Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick question on memory

• 16-01-2010 1:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,327 ✭✭✭✭

First up I know very little about computers so bear that in mind before replying :D

To keep it brief I got a new PC a few weeks ago and it is supposed to have 4GB memory. I ran a little PC checker from the PC Pitstop site and it lists all the various components etc and it states that there is only 3GB memory.

Theres probably a simple answer to this along the lines of so much of the memory being used by the graphics card or the likes (just guessing here) but could anyone offer up any opinions on where the other 1GB of memory has gone or is their a possibility that there was only 3GB installed from day one?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

xp only displays up to 3gig to the best of my knowledge and doesn't even use that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,327 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Random wrote: »
    xp only displays up to 3gig to the best of my knowledge and doesn't even use that much.
    Sorry Random not sure what you mean. If its any help the OS is Vista (home premium I think)

Any other little programme I could run to determine the exact amount of memory installed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Right click on My Computer and click Properties.

It should tell you in there how much RAM you have installed.

CPU-Z will also tell you. It will also tell you how much sticks of RAM you have, how big each stick is, the type of RAM etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,327 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Right click on My Computer and click Properties.

It should tell you in there how much RAM you have installed.
    Sorry, forgot to mention that I had already done this and it showed 4gb but it was the pcpitstop test results that were leaving me puzzled.

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    CPU-Z will also tell you. It will also tell you how much sticks of RAM you have, how big each stick it, the type of RAM etc.
    Just done that and it shows 4GB so all in all that would be fairly conclusive. As stated i was getting a bit worried from reading the other test results. I'll mentally retract all those nasty thoughts I was having about Dell :D

Thanks for the help Random & Bob Harris. Appreciated.

Advertisement