Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Language & Garmin

Options
  • 16-01-2010 3:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭

Heading up and down the M1, I noticed that towns and cities names such as Belfast or Balbriggan are in Irish on the green bar at the top of the map.

This must be an error. If you choose to view the map or search for a town, all you will find is the proper English version.

Now before the gaelic taliban out there critisize me for this complaint I ask you these questions ....

> How many of you out there know the Irish for Balgriggan ?

> What about tourists travelling north and south of the border?

So I repeat, this is a monumentally ginormous mistake!

So now do we get it fixed ???????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

And here's the other extreme, you've probably heard of the weather site called AccuWeather.com? Well if you want the forecast for Dun Laoghaire you have to search for Kingstown even though it hasn't been called that since 1921....

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/index-forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&postalcode=EUR;IE;EI006;KINGSTOWN;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭eirman

coylemj wrote: »
    Well if you want the forecast for Dun Laoghaire

I think you mean Dunleary

I'm surprised that this topic did not receive any attention here in this forum.

I have since discovered that the problem is countrywide. Surely everyone else is experiencing the same problem.

Is it unique to my NUVI 760 ?

Is there any way to reboot the device and reset the locale to the UK ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

eirman wrote: »
    I'm surprised that this topic did not receive any attention here in this forum.

I have since discovered that the problem is countrywide. Surely everyone else is experiencing the same problem.

Is it unique to my NUVI 760 ?

Is there any way to reboot the device and reset the locale to the UK ?
    Which map version do you have? I seem to remember one version a while back having the tendency to report Irish names instead of English ones, you could also see this in Mapsource if you hovered over a placename or something like an airport where it called it an aerfort instead, but it's not something I've noticed recently I have to admit.

Alun wrote: »
    Which map version do you have?

The very latest - 2010.30 (it was the same for 2010.20)

The problem is mainly evident on the green info bar at the top of the screen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

This was an Issue with TomTom upto v830. There are still a few examples. Navteq obviousally have more,
    I suggest you report the issues (along with examples) to Navteq here

Advertisement