O'Leary, Brody Sweeney were all FG candidates of questionable merit.

While I despise nepotism, the fact that Mr. Brennan worked for Anglo is neither here nor there. I mean do you hold all Bank of Ireland staff responsible for the mistakes of the executive?
    Its the senior civil servants who do most of the work anyway. Kenny has got talent available, although O'Reilly won't do any better in health that is for sure.

FFS how bad is that.
    Brian Lenihan Sr. was known as the clown prince of Irish politics, it wasn't until he retired that we found out he was one of the foremost thinkers in the cabinet/FF at that time. While I'm not saying Coughlan is of the same ability, she could well be. In any case I don't like her either.

By the way it reflects badly on you to refer to him as "clowen"

Unfair, its hardly her fault if someone misdiagnoses a scan. She is in charge of policy and seeing it implemented. People constantly BS about how our health system is that bad, they really need some perspective. Sure it isn't the best, but its far from the worst.

Exactly, and after watching the late late interview, it was all Kenny was able to come out with. No plan at all, or if he has hes keeping it to himself, to release via dicktat as he sees fit.

I didn't like the end of the interview either, it felt very contrived, but Kenny is in fact working on a dream, its long been his ambition to be Taioseach.

• Advertisement

Tell you what: we'll agree to differ. I'll vote for the candidates I feel have the closest thing to an ability to run the country, and the parties that have the policies I feel are most appropriate; and you can vote for TV personality of the year.

The ability to communicate is one of the foremost qualities of leadership.

The ability to communicate convincingly through a broadcast medium obsessed with soundbites is way, way down my list of priorities when choosing a leader.

I'm aware that I'm unusual in that regard.

The ability to communicate convincingly through a broadcast medium obsessed with soundbites is way, way down my list of priorities when choosing a leader.

I'm aware that I'm unusual in that regard.

How can one be expected to bring the nation along with you if you can't convince them of the merits of your ideas? Television is the most powerful medium to do this. We're not talking soundbites, this was an interview where he had the opportunity to demonstrate his ability. In fact all he was able to was to trot out the old cliches and platitudes.

You can have a brilliant mind and great ideas, while useful in a leader, they are not essential. A leader must A) be able to harness the abilities of his team. Something which Kenny hasn't really had the opportunity to do yet. and B) Present his teams abilities in a sound and coherent manner, to convince others of their merit.

There have been many examples of great ideas falling by the wayside because of poor leadership. FG could be next.

The thing is Kenny should be an asset for FG, but at the moment he is a liability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Im bemused by some people's stunning acceptance and support of almost 'Mayor Quimby' like media figures as the choice of national leader. At this point in time, I don't care that Kenny's smile is odd, that he's overtrying to show he's aware of the reading trends of teenagers, or that he walked himself into a corner on the FF Show on Friday night.

All I want is a leadership that doesn't do a nod and a wink every day, and doesn't leave me seething at the "Sure they'll never figure this one out, and if they do, sure what can they do 'bout it like!?" sound bites.

If that leader turns out to be ineffective but clearly attempting to run the ship in an honest way, I'll accept that over the current shower who are consistently taking you, me and the dog for fools.

Bertie's work of literature worthy of a tax break?
    A Donegal election bad for economic recovery!?!
    Unprecedented public funds to NAMA yet no open public investigation?

These people are treating us like absolute idiots!!, and we're knocking an alternative based on how he smiles, or how he dresses, or how he isn't VIP magazine material?

Every so often I think I've reached a level where I can't be horrified at this government, or people's forgiving attitude to the goverment, but every time I'm reminded that we can and do sink further.

The percentage of people in this country who will consistently vote FF regardless of the damage they do to our nation and to the integrity of governance is disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Maybe in your mind but you can't rewrite history . . Ahern returned FF to government three times in a row and was well regarded throughout the country. The fact that he influenced so many for so long proves that by your very definition the man has charisma. .

Ahern also clocked up a 24 Billion Euro Public defecit. His "social partnership", lie in bed with the Unions attitude has eroded any competitive edge on salaries and wages that Ireland ever had. He pissed away huge gluts of money on P Pars and E Voting machines. He moved away from the factors of productivity, and conspired with the banks to bring about Ireland's property bubble, which has wrecked the construction sector for years, and damned us to a 30 year future with the NAMA millstone hanging around our necks.

He complained that the rainbow Government didnt spend enough, and when McCreevy and Harney were sidlined for that idiot Cowen, the binge really took flight. Ahern has no ideology and has NO economic nous.

The fact that he can illicit a laugh and a smile for the publci doesnt make him a good Taoiseach. In fact, Kenny could NOT be blamed for what has transpired, Bertie can. If anybody is a fraud, it is Bertie. Of course that doesnt alleviate the blame on his lapdog Cowen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Het-Field wrote: »
    Ahern also clocked up a 24 Billion Euro Public defecit. His "social partnership", lie in bed with the Unions attitude has eroded any competitive edge on salaries and wages that Ireland ever had. He pissed away huge gluts of money on P Pars and E Voting machines. He moved away from the factors of productivity, and conspired with the banks to bring about Ireland's property bubble, which has wrecked the construction sector for years, and damned us to a 30 year future with the NAMA millstone hanging around our necks.

He complained that the rainbow Government didnt spend enough, and when McCreevy and Harney were sidlined for that idiot Cowen, the binge really took flight. Ahern has no ideology and has NO economic nous.

The fact that he can illicit a laugh and a smile for the publci doesnt make him a good Taoiseach. In fact, Kenny could NOT be blamed for what has transpired, Bertie can. If anybody is a fraud, it is Bertie. Of course that doesnt alleviate the blame on his lapdog Cowen

Nice rant !

Funny how every single thread ends up in the same place regardless of the topic !

Look, I accused Enda Kenny of having no charisma (this thread is about him, not Bertie Ahern) and somebody described Bertie Ahern as being a similarly fake and vacuous character. I simply pointed out that whether you love him or hate him, agree with his policies or believe that he is the devil incarnate that has brought Ireland to its knees, you CANNOT acurately accuse Bertie Ahern of having no charisma !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Nice rant !

Funny how every single thread ends up in the same place regardless of the topic !

Look, I accused Enda Kenny of having no charisma (this thread is about him, not Bertie Ahern) and somebody described Bertie Ahern as being a similarly fake and vacuous character. I simply pointed out that whether you love him or hate him, agree with his policies or believe that he is the devil incarnate that has brought Ireland to its knees, you CANNOT acurately accuse Bertie Ahern of having no charisma !

Nice show of pedantry !

Bertie is a fake and a fraud. Its a small victory to accept him a charismatic.

Nice show of pedantry !

Bertie is a fake and a fraud. Its a small victory to accept him a charismatic.

What has that got to do with Enda Kenny, the Late Late show or this thread?

What has that got to do with Enda Kenny, the Late Late show or this thread?

Quite !

Jesus wept, I accuse (quite rightly I think) Enda Kenny of showing no charisma during his LLS interview and all of a sudden (because others know I am a FF supporter) we end up in a debate about Bertie Ahern . . And then I'm accused of being pedantic. .!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

Yeah because she proved herself to be a great minister didn't she?:rolleyes:.She was minister for Enterprise ,Trade and Employment when the boom was at it's height in Bertie's 1st term, only a complete idiot could have bungled it then.

• Advertisement

Nice rant !

Yeah I can, he has no charisma or appeal to me what so ever.

He comes across as the devil you claim he is. I don't find an attractive trait. I wouldn't go for a pint with Bertie. If I saw him, I'd have to use every bit of strength in me to stop myself punching him.

And I thought all of the above long before a property crash happened or he stepped down. The guy has always come across like that to me :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hulioseducer

as per usual for fg folllowers it comes back to bertie ahern and the past. enda kenny is most likely to be come the next Taoiseach this tread was started to see what others thought of his preformance on the ll show so i'll bring us back on topic and say that while a change of government MAY be nessary this man is no more a leader than what we have currently, and should he be elected as our leader i know i would abandon all hope.

ps: i felt he was just as hard and maybe harder (drinking question) on cowen

thebman wrote: »
    Yeah I can, he has no charisma or appeal to me what so ever.

He comes across as the devil you claim he is. I don't find an attractive trait. I wouldn't go for a pint with Bertie. If I saw him, I'd have to use every bit of strength in me to stop myself punching him.

And I thought all of the above long before a property crash happened or he stepped down. The guy has always come across like that to me :-/

Great, and I don't personally like Tony Blair. I think he led the British nation into an unnecessary war that cost British lives. . It doesn't stop me recognising that he is one of the most charismatic politicians we have seen in the last 50 years. . .

Can we get back on topic. . . this thread is about Enda Kenny's LLS performance, not about Bertie Ahern.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Not everything was bought at the top of the bubble you know. The glass bottle site was way overvalued, I don't disagree with that though.

While I despise nepotism, the fact that Mr. Brennan worked for Anglo is neither here nor there. I mean do you hold all Bank of Ireland staff responsible for the mistakes of the executive?
    Its the senior civil servants who do most of the work anyway. Kenny has got talent available, although O'Reilly won't do any better in health that is for sure.

How do you know O'Reilly won't do any better ?
    At least he might have a better handle on it than the Fás permed harney, who refuses to accept any responsibilty for the mess that is the HSE.
    Brian Lenihan Sr. was known as the clown prince of Irish politics, it wasn't until he retired that we found out he was one of the foremost thinkers in the cabinet/FF at that time. While I'm not saying Coughlan is of the same ability, she could well be. In any case I don't like her either.

coughlan is an idiot and is only there do to her friendship for clowen ;)

OMG yeah coughlan a foremost thinker, maybe you mean tinker ?

By the way it reflects badly on you to refer to him as "clowen"
    Unfair, its hardly her fault if someone misdiagnoses a scan. She is in charge of policy and seeing it implemented. People constantly BS about how our health system is that bad, they really need some perspective. Sure it isn't the best, but its far from the worst.

Shure it's never a minister fault for anything. :rolleyes:
    What fu**** policy, hire huge amount of admin staff, cut down on front line staff, allow duplication of admin facilities, give bonuses to executives of non performing organisation, fail to give possible life saving vaccines to our kids.
    Do you want me to go on ?
    Perhaps after you have sat in f**** A&E for 12 hours with broken bnone you might not be such a sanctimonous ffer or perhaps when you see a parent die in hospital after they have gotten MRSA you might change your tune.

Yeah it is better than Afghanistan, Hati and Iraq I hear so what's the problem.
    I didn't like the end of the interview either, it felt very contrived, but Kenny is in fact working on a dream, its long been his ambition to be Taioseach.

So does that mean the interviewer should make snide remarks under his breath.
    It says more about tubheads lack of class than Kenny's ambitions.

Well clowen ( and I will use that for someone that has and will cost me and my family untold thousands through his ineptitude)
    I do not respect the man or his fellow party memebrs.
    I see them as traitors to the Irish Republic.

Kenny might not have charisma at least on TV, but at least he is honourable and honest.

Hitler had charisma as well you know.

I am not allowed discuss …

Great, and I don't personally like Tony Blair. I think he led the British nation into an unnecessary war that cost British lives. . It doesn't stop me recognising that he is one of the most charismatic politicians we have seen in the last 50 years. . .

Can we get back on topic. . . this thread is about Enda Kenny's LLS performance, not about Bertie Ahern.

Charisma is completely subjective. I'm sure there are people that actually like Kenny.

I'm not sure Bertie is charismatic. Papers say he is/was for some reason and RTE. Nobody I talk to my age ever liked him. My father did but that means one person I know thinks he is charismatic versus everyone else I know.

I think his charisma is a myth. Don't get me wrong Kenny is a blank of wood but charisma isn't what I'd base my vote on anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

This may the only time I ever agree with you. Bertie Ahern had buckets of charisma. Don't get me wrong, if i saw him i wouldn't have to stop myself from punching him as I don't see why he shouldn't be punched, kicked, strung up and lynched.

Point being is the OP has raised a very valid issue. Whether you agree or not, a lot of people do not want Kenny as Taoiseach as he is too dull.

And if dullness/charisma is how we (continue to?) elect our governments then hey, lets take comfort in the fact that while we can't have African weather, we can certainly have an African economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 larrytom

Enda Kenny is a complete gob****e plain and simple and anyone who supports him or trys to argue his case is a complete gob****e plain and simple
    end of story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

thebman wrote: »
    Charisma is completely subjective. I'm sure there are people that actually like Kenny.

I'm not sure Bertie is charismatic. Papers say he is/was for some reason and RTE. Nobody I talk to my age ever liked him. My father did but that means one person I know thinks he is charismatic versus everyone else I know.

I think his charisma is a myth. Don't get me wrong Kenny is a blank of wood but charisma isn't what I'd base my vote on anyway.

Charisma may not be important. However, most leaders, people who Captain teams, lead industry, have an air of authority, something that distinguishes them from the rest.

Bertie had it, I think Cowan had it too, maybe its on the wane now. Kenny does not, nor will ever have that. Thats a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

larrytom wrote: »
    Enda Kenny is a complete gob****e plain and simple and anyone who supports him or trys to argue his case is a complete gob****e plain and simple
    end of story

Larrytom is a complete simpleton plain and simple and anyone who supports him or trys tries to argue his case needs to f€ck right back to 1922. Larry, get yourself a Delorian, they really can be converted into time machines you know!

Tulip.

Edit: Did not realise MOD's were so quick off the mark and would ban larrytom for such comments. I therefor retract my above thread as the mod has replied better than i possible ever could have.

Regards

Rory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

larrytom wrote: »
    end of story

Banned for two weeks.

Advertisement