Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC restarts instead of shuts down.

• 16-01-2010 1:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Like the title says, when I click on shut down, the machine shuts down and then restarts as if I'd pressed the restart button instead.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Its a very recent problem, only started on Wednesday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

That's weird alright. Is there any odd setting in the Power Options (in Control Panel)? Go to the 'Advanced' tab to check.

Kevin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Kevster wrote: »
    That's weird alright. Is there any odd setting in the Power Options (in Control Panel)? Go to the 'Advanced' tab to check.

Kevin

Yep, check on the left-hand side of the windows where it might say "Change what the power buttons do"
    There might be settings there that need to be re-adjusted.

Example:

qso9dv.jpg

Sounds to me like a blue screen and the PC is set to automatically reboot, which is the default option. Might want to try disabling this to se if you get a blue screen rather than a reboot. Under Vista and 7 it's in Computer properties, Advanced System Settings and the third Settings button on the Advanced tab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Karsini wrote: »
    Sounds to me like a blue screen and the PC is set to automatically reboot, which is the default option. Might want to try disabling this to se if you get a blue screen rather than a reboot. Under Vista and 7 it's in Computer properties, Advanced System Settings and the third Settings button on the Advanced tab.
    I would also think it something like this. Good thinking. I think the OP meant clicking the shut down button, not pressing the shut down button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Webmonkey wrote: »
    I would also think it something like this. Good thinking. I think the OP meant clicking the shut down button, not pressing the shut down button.

Yea, thats what I meant. Start>Turn Off computer>Turn off

I checked the options in the power settings, and that option was set to shut down.

I'm using XP BTW.

• Advertisement

For XP, right-click My Computer, choose Properties, go to the Advanced tab and click the Settings button under "Startup and recovery" - third one down. Disable "Automatically restart" and try to shut down. If it's what I think it is, you'll get a blue screen at the point where it normally reboots, if so then post the STOP error code.

For XP, right-click My Computer, choose Properties, go to the Advanced tab and click the Settings button under "Startup and recovery" - third one down. Disable "Automatically restart" and try to shut down. If it's what I think it is, you'll get a blue screen at the point where it normally reboots, if so then post the STOP error code.

OK, before I do all that, what's the stop error code?

You'll see it near the bottom of the screen, such as this:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x804E518E, 0xFC938104, 0xFC937E04)

The first part after STOP would be sufficient for me.

You'll see it near the bottom of the screen, such as this:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x804E518E, 0xFC938104, 0xFC937E04)

The first part after STOP would be sufficient for me.

STOP: c000021a

That error means that a component which is needed for correct operation of the operating system (either Csrss.exe or Winlogon.exe) has shut down unexpectedly. The easiest way to sort this might be to use System Restore to go back to a date when you know the machine was working. Unfortunately it's not clear-cut, I know what's happening but not why it's happening.

• Advertisement

OK cheers. I'll give that a try.

OK, so I did all that, its still not shutting down properly. I went back nearly a month, well before the problem first occured, and it kept telling me that it could not complete the roll back.

Advertisement