Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did a re-hash of the Rocket Stove win the 2010 Young Scientist?

• 16-01-2010 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

The Rocket stove has been around for years and there are plenty of Youtube videos and websites devoted to building and improving them.

http://www.rocketstove.org/

What has this one got that makes it a winner?

Is Mise,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Maybe making a functional one out of comminly available scrap in 3rd wordl countries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

What made it a winner was a number of things from where I am standing. First of, he looked at the once currently being made and noticed that, in his own words, "were crap." By this he meant that how the current ones used the fuel was wasteful.

Secondly, as egan007 said, his stove was made out of commonly available scrap and a pen knife.

Thirdly, he didn't just make one, but a number of prototypes to find which design used the least amount of materials while getting the most out of the fuel source.

Alas, this was the first year I didn't make it to the RDS, so I can't comment on the quality of the projects overall. But one of the important things in the Young Scientist is that the students not only understand the scientific method but also how to apply it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭deisemum

I think he's a worthy winner.

My son and his 2 team mates got a highly commended award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 LemonBarnOwl

I've already talked about this on another thread but there's a resemblance here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

The chap also was well able to speak up for himself. Maybe that gave him an edge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I've already talked about this on another thread but there's a resemblance here
    If you look at the second video, he uses a simple rocket stove (similar to the one in the first video) to explain the principles of rocket stoves in general. But his creation is a much larger thing which he shows later on in the video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 LemonBarnOwl

SkepticOne wrote: »
    If you look at the second video, he uses a simple rocket stove (similar to the one in the first video) to explain the principles of rocket stoves in general. But his creation is a much larger thing which he shows later on in the video.

In the second video he says that he designed that stove and then increased the size of it. :)

Advertisement