Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

system fans keep running after shut down

Options
  • 15-01-2010 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

hi there all just put together my new build and this is what is happening

As of yet there is no operating system installed as the hard drives havent arrived so this is the details of the build so far

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO Sockel AM3 ATX

AMD Phenom II X4 955

Cooler Master Elite NV-334

Silverstone Strider SST-ST50F 500w

Club 3D Radeon HD4350

DDR3 4GB OCZ Gold XTC Ki

So when i power up the system everthing comes on however what happens is that if I hit the off switch the monitor goes blank however the main system fans one at the front back and the cpu all stay on .

Havent see any options on the bios to disable this so I am wondering is this normal or have I cabled up the controll panel incorrectly though from what i can see I have doublechecked this and cant see any issues there .

Any advice or comments welcome ... thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

glomar wrote: »
    hi there all just put together my new build and this is what is happening

As of yet there is no operating system installed as the hard drives havent arrived so this is the details of the build so far

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO Sockel AM3 ATX

AMD Phenom II X4 955

Cooler Master Elite NV-334

Silverstone Strider SST-ST50F 500w

Club 3D Radeon HD4350

DDR3 4GB OCZ Gold XTC Ki

So when i power up the system everthing comes on however what happens is that if I hit the off switch the monitor goes blank however the main system fans one at the front back and the cpu all stay on .

Havent see any options on the bios to disable this so I am wondering is this normal or have I cabled up the controll panel incorrectly though from what i can see I have doublechecked this and cant see any issues there .

Any advice or comments welcome ... thanks in advance

What version of windows do you have?

Have you something like "send pc to sleep mode when power button pressed" set in your bios or windows?

What happens if you select a shutdown as normal in windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭glomar

no hard drives as of yet in the system so this is a bare metal system

so there is no os on the system to play around with it only board , proc video card and memory is installed so if there is an operating system tweak to fix this well we will have to wait untill wensday at the earliest

as for the bios setting you suggested ... would this feature be enabled not that i can see it anywhere after an NVRAM clear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

try holding the power switch for 10 seconds and seeing if you get a full power down. mobo is probably in suspended/active mode.

what can i say ... its been 12 years since i built the last pc ...

you need to hold down the on / off switch for about 5 -10 seconds for it to respond to its power shutdown not like the old p2's from ages gone by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Typically pressing the power button once starts the shutdown procedure (in windows). It's not a straight on off button like it used to be years ago. Without the OS there it might be confusing the motherboard I wouldn't panic just yet, wait and see what happens when you get windows installed.

will let you all know ... thanks for the heads up .

Hard drives are supposed to arrive on wensday ... we shall see what happens after thant

Advertisement