Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Water system...what are my rights

Options
  • 16-01-2010 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm a first time renter and have been having problems with water in the house for the last month. There is no water in the hot taps...well it comes and goes every few days Cannot flush toilet or use shower at our ease. We're reduced to timing showers...running up to attic to check levels in header tank....hauling buckets upstairs to fill cistern.
    Property management keep fobbing us off saying we're drawing off water too fast and causing airlocks....if I hear this once more I may just explode. There's NO WAY 2 people can use that much water when we're afraid to even turn on the tap at the moment.
    Does anyone know what my rights are here. Can I refuse to pay rent until this is sorted properly....WILL NOT be treated like this...it's been going on too long
    Am cross!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

chizzle82 wrote: »
    Can I refuse to pay rent until this is sorted properly....
    No. Doing so may get you evicted.
    WILL NOT be treated like this...it's been going on too long
    Am cross!!!
    Where are you based? The lack of water is hitting people hard all over the place, some having no water at all. Check with your neighbours, etc, as this may be affecting your entire estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 chizzle82

Have checked with the neighbours. While their water froze at one point they said it returned once the thaw set in without any problem. Our pipes froze....thaw set in.....still no water in taps although header tank full of water. There must be an air lock in the pipes but I don't think this is our fault like the property management keeps claiming.
    We have full pressure water in the mains tap in the kitchen. Nothing going to toilet/bathroom taps or hot tap in kitchen.
    Neither of us were home all day yesterday so we couldn't possibly have drawn off the water too fast resulting in an air-lock like they are claiming.
    I'm no expert by any stretch but surely this shouldn't be happening (3rd time in 2 weeks) and surely the prop. management should be more willing to send plumber in to have proper look.
    Ant advice appreciated. Am trying to keep my calm hat on before I ring them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Have checked with the neighbours. While their water froze at one point they said it returned once the thaw set in without any problem. Our pipes froze....thaw set in.....still no water in taps although header tank full of water. There must be an air lock in the pipes but I don't think this is our fault like the property management keeps claiming.
    We have full pressure water in the mains tap in the kitchen. Nothing going to toilet/bathroom taps or hot tap in kitchen.
    Neither of us were home all day yesterday so we couldn't possibly have drawn off the water too fast resulting in an air-lock like they are claiming.
    I'm no expert by any stretch but surely this shouldn't be happening (3rd time in 2 weeks) and surely the prop. management should be more willing to send plumber in to have proper look.
    Ant advice appreciated. Am trying to keep my calm hat on before I ring them again!

Have you checked your water pump is working? Should be in a press in the hall or landing. It could have tripped or it may need to be primed.

Advertisement