Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rare/Old Scotch

Options
  • 16-01-2010 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

hi folks…anybody have an idea about collectors’ prices for old/rare scotch whisky? i have that pre ww2 bottle of vat 69 scotch here that grandpa brought from france during the war after it had been left behind by the brits when they fled the continent…wondering if that might be worth anything to a collector…? i guess unless it’s worth real money i’ll just drink it myself…

any info welcome...cheers

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

Offer 20euros

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

hi folks…anybody have an idea about collectors’ prices for old/rare scotch whisky? i have that pre ww2 bottle of vat 69 scotch here that grandpa brought from france during the war after it had been left behind by the brits when they fled the continent…wondering if that might be worth anything to a collector…? i guess unless it’s worth real money i’ll just drink it myself…

any info welcome...cheers

It might have some value, but it's the single malts that are worth the big money, I'm afraid. Maybe because there's a story behind this one there may be a little extra on the value, but sometimes you can get some really old blends for the same price as the current crop.

PS, looking at the auction archives in whiskyauction.com, some of the old blends do make between 100 and 200 euro. The VAT 69s that I've seen there so far are much more modern than yours, so it's hard to get a price. Those ones are going for around 30 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

thanks for the thoughts and info so far…yeah, well, i wish grandpa had brought a box of single malts instead…but what can you do…he did bring a couple of boxes of nice grand cru reds though, none of which have survived to this day unfortunately, just the empty wooden boxes which are sort of cool too…seems he wasn’t a whisky drinker after all…

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

I think Brockagh has covered it all really ... however any chance of posting a picture up. It would just be interesting to see.

I think it was in Band of Brothers that one of the charachters was always looking for Vat 69. Obviously the drink of choice for WWII soldiers ;-)

• Advertisement

I think Brockagh has covered it all really ... however any chance of posting a picture up. It would just be interesting to see.

I think it was in Band of Brothers that one of the charachters was always looking for Vat 69. Obviously the drink of choice for WWII soldiers ;-)

yeah, guess i’ll just drink it myself and remember the fallen or something…here’s a pic of the bottle…just taken…hope the attachment makes it through...
    you mentioned the “drink of choice for wwii soldiers”…as grandpa wrote in his memoires that with frontline units alcohol was the currency of choice during the war…and how many pilots used to fly drunk…and for a bottle or two of cognac or so they would fly you anywhere…grandpa served as a staff officer in the german airforce in france, germany and russia and ran the supply side for many units there so had perfect access to the stuff…luckily he brought some of it home…

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

You might get more money from a whiskey shop or off licence for those - the value I'd imagine is in the actual bottle rather than the whiskey for drinking purposes.

So you might a better offer if you bring it along to the celtic whiskey shop or any pub that has a lot of "ye olden days" decorations. I'd say they'd probably pay a few quid to stick it up on the shelf and tell the punters that it's WWII era whiskey brought back by a real Tommy (or GI or Legionnaire or whatever). Then, if some rich tourist comes in and asks about it, they can open it up and charge €50 a glass.

You might get more money from a whiskey shop or off licence for those - the value I'd imagine is in the actual bottle rather than the whiskey for drinking purposes.

So you might a better offer if you bring it along to the celtic whiskey shop or any pub that has a lot of "ye olden days" decorations. I'd say they'd probably pay a few quid to stick it up on the shelf and tell the punters that it's WWII era whiskey brought back by a real Tommy (or GI or Legionnaire or whatever). Then, if some rich tourist comes in and asks about it, they can open it up and charge €50 a glass.

interesting idea...might check it out...

Definately worth checking out but just don't get your hopes up too much. As already mentioned Blends have never really taken off in the collectors market and can be hard to sell for big money. However you can always get lucky.

Contact the Celtic Whiskey Shop

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Actually, I was down with a mate the other day and he showed me a bottle of Whiskey that he bought about 10 years ago as an investment.

Was shocked to see how much it's worth now.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Actually, I was down with a mate the other day and he showed me a bottle of Whiskey that he bought about 10 years ago as an investment.

nice, that's of course some rare and special stuff to begin with...always thought middleton was a tad overpriced...which is cool if you own a rare and old one of course...

Yeah, "overpriced" is always good if you own the thing that's overpriced! :D

I've a few of these Midletons. I have the 1973, 25, 26 and 30. I would like to be albe to sell them for such prices, but only retailers can get that, really.

The old VAT 69 does look interesting. It's a well-known brand, which might be in its favour. However, I don't think the Celtic Whiskey Shop sells much of this kind of stuff. They sell newer Scotches, sure enough, but the collectors' market they'd sell to would be mostly Irish whiskey collectors.

The Whisky Exchange might be the one to ask, or there is a valuations page in Whisky Magazine. You could write to the expert there - John Rose

http://www.whiskymag.com/magazine/author/john_rose.html

Brockagh wrote: »
    I've a few of these Midletons. I have the 1973, 25, 26 and 30. I would like to be albe to sell them for such prices, but only retailers can get that, really.

The old VAT 69 does look interesting. It's a well-known brand, which might be in its favour. However, I don't think the Celtic Whiskey Shop sells much of this kind of stuff. They sell newer Scotches, sure enough, but the collectors' market they'd sell to would be mostly Irish whiskey collectors.

The Whisky Exchange might be the one to ask, or there is a valuations page in Whisky Magazine. You could write to the expert there - John Rose

http://www.whiskymag.com/magazine/author/john_rose.html

interesting, cheers

Can you give your friend a word of warning.

Unfortunately this bottle is not worth anything like that and unfortunately your friend will never realise that price as no one will ever pay that amount for it.

Most whiskey enthusiasts and collectors know what these originally retailed for.

Originally IR£300 and were still retailing at €380Euro up to 3 years ago if you knew where to look. They then went up to €600-650. About 12months ago Irish Distillers decided to turn them into super premium bottles and priced this particular bottle at €1500. This is a totally aspirational price and I reckon more for the wow factor and a way of making normal Midleton look cheap :rolleyes:

So tell your friend not to get too carried away with that price or he may be dissappointed. He probably be lucky to get 600Euro on ebayif that. ANd I would imagine it would be a similar offer from the Celtic WHiskey Shop.

I reckon 700Euro would be an excellent price for this and that is what he should be aiming for. Still not a bad return ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Originally IR£300 and were still retailing at €380Euro up to 3 years ago if you knew where to look. They then went up to €600-650. About 12months ago Irish Distillers decided to turn them into super premium bottles and priced this particular bottle at €1500. This is a totally aspirational price and I reckon more for the wow factor and a way of making normal Midleton look cheap :rolleyes:

The biggest discrepancy is the one they sell for 4 grand, which is available for more or less half that on the whiskey exchange!

I was in there a while ago and they were talking about the Midleton single cask that was selling for €200 last year and is now "selling" for €400. I asked them if they wanted to buy a bottle of me for €400, to which they politely declined.

The biggest discrepancy is the one they sell for 4 grand, which is available for more or less half that on the whiskey exchange!

I was in there a while ago and they were talking about the Midleton single cask that was selling for €200 last year and is now "selling" for €400. I asked them if they wanted to buy a bottle of me for €400, to which they politely declined.

Well, they have to pay VAt etc, so they'd be making a loss if they bought it from you and sold it for €400.

The blend from last year is better than the pure pot still from this year, in my opinion.

Why would a business buy something off you for the sale price? How are they supposed to make money on it?

Well, they have to pay VAt etc, so they'd be making a loss if they bought it from you and sold it for €400.
    Why would a business buy something off you for the sale price? How are they supposed to make money on it?

:)

Don't worry, I wasn't really going to sell them my single casks.
    The blend from last year is better than the pure pot still from this year, in my opinion.

They seem to have dropped the price by 20 quid, presumably because it is not selling as well.

:)

They seem to have dropped the price by 20 quid, presumably because it is not selling as well.

They said it was going to be 200Euro but in the end the release price was dropped to €180.

However once they have sold a fair majority of hte allocation it will go up to 200Euro.

• Advertisement
Advertisement