Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE 6

• 16-01-2010 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Anyone still designing for this relic? I have stopped bothering. I intend to include a browser spotter in future with a prompt to download the latest version.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Sadly it still has to be accounted for. If your site is W3C valid that'll solve 99.9% of IE6 problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

Anyone still designing for this relic? I have stopped bothering. I intend to include a browser spotter in future with a prompt to download the latest version.

Still widely used I'm afraid, especially in corporate environments, where due to group policies and legacy web apps IE6 is the only browser available ( BOI springs to mind ). Likely to be around for a while yet regretably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I intend to include a browser spotter in future with a prompt to download the latest version.

That's quite annoying - I don't like a site telling me what browser to use.

The stats across the sites I have access to in Google Analytics indicate that IE6 makes up about 10-15% of all IE users, who in turn make up about 65% or more of the overall visitors. This is a higher % of IE users than I thought there would be, but these sites are aimed at a wide audience so will include less tech-savvy users who are less likely to upgrade or install new browsers.

I would make sure the site is at least functional in IE, and at the most put a link at the bottom of the site with a link to upgrade their browser.

Advertisement