Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SATA via USB

Options
  • 16-01-2010 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

hi all,

think this query will be best answered here. (mod; move if not)

bit of background. I have a WD digital NAS, and following a power failure have had issues, (thats another story)

anyway I need to get access to the data on the drive, so I have stripped it out of the NAS case, and connected the drive via a SATA/usb kit.

I have used this same methodoly with IDE drives before with no issue.

However with the SATA drive, all though the PC see the drive, installs drivers and it is visable the in the disk manager, I cannot see it in the explorer view.

Im sure Im missing something simple, any thoughts?

Dirve : 750 GB WD7500AAKS

Thanks

R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

WD world edition NAS use the ext3 (linux) filesystem...

I normally use the free tool ext2fsd to connect to ext3 drives safely in read only mode from windows xp, but it doesn't play well with windows 7 I'm afraid.

i'd recommend you download Ubuntu, burn it to a cd and try connecting to the drive that way.

check this out also

hope this helps, good luck getting your ones and zeros back.

Advertisement