Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forearm Tattoo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I presume the second pic isn't to go on a forearm? The best advice I can give you is think long and hard about any tattoo you want to get, but think longer and harder about a forearm tat!!

Seriously a tattoo is something you really do have for life, be sure you really love the design. The only issue with forearm tattoos is they are difficult to hide, and could present problems in life (mainly in work I would think) I wish it wasn't so but unfortunately it is.

Equally, don't let that put you off, if this is something you really want, you're sure, and you feel it won't harm any chances you may have in work ( or could be easily covered if necessary) then by all means get it.

Oh for the day when tattoos are the norm and never have to be hidden... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Working on the presumption that you have no or very few/small tattoos, I would be hesitant about diving into the tattoo world with a forearm tattoo.
    The reason I say this is placement and future tattooing prospects more than anything.
    Personally speaking I have a forearm tattoo that, money willing, I will be covering as part of a full colour sleeve over the next year or 2. I got it a good few years ago, when my knowledge of tattooing was not what it is today and the sources for impartial advice were not there or widely known, while I still very much like the tattoo for what it is and the time in my life it represents, I do however regret the placement as from a artistic point of view there's no flow to it because its just plonked there (so to speak).

Do think carefully about what tattoos you decide to get, though I disagree with the tattoos V Job prospects, as unless you show up to the interview in a t-shirt or short sleeved shirt they wont be an issue, or unless you work somewhere where a uniform of short-sleeved top is required.
    As for the tattoo ideas themselves, I'm not a fan of script tattoos per se but I presume that the lyrics have some personal meaning so fire away but do think hard about the placement.
    The second tattoo of the tribal hellcat, it's a nice image in itself, but I cant see anyone looking back on this type of tattoo in 10 years time with any sense of feeling that "Yes, this is my awesome tattoo." When you could have something along these lines:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055613031

Hope thats of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

yea i dont midn the forearm thing as work wouldnt be an issue so I woudlnt let taht get in t he way. And yea the lyrics are very much an insight into my life and living.. which is also the same with the hellcat tattoo.. symbolizing my personality and the likes.

With regards thinking ' wow this is my awesoem tattoo' I dont think everyone thinks that about all tattoo's.. personally I dont like that Catwoman tatt. Im not a fan of the colouring on tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

As somebody with tattoos on both forearms I have to echo what Diceicle has said on thinking hard about the placement if you plan to get more tattoos in the future. If you ever wanted to get a sleeve you might find that your forearm tatt completed gets in the way of what you want to go for, which means you'll either have to cover it or plan your sleeve around it. I planned my sleeve so that it fitted around what I already had on my forearm but the particular theme I chose just happened to match, it'll be a lot harder to do that with a text tattoo.

As well as that the remaining lone forearm tatt on my other arm now looks slightly out of place in comparison, or as Diceicle said like it's "just plonked there", which means I'll probably end up getting something else on that arm now to fill it out a bit!

Even if you don't think you'll ever want a sleeve you run the risk of the placement looking a bit off from an artistic point of view, so my advice would be to draw it on first and take lots of pics to see if you like it.
    Then do the same again, and again, and again, and if you think you still like after seeing it on yourself on a few different days when you're in different moods and such then by all means go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

One thing I have noticed regarding employment, it depends on where you are. I work in Barcelona as a primary school teacher and no one here would bat an eyelid, one of the teachers has a tattoo on her wrist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement