Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red wine birthday present

Options
  • 16-01-2010 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a friends birthday coming up and I'm looking to get him a bottle of red wine. I know he likes Penfolds and I'm looking to spend about 40-50 euro. Would anyone have a recommendations other then the above information that is about the extent of my knowledge?

I am not based in Dublin/Ireland with regards to shops but I can hopefully track it down.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Woden
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

Woden wrote: »
    Hi,

I've a friends birthday coming up and I'm looking to get him a bottle of red wine. I know he likes Penfolds and I'm looking to spend about 40-50 euro. Would anyone have a recommendations other then the above information that is about the extent of my knowledge?

I am not based in Dublin/Ireland with regards to shops but I can hopefully track it down.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Woden

The Irish times magazine always does a good wine section on Saturdays, you could have a look there, John Wilson always gives good suggestions and advice. And as you are aware wine is a mine field. Is it for food, easy drinking etc.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

By coincidence John Wilson reviewed Penfolds last week
    here and here

If you are in Stockholm these are going to be a bit more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If you can find D'Arnberg The Dead Arm, I'm sure that any Aussie aficionado would appreciate it. (not sure what are the best vintages, though)

I'd certainly love a present of that bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

Pop into an independent retailer and they'll have the expertise to guide you on the best value for money around that price. If you're moving away from Penfold, try Glaetzers's Amon Ra from the Barossa Valley in South Australia. Magnificent now, even better in 10-15 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Thanks again for the suggestions guys.

In the end another friend went in on the present and we went for the Penfolds Bin 707 which seemed to have been met with approval!

• Advertisement
Advertisement