Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are mediums real? or just really good detectives?

Options
  • 16-01-2010 4:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi im curious to see what people experiences are with mediums and psychics?
    i went to a psychic before and it was all bull. She did the tarot cards and told me to make a wish and for an extra €10 to bring the total to €50 for the wish to come true. This was years ago and i guess i was a lot more foolish and was financially better at the time. But it seems to me that the whole tarot thing and astrology is not a science and just 100% scam. Theres even adverts on gumtree for telephone operators required for tarot reading. It does not mention anything about them having to have "the gift". So has anyone ever gone to a medium or psychic who never knew them or any of their details and yet the medium was able to tell them their past and talk of loved ones who had died ? things that they would have had no way of knowing if they were not geniune mediums or/and psychic.
    Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The person you went to sounds like a real joker. €10 to have your wish come true? There are nigerian email scams less clumsy than that. :)

Pity of it is there are a heck of a lot of people out there scamming like that. Its the modern version of snake oil because people dont know what to expect and there cant really be trading standards rules for fortune telling. (Though there are EU laws on it)

Whether it is 'real' gets argued here all the time. All I can say is that there certainly are genuine readers out there, who believe in what they do and have their clients best interests at heart. And I have participated in and watched readings where the information was so specific as to be stunning for the recipient.

The only problem is sorting the good from the bad, unfortunately, and you need to go to any reader with a good healthy dose of common sense and a knowledge of how cold reading works. And stop the reading and DO NOT PAY if you are not happy with how the reader is working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭j2u

"cold reading" , i knew there was a term for it but i couldnt think of it. what you mentioned about specifics id like to experiance the same .id like to be able to go to a medium and tell him/her not to tell me anything verbally and not to ask me any questions and just write down all his/her revalations and predictions. If they write down the names and details of family members who have died without asking me a single question. It seems to me if it is anyway possible they should be able to do this . So would anybody be able to reccomend somebody qualified and please understand that if they cant do it as specified i would be not paying money for it.
    Thanks

A medium reading is usually a bit more conversational than that, but would involve statements, not questions, to which the only answer should be 'yes' 'no' or 'maybe'. Would this be stringent enough for you? It would be how all snu mediums are trained, so if that kind of thing was suitable, you could look up one that way.

Ive seen readings done as you describe, but only about one spirit person. It was in a training session rather than a paid session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Not one single Psychic/medium/angel/tarot card reader is real. Think about it if you could speak to the dead and say you had a mother who was heartbroken after losing her son and wanted to know he was ok would you seriously charge her ???

The one you went to seems paticulary dodgey ive never heard of one saying give me 50euro and ill make your wishe come true.

Not one single Psychic/medium/angel/tarot card reader is real. Think about it if you could speak to the dead and say you had a mother who was heartbroken after losing her son and wanted to know he was ok would you seriously charge her ???
    Not so much getting into this argument with you. Ive sighed over that blanket statement too many times here already. But there are mediums who do not charge.
    The one you went to seems paticulary dodgey ive never heard of one saying give me 50euro and ill make your wishe come true.
    On this we agree... total scam artist.

• Advertisement

it seems that if they were in any way real then why would they need to ask questions. it just seems like its a clever form of cold reading and that by asking questions they ae more like sherlock holmes than a medium/psychic.
    To put it bluntly can you please detail what i any is the evidence to support that there are some mediums that are real and can actually contact the dead and have knowledge of things that they could have had no prior knowledge other than divine intervention /the gift. Im not trying to discredit anybodys belied i just want some clarification for myself as to whether it could be real or not. Its really a yes/no answer for me by which i mean there is no in between answer for it. It is either real or 100% scam . So please anybody detail your experiances to why it is real or is it like blind faith as with religion in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lolita11

Hi All,

I am quite new on this forum. I found it while looking on the web for a good psychic in Dublin. I would like to try the experience. So far carol Byrne has received a lot of good comments here and would appreciate to get her contacts. Anyone who can do so, many thanks in advance. Please send me a pm.I would also consider any other suggestions from your good experience with dublin psychics.

For all those who are questioning about real and not real pychics, try out your own experience. It is the only good way to know/ have your own opinion on this matter.

Hope to read ya soon!!

Lolita11 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am quite new on this forum. I found it while looking on the web for a good psychic in Dublin. I would like to try the experience. So far carol Byrne has received a lot of good comments here and would appreciate to get her contacts. Anyone who can do so, many thanks in advance. Please send me a pm.I would also consider any other suggestions from your good experience with dublin psychics.

For all those who are questioning about real and not real pychics, try out your own experience. It is the only good way to know/ have your own opinion on this matter.

Hope to read ya soon!!

hi thanks for your input but why would i try to experiance something that is as about as real as time travel?
    Again om not trying to offend peoples beliefsbut if i told you i could enable you to travel back through time would you pay me money even if i could not provide such a service?
    it seems like a simple question to me. If you belive its real can you please detail as to why you believe so?
    Many people believe in god who is a being referred to in the bible which is fine but as regards to people who belive in psychics or mediums what is the foundation/ evidence in your belief? Not one person has responded to my question by detailing there own experience so at the moment there is as much reason to believe in time travel as there is in psychics/mediums.Blind faith is not evidence , the same way the bible is not proof of god and is just the best selling book of all time and nothing more. So again i ask has anybody been to a psychic or medium and they knew things with no prior knowledge?
    If yes please detail and if no then dont reply to this post as there is nothing more to discuss.
    Thank You

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭jimm55

j2u wrote: »
    Hi im curious to see what people experiences are with mediums and psychics?
    i went to a psychic before and it was all bull. She did the tarot cards and told me to make a wish and for an extra €10 to bring the total to €50 for the wish to come true. This was years ago and i guess i was a lot more foolish and was financially better at the time. But it seems to me that the whole tarot thing and astrology is not a science and just 100% scam. Theres even adverts on gumtree for telephone operators required for tarot reading. It does not mention anything about them having to have "the gift". So has anyone ever gone to a medium or psychic who never knew them or any of their details and yet the medium was able to tell them their past and talk of loved ones who had died ? things that they would have had no way of knowing if they were not geniune mediums or/and psychic.
    Thanks
    Yes , there certainly are real mediums out there . They may be very few, but they DO exist. I know two who are fairly good. One is in Belfast. She is blind from birth. Her name is Shareon. I met her last September. As soon as I sat down , she told me why I had come. I did not stay long, as I was very aware that there were a lot of people waiting to see her. There was a a woman outside taking money . It was £30, but only if you were happy with the reading, (which I was.) She has a book out "second sight " that is worth a read. She is to be in Strabane this week for a day.
    The other, is Joe from Ballyfermot , who has been all over the media in the last few months. I met him for the first time12 years ago. He described my dad who passed away 3 years before, as well as things in and around my house. (He had never been in the county I live in at that time.) He told me everything that was going on in my life at that time, (there was a lot) and told me how things were going to pan out over the weeks and years ahead. Everything came to pass the way he said. He did not use cards or anything. He never asked for any money. I bought him a pint..............best value for money I ever got. Don't be put off by the begrudgers. As far as mediums / clairvoyants go, his man is as real as they come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Carter96

Oryx wrote: »
    Not so much getting into this argument with you. Ive sighed over that blanket statement too many times here already. But there are mediums who do not charge.

On this we agree... total scam artist.

Forgive me but, I think you're being very naive. Why won't anyone prove they're psychic if they're psychic?

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/1m-challenge.html

• Advertisement

Hi carter. You just hit on the paranormal forums version of godwins law. :) If you search youll see James Randi has been discussed here ad nauseum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Carter96

Oryx wrote: »
    Hi carter. You just hit on the paranormal forums version of godwins law. :) If you search youll see James Randi has been discussed here ad nauseum.

Ah I see that now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭bog master

Just to add my experience. Went for a reading last October. Walked in, offered a cup of tea, said nothing, just sat there. Then she asked who is Mairead, tallish with dark hair, you are seeing here romantically. SPOT ON was dating this woman.

Then she told me she also sees a another woman that I am in contact with, lives nearby but not for long, its a kind of a flirtatious nature, something might develop or may not, but will stay friends, she is blonde and good bit younger than myself but is due to move away but not far, but friendship will remain. Took me a few minutes to realise, again spot on, and friends still, chat once or twice a week

Asked who was Grainne and that she would be in contact again soon. G was someone I dated a few times and the next week, received an email from her.

Was told I would be in hospital for a very short period of time soon, and yes an overnight stay two months later for tests, am fine by the way.

Got the children right, two boys and a girl and the daughter would be facing a change in direction soon. She was in college at the time, and as of now, having completed the Autumn term, has decided not to go back. The reading was in early October.

A good few other personal things came up, but overall quite impressed. I dont know how she would have been able to tell me these things without some psychic
    abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lolita11

Would you please someone be so kind and Pm me contacts of any good psychics in dublin?

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lilliann888

A good few other personal things came up, but overall quite impressed. I dont know how she would have been able to tell me these things without some psychic
    abilities.[/quote]
    hi , whom did you go to , thanks
    lilly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

j2u wrote: »
    [...] So again i ask has anybody been to a psychic or medium and they knew things with no prior knowledge?
    If yes please detail and if no then dont reply to this post as there is nothing more to discuss.
    Thank You

I don't have much time to ramble on here right now (Celebrity Big Brother is on - yes, the sad life I lead :rolleyes:), but I saw this bloke named Peter Matthew just before Christmas after hearing a half a dozen rave reviews, and I was pretty damn amazed afterwards. I had only given him my first name beforehand and, even so, I don't have any personal, traceable (based on my first name, which is a common enough name, btw), info posted for public consumption on the net. I dunno how the f uck he knew all these names of deceased relatives I have and how they died, or how he gave me messages from one of my nans about actions I had taken privately and in seclusion. Highly specific stuff that you can't get by cold reading me. I have met scam sham twats claiming to be psychic in the past, btw. You have to live and learn, and sift through the sh*t to find the gold. Anyway, yer man had me fairly shaken for about a day or two after the reading. If you think you'd like to give a reading with him a lash, his details are here.

Good luck.

hi all,
    hope to get response from you guys on this please. Had readings with a medium , she told me names , dates as in 5 of january , 22 of feb , times as 10.30 pm , places , work places ,posts, songs , etc, I can go on and on and all true , even a dream i had few nights b4!!!!!
    Is that mediumship or what exactly??
    thanks for any insight
    lilly

hi all,
    hope to get response from you guys on this please. Had readings with a medium , she told me names , dates as in 5 of january , 22 of feb , times as 10.30 pm , places , work places ,posts, songs , etc, I can go on and on and all true , even a dream i had few nights b4!!!!!
    Is that mediumship or what exactly??
    thanks for any insight
    lilly
    Did she say she was working with spirit? When she worked with you, did she seem to concentrate directly on you, or was she focused on something else, say another point in the room, or maybe seemed distant, lacking eye contact? How she was would give clues to how she was reading. Sometimes readers get info from spirit without realising, they think its psychic.

The info she gave sounds psychic, btw. :)

oh , yes . she said she has my dad with her , my gran , my friend's mam and relatives , gave name of all which all were right . she said she works with spirits alright . she said she will summen the spirit world around me . she said a prayer first to God , then all info came pouring . By the way , it was a telephone consultation as she is not in ireland . She even said that I live in a place called FAIR CITY . I was calling from a UK number at this stage . I was so scared and still is. I ve been to mediums and psychic , I really dont know how did she mannage to get all this . What do you think guys . thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

OP,

Try to get to a demonstration by Gordon Smith. Youll walk out in no doubt...

• Advertisement

OP,

Try to get to a demonstration by Gordon Smith. Youll walk out in no doubt...

what does that suppose to mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Chriskavo

I went to see Christine Holohan in Portlaoise after reading her book ' Voice from the grave'. that book tell the remarkable story of how she was able to solve the murder of an English woman in the 70's. The information she received apparently came from the victim herself!.I had also heard her interview on Joe Duffy so was aware of her profile and reckoned that she must be Ireland's best psychic.Anyway I drove down with the wife who was also keen to get a reading and eventually found her practice in Tara Court. It is down an obscure lane way and you have to climb a flight of stairs to get to her waiting room.The waiting room is like a doctors practice with old mags and newspapers to read and she has various newspaper articles related to her psychic ability on the wall.She is a slightly eccentric but friendly woman and eventually after about 45 mins waiting I got to get my eagerly anticipated reading. You go in to a poky room with a table separating you from her and she asks you to sit down and pick a number of tarot cards. After the usual small chat and introductions , she asks for a memento from a departed loved one and proceeds to make her reading. She rolls her eyes up into her head while holding and rubbing the object before she starts to talk. I was determined to reveal as little as possible about myself and my history because I am a healthy skeptic and wanted to make sure she was the real deal. She mentioned numerous things and vague descriptions which could have been about anything really.She tried to glean info from me too but I held sway. She did mention that my recently deceased mother had commented on the fact that I was drinking a lot of coffee and that my brother was moving out near the sea. Both correct in a sense, but coincidence and cold readings in my book. I have to say that I left very disappointed and even more skeptical than before and so did my wife who found that she got nothing accurate about her life. I do know of a friend of mine who's sister went to see a guy who's surname is 'Gough' ( sorry I forget his first name) and he hit the nail on a lot of things that he could not possibly have known.

Advertisement