Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how does the cao system work for irish student doing course in england

Options
  • 16-01-2010 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

hi

i have done my leaveing in june 08' and have deciden that with the down turn in ecconomy i would like to do what i should have done in 08' i have looked into the hetac course in palaskenry in cunjunction with l.i.t i i wont have enough points to do it unless i repeat my leaveing again .i was talking to guy in palaskenry he told me to try england for similar course in reaseheath college . how does it work for an irish student doing a uk course ?????
    any veiws welcome

thanks

bk1991

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

You have to make a UKAS application - essentially the same as the CAO but it includes a statement and about 5 choices I think it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

Orlaladuck wrote: »
    You have to make a UKAS application - essentially the same as the CAO but it includes a statement and about 5 choices I think it is?

is the points over there usualy higher or lower ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Bhoy_

They don't use points, but tell you they want you to get,for example, three B's in higher and a B in pass. On average it seems a bit easier to get into a course there verus one here with the same results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 muppet26

check out their website, www.reaseheath.ac.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

The UCAS application deadline is usually 15 January but they've extended it by a week. You need to get a UCAS account on http://www.ucas.ac.uk and register your leaving cert results. You also need a reference from a someone in your school and you need to write a personal statement explaining why you want to apply for the course. Get going!

• Advertisement

muppet26 wrote: »
    check out their website, www.reaseheath.ac.uk/

i have checked it out only prob is i cant seem find full time course they all seam parttime mebey not i am looking pratcial learning in tractors engines transmintions .electrics ,softwares ,computer units,basicaly anything thats on a tractor .

i am going give them a call mabey sat16 if there open or wait til monday

bk1991

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 muppet26

their is one course that might match what your looking for, on their website click on courses, and under engineering the second course listed, its called first diploma in land based technology 1 year full time, application form is on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Ive applied for england I did it on the 14th...its easier to get in their but the value of a Leaving Cert A1 is only 90 points theire and an A2 is only 76 I think...Irish Uni's suck in my opinion though so I cant wait to get to england.

muppet26 wrote: »
    their is one course that might match what your looking for, on their website click on courses, and under engineering the second course listed, its called first diploma in land based technology 1 year full time, application form is on the website.

yea looks good . also looked at the third one .
    http://www.reaseheath.ac.uk/dotnetnuke/Home/Engineering/NationalDiplomainLandBasedTechnologyCertifi/tabid/104/Default.aspx
    it says entry requirments of at least 4 c's at gcse level .how does that compare to our leaveing cert system ?

bk1991

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

bk1991 wrote: »
    yea looks good . also looked at the third one .
    http://www.reaseheath.ac.uk/dotnetnuke/Home/Engineering/NationalDiplomainLandBasedTechnologyCertifi/tabid/104/Default.aspx
    it says entry requirments of at least 4 c's at gcse level .how does that compare to our leaveing cert system ?

bk1991

gcse is leaving cert ordinary level although some colleges might look at junior cert results if it was borderline

Grades A,B,C in gcse = grades A,B,C,D in leaving cert ordinary

so 4 D3's in pass leaving cert subjects (roughly!). Basically they want you to have passed the leaving (i think)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

I was talking to my guidance counsellor about going to England, but changed my mind. However, I do remember her telling me that you should apply way before the deadline (at least 2-3 weeks before deadline) to increase the chances of being accepted as they'll think you are more serious and sincere about your application.

pathway33 wrote: »
    gcse is leaving cert ordinary level although some colleges might look at junior cert results if it was borderline

Grades A,B,C in gcse = grades A,B,C,D in leaving cert ordinary

so 4 D3's in pass leaving cert subjects (roughly!). Basically they want you to have passed the leaving (i think)

for this http://www.reaseheath.ac.uk/dotnetnuke/Home/Engineering/NationalDiplomainLandBasedTechnologyCertifi/tabid/104/Default.aspx
    Entry requirements are .

at least 4 GCSEs at grade c or above ,english,maths,and science prefered .

i have the following in my leaveing and junior cert

junior cert
    ordinary irish E
    ordinary english D
    ordinary maths B
    ordinary history C
    ordinary geography E
    ordinary french D
    higher art D
    higher wood work C
    higher science f
    cspe C

leaveing cert

foundation irish . B2
    ordinary english . D3
    ordinary maths . C2
    ordinary geography. B2
    ordinary french. E

ordinary
    agriculture science. B2
    ordinary
    construction studies .C1

do i have what there looking for ?

i defionitaly dont have enough for anything like this in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

slightly off topic.

My son did his leaving in 09 and got 380 points.
    he is currently in the UK doing volountary work from nov last until June.
    If he were to decide to stay there and go to University next Sept (this year) would he qualify for the Uk government loan. the loan I refer to is the one the student takes on and undertakes to repay after he /she gets a job following qualification.
    I understand that if he had simply left school here, enrolled in University over there he would not be eligible for the loan.
    what I am now asking is would his present spell over there entitle him to apply for the loan?

regards Rugbyman

2 B's 2 C's and a D. Just based on grades I'd say you are well in. English colleges put more emphasis on your overall application than do the irish colleges. Farm or machinery experience will stand to you a lot in your application too

2 B's 2 C's and a D. Just based on grades I'd say you are well in. English colleges put more emphasis on your overall application than do the irish colleges. Farm or machinery experience will stand to you a lot in your application too

i have done 3 months at an agri garrage in summer 08 .and two weeks in 06 ,live on farm ,and have worked on a large potatoe farm for 6mts .that would count as experience woulnt it

u talkin the leaven cert marks there

bk1991 wrote: »
    i have done 3 months at an agri garrage in summer 08 .and two weeks in 06 ,live on farm ,and have worked on a large potatoe farm for 6mts .that would count as experience woulnt it

u talkin the leaven cert marks there

that's fantastic experience. More than a lot of the other applicants I would say. Don't forget to say how much you loved it and felt motivated by the work.

yep i'm talkin leaven cert marks there

that's fantastic experience. More than a lot of the other applicants I would say. Don't forget to say how much you loved it and felt motivated by the work.

yep i'm talkin leaven cert marks there

ok cheers for all the help on here .il give em a ring tomorrow and c what they say .o and to ad to the experience i will am starting a 6week ard welding course wit fas and i get some sort small certificate might help .

i dono if its to be applied through college of ucas

bk1991

Advertisement