Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stoke City Vs Liverpool

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Typical tactics again. Score and sit back hoofing for 15 mins and invite the inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No what was it like?

Nothing but a Picture of rafa in a red aura, saying "He gaurenteed a top 4 finish.......now he faces a team with CL ambitions of their own"

Not sure whether it is cringeworthy or hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

monkey9 wrote: »
    FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How have we not scored there!!!

Jesus Christ! Before this season started, did the Liverpool team bus collide with a van carrying a load of black cats, swerve off course under a load of ladders before finally coming to a halt on an old Indian burial site, desecrating the f*ck out of it.

I wish this season would just p!ss off!!! Seriously, why did i ever get involved in football!! It's killing men It's sapping joy from me.

Just brilliant! Pretty much how I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

The draw was a fair result tbh. Neither team was ever in control of the game, it was scrappy and hurried the whole way through. Both teams created some good openings that they failed to capitalise on them and in the end both goals came with a bit luck. You can say what you want about the ref, but at the end of the day it doesn't alter the fact that neither team played well enough to take away the 3 points.

Very happy with the performance as a whole.

Bad luck has to run out eventually. Christ though, the penalty, the goalkick that should have been, Kuyt smashing the post.

Even the free kick doesn't balance it out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Theres nothing unlucky about Liverpool's tactics after they scored. You make your own luck in this game. They should never have been in the position where they ended up needing a Kuyt goal in the last second to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Jesus Christ! Before this season started, did the Liverpool team bus collide with a van carrying a load of black cats, swerve off course under a load of ladders before finally coming to a halt on an old Indian burial site, desecrating the f*ck out of it.

I wish this season would just p!ss off!!! Seriously, why did i ever get involved in football!! It's killing men It's sapping joy from me.
    Yes but before they went into the indian burial ground They went through a Mirror factory and collapsed the building

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Jesus Sky are loving this. A big day in our history??

No, it really isnt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

1444: Liverpool have now dropped 29 points in this Premier League season. They dropped 28 in the whole of their last campaign.

Wow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Jesus Sky are loving this. A big day in our history??

No, it really isnt!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Seriously, read through the posts and find one from a Liverpool supporter. You won't ****ing find one!

chillax i never actually said it was Liverpool fans posting them did I. I said o to be a pool fan, I mean even when you are winning against stoke and nobody can see Stoke scoring somehow it all goes wrong. Not a fun season for the Anfield faithfull, although i dont need to tell you as you are evidently quite annoyed atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

News just in....Liverpool don't have a divine right to win any game, or the league. They're not playing well, simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

daithijjj wrote: »
    Typical tactics again. Score and sit back hoofing for 15 mins and invite the inevitable.

The tactics didn't change after we scored the goal. We played the same way the whole match.

To be frank, we need to start getting the basics right again and to do that, you have to be somewhat conservative. The rot in the defense started around the time we beat Real and United last season.

We were all hoping that it was essentially a blip but it obviously goes much deeper than that. Screw attacking, expansive football and get back to keeping clean sheets and scraping wins for the next few weeks so that we can build a bit of confidence again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

noodler wrote: »
    Is it his fault there are no other fit strikers? That there is no real link between midfield and attack? That he is up there on his own? That half the first team creative players are injured?

He is slower than Kuty, comfortably so.

Jesus what a pundit!

Of course its not N'Gog's fault, its Benitez for starting him against Stoke. Its Benitez's for allowing his squad to have only 1 striker capable of making an impact. I also see you agreed that Kuyt isnt slower than N'Gog fair play.

Liverpool have too many soft players and not enough leaders. Fcuking Degen cant even control the ball.

Today showed the likes of Mascherano, Lucas, Kuyt, Reina care about what is happening to the club. Obviously Carra cares about things.

Insua as a young lad is failing a bit and needs to be given a break from the 1st team.

Aurelio needs to be given a new contract to keep him after the summer. His deliveries can be a key weapon for Liverpool and he should be 1st choice LB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Our problem was, yet again, an attack of nerves once we went ahead. The pressure was immense to finally hang onto a lead, and they dropped deeper and deeper, and panicked at any of the ball that came into the box.

It was a time for cool heads and confidence, we had neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

sky are tubes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Liverpool are just terrible right now. Hanging on desperately for a point against ****ing Stoke is shameful. Aside from the goalmouth scramble that Kyrigakos scored from and Kuyt's injury time header, they didn't create anything. No creativity, belief or skill on display at all.

Pool have just no luck this season, not even a small bit. They defended fairy well really throught the game but didn't have enough going forward. Lucas had a good game imo and tried to get forward, Ngog was a disgrace he couldn't control the ball. So bloody unlucky. I dont care what anybody says, Pool deserved the 3 points. The ref was a disgrace.

On a side note, why the hell are they allowing the towel to dry the ball. Wasn't that outlawed a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Very happy with the performance as a whole.

Bad luck has to run out eventually. Christ though, the penalty, the goalkick that should have been, Kuyt smashing the post.

Even the free kick doesn't balance it out!

VERY HAPPY WITH THAT PERFORMANCE!!! are you taking the mick? it was utterly shambolic

Liverpool are just terrible right now. Hanging on desperately for a point against ****ing Stoke is shameful. Aside from the goalmouth scramble that Kyrigakos scored from and Kuyt's injury time header, they didn't create anything. No creativity, belief or skill on display at all.
    Liverpool had two chances on target and Stoke 1

• Advertisement

Pool have just no luck this season, not even a small bit. They defended fairy well really throught the game but didn't have enough going forward. Lucas had a good game imo and tried to get forward, Ngog was a disgrace he couldn't control the ball. So bloody unlucky. I dont care what anybody says, Pool deserved the 3 points. The ref was a disgrace.

On a side note, why the hell are they allowing the towel to dry the ball. Wasn't that outlawed a while back.
    Why would a towel to dry the ball ever be outlawed

fullstop wrote: »
    News just in....Liverpool don't have a divine right to win any game, or the league. They're not playing well, simple as.

This just in, you need to make your opinions based on the game - not on some vague generalisation about Liverpool's form at the moment.

They played well today with the players at their disposal, were denied a clear penalty, conceded a corner that should have been a goal kick (perhaps that evens out the free though) and then Kuyt was so unfortunate to hit the post.

Great, generic post that isn't actually based on anything the poster you quoted said though.

Excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

I fairness, its probably good for liverpool to go through this, this season. Last season just papered over the cracks at the club. Liverpool need a redesign and a rethink & they will comeback stronger for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Wow

Yep spotted that yesterday.

United aren't that far off their points dropped either. Shows you the difference this season.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Dcully wrote: »
    The chap was simply outstanding last season,nowhere near that level this season but jaysus your way overboard on that one man.

Last season was last season. No pace, no vision, no touch (his 2nd touch is a tackle) and can't take a chance that a 40 year old Dion Dublin would have finished. I just do not think he is any ways good enough to be a Liverpool player. Honest and hardworking yes but that's about it imo.

mormank wrote: »
    VERY HAPPY WITH THAT PERFORMANCE!!! are you taking the mick? it was utterly shambolic

Take the CAPS elsewhere kid. The team battled exceptionally well today.

Maybe you want it pretty at the Britannia but not even Arsenal manage that, much less with their best three front players out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

chillax i never actually said it was Liverpool fans posting them did I. I said o to be a pool fan, I mean even when you are winning against stoke and nobody can see Stoke scoring somehow it all goes wrong. Not a fun season for the Anfield faithfull, although i dont need to tell you as you are evidently quite annoyed atm.
    I'm not a Liverpool fan but if I was your posts would certainly irritate me. Have you got a decent point to make about the game and not about how fans must feel?

Maybe you want it pretty at the Britannia but not even Arsenal manage that, much less with their best three front players out.

Battled well? It's about all they can do because once you take out Torres and Gerrard you're left with a group on average cloggers that wouldn't look out of place in a Stoke shirt. Too many average players signed by Benitez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The tactics didn't change after we scored the goal. We played the same way the whole match.

To be frank, we need to start getting the basics right again and to do that, you have to be somewhat conservative. The rot in the defense started around the time we beat Real and United last season.

We were all hoping that it was essentially a blip but it obviously goes much deeper than that. Screw attacking, expansive football and get back to keeping clean sheets and scraping wins for the next few weeks so that we can build a bit of confidence again.

Yea, fair enough. But there were situations near the end of the game where we had no player within 70 yards of the stoke goal, with these tactics you invite trouble onto yourself. Nobody is asking for expansive football, just defend higher up the pitch.

• Advertisement

This just in, you need to make your opinions based on the game - not on some vague generalisation about Liverpool's form at the moment.

They played well today with the players at their disposal, were denied a clear penalty, conceded a corner that should have been a goal kick (perhaps that evens out the free though) and then Kuyt was so unfortunate to hit the post.

Great, generic post that isn't actually based on anything the post you quoted said though.

Excellent.

Sometimes you get the luck, sometimes you don't. Remember the goal that never was against Chelsea in 05? Just an example. Gerrard has 'won' plenty of penalties when he shouldn't have with the old starfish jump. Today they didn't get one, althought why Lucas was already going down before the contact is beyond me....and probably the reason he didn't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Actually, you have it arseways. When Arsenal's best 3 are out they usually play lovely football and miss sitter after sitter until they concede their obligatory soft goal, at which point the team will undergo their weekly nervous breakdown and piss away the match. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I agree here, what we really lacked against Reading was heart. We had plenty of heart today, just no football, but as Gilesy would say, "Honesty of effort Bill", that has to come first. If the team can finally start battling for each other, the football will follow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm not a Liverpool fan but if I was your posts would certainly irritate me. Have you got a decent point to make about the game and not about how fans must feel?

I feel for the liverpool fans atm as not even the things expected by fans of other teams arent going smoothly. I only felt the need to explain this because someone quoted me and suggested that i was suggesting Liverpool fans were saying Stoke wouldent score. Hell even if they had been saying that i wouldent blame them, stoke didnt look like scoring.

Why would a towel to dry the ball ever be outlawed

I cant remember when exactly but I remember players being stopped using a towel in the past.

I actually remember Riise not being allowed use the towel when he used to take long throws.

Battled well? It's about all they can do because once you take out Torres and Gerrard you're left with a group on average cloggers that wouldn't look out of place in a Stoke shirt. Too many average players signed by Benitez.

Does the team Stoke, and especially Stoke at the Britannia, mean anything to you?

We are missing Gerrard, Torres, Benayoun, Riera and Agger.

You have to deal with the physical side before you do anything when playing at Stoke and the team did that well today for the most part.

Honestly all this "***** lowly Stoke" bull is a bit OTT and completely goes against the fact the other big 4 sides have struggled here on a regular basis with full teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

2 months ago I was laughing about how bad we were cos I thought they would turn it around and we would be comfortably in the top 5 after xmas.

Oh how thought made a fool of me.

Its actually got to the stage where I'm not sure I want to watch them play because we're so atrocious and its borderline depressing watching your team lose its confidence and sink deeper into the abyss

Not a great performance but not too displeased with a point.

Stoke are decent enough at home and a draw isnt bad once we follow it up with 3 v Spurs.

No luck at all today. It supposed to even out I'm told, still waiting..

Sometimes you get the luck, sometimes you don't. Remember the goal that never was against Chelsea in 05? Just an example. Gerrard has 'won' plenty of penalties when he shouldn't have with the old starfish jump. Today they didn't get one, althought why Lucas was already going down before the contact is beyond me....and probably the reason he didn't get it.

Look at what you have to put up with!

Christ just waiting for someone to tell Masch and Maxi now that they can hardly complain after Maradona's Hand of God 40+ years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Not a great performance but not too displeased with a point.

do you not want us to finish 4th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Looking at the result outside of our current situation, a draw away against Stoke is not a bad result. I'm just disappointed that once again the team has conceded very late in the game, the amount of times this has happened this season is just bewildering. I can't understand how it has happened so many times.

Didn't care for the ref's performance at all, and it ain't the first time he's had a poor performance in a Liverpool game.

• Advertisement

Does the team Stoke, and especially Stoke at the Britannia, mean anything to you?

We are missing Gerrard, Torres, Benayoun, Riera and Agger.

You have to deal with the physical side before you do anything when playing at Stoke and the team did that well today for the most part.

But that's all they did, that's all they can do because there is such a lack of skill or creativity within the squad. Liverpool can match Stoke physically alright but as a team they have nothing else to offer, Benitez is in danger of turning them into another Blackburn with his signings. Where's the creativity or magic supposed to come from in the team without Gerrard or Torres?

But that's all they did, that's all they can do because there is such a lack of skill or creativity within the squad. Liverpool can match Stoke physically alright but as a team they have nothing else to offer, Benitez is in danger of turning them into another Blackburn with his signings. Where's the creativity or magic supposed to come from in the team without Gerrard or Torres?

Look.

Performances like today's are not the reason we are in such dire straits.

The only correlation was a late equaliser.

do you not want us to finish 4th?

What I'm saying is the way we were playing I was nearly expecting a loss.

A win v Spurs and we are right back in the mix.

Stoke aint mugs at home and will take points off many teams

Look at what you have to put up with!

Christ just waiting for someone to tell Masch and Maxi now that they can hardly complain after Maradona's Hand of God 40+ years ago!

LOL. Stop trying to twist it to suit yourself. Don't know much about Maradona do you? 40 years ago he was 9. Does that make him the younges ever player at the World Cup?

LOL. Stop trying to twist it to suit yourself. Don't know much about Maradona do you? 40 years ago he was 9. Does that make him the younges ever player at the World Cup?

To suit myself? Puulll-ease. Bringing up the the Luis Garcia goal in 2005 as some kind of "get over it" tonic is twisting it my friend (by the way its a penalty and a red card if the goal is not given).

Regarding Maradona, for some reason I had 1966 in my head. England, Argies, World Cups etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I cant remember when exactly but I remember players being stopped using a towel in the past.

I actually remember Riise not being allowed use the towel when he used to take long throws.

I remember Riise being stopped, but I thought that was in a Champions League game, and the ref's reason was time wasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Just heard the result. Just goes from bad to worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Rafa: "The fans are amazing. If I decide to stay here it will be because of the fans. I will keep going. Sometimes you have bad moments and now is the time when we have to show character."

Obviously he's not going to resign, but I thought the "if" was a bit strange. Maybe just lost in translation or something.

Kess73 wrote: »
    I remember Riise being stopped, but I thought that was in a Champions League game, and the ref's reason was time wasting.

Maybe I'm making a mistake about it being stopped in general so, but when one of the sky commentators said the " controversial use of the towel" I though there must be some reason for the comment.

Anyway just a thing I have been thinking for a while does anyone think its time to get fabio aurelio back in at left back. He deserves his place on the field imo and I think he would be better used at left back with a left midfielder in front of him. He played a few great balls again today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Liverpool had heart today, but no guile in attack, or at least, not as much as they should have. It was a very defensive team selection and when Liverpool tried to attack, they were very good. Defensive mindset was the problem today, a tactical decision.

• Advertisement
Advertisement