Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help boosting Wireless, I havnt a clue?

Options
  • 16-01-2010 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Ok, i have a BT modem and a Belkin G+ Router in my bedroom, Just moved PS3 downstairs into the lounge and the wireless signal is 10% which is not acceptable for streaming movies. I think its because the walls are so think (room is an extention). Running a wired network is NOT an option as there are enough cables running around the room (Home cinema etc).

I would consider myself pretty computer savvy but networking is a BIG no no for me, havnt got a clue about it.

Can anyone recommend a cheap way of boosting my signal downstairs. Whats this power over ethernet thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I would look into use develo or netgear ethernet powerplugs in your case.

http://www.netgear.com/Products/PowerlineNetworking/PowerlineEthernetAdapters/HDX101.aspx

Very simple plug one into your wall next to your router connect it to one of the free lan ports
    Plug the second downstairs next to your PS3, run a cable from it into your
    PS3.

Power up your ps3 configure your ps3 with either a static ip or let it pick one up via dhcp.

You can pick them up cheap enough online and if you are in a rush to get one go into PC world they have a load of them.
    Or if you have a second router downstairs can your set it up as a AP and use it that way, you would need something like a linksys wrt54gs with a custom firmware to do it on the cheap or else go and send a couple of quid on a proper access point to boost the single.

Cheapest way is the power plugs there is no setting up or configuration involved just plug them in and your good to go.

Advertisement