Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters courses in GMIT

• 16-01-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭

I am trying to find out a bit of information regarding one of the courses in GMIT. It is the MSc. in Environmental Systems. I read the outline of the course online and seem fairly impressed with the content.

I would like to find out if the course is worth doing, workload involved, and whether there are real job prospects at the end of it.

Any information would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Il try get information for you - its run by the department I am studying in!!! Should have some info Monday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Hurler85

Thanks very much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Another good way would be to contact the head of the department or the course coordinator. This information should be in the prospectus.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 solarchick

i was interested in doing this masters aswell, i know somebody who is currently doing it and he really likes it, he said there are some maths sujects in it that are a bit tricky but other that that its all good. have you applied for it? i have. i would say the demand will be big this year and it will be hard to get. what did you do your undergrad degree in?

Got my degree in construction management in GMIT two years ago. I know two fellas in the class this year but havent been talking to them much. I have applied for it alright, dont know how tough itss going to be to get into it. I imagine its going to be done on an interview basis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

Its a good course alright, there is a heavy workload which at first makes you feel like you are just doing projects for the sake of getting them done and not to your best ability, but it does helps in dealing with the pressures due to the deadlines and I have certainly learned a hell of a lot. There is a mixture of subjects ranging from general environmental issues to sustainable construction and LCA. If you choose the best suited subjects for yourself you will get a lot out of it.

The organisation of the course was a bit all over the place but that is to be expected as it was the first year running it, next year should be better. The maths side of it was quite hard, the subject energy systems had too much of a workload, it was the physics and the practical side of all energy systems from wind turbines to diesel engines. For people who had not done physics before it was a nightmare.

Its hard to know about job prospects as I am still doing my Disertation/Thesis so I have been concentrating on that instead of looking for work. Expect them to reply to you late enough as the lecturers are on a work to rule at the moment so will only work paid hours which is understandable. If ye have any other questions jus ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 solarchick

iv just been offered a place on this masters..not sure whether to take it or not as i am currently working a 6month contract, has anybody else been offered a place and do ye know what yer gonna do? im not sure is it really worth doing as its a lot of money. does a masters really increase yor chances of a job does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GmitStudent

@encyclopedia

Three years later and the organisation is still a bit all over the place but otherwise I agree to your statement. Anyhow, everyone in our course passed their exams, I got told.

Of some stupied reasons no exam results are released until we hand in our thesis in September. Very annoying - as we had exams in January and May and you really would like to know your GPA for motivational reasons and you will need it when applying for jobs. I find their is no transparency in the awarding process when you do not even get a preliminary result after the exams.

Overall, I enjoyed the time and the lecturers are all very friendly and approachable.
    The mandatory modules are 'outside the box'-stuff, my personal preference

@ARGINITE
    Course Coordinator ? -I wish their was!
    Regarding, getting an email back from the head of the department or secretary - Please let me know when that will happen. . . .

Its two and a half years since I posted originally, completed the course and am very happy with the outcome. 75% of the lads in the class have secured employment or gone on to further study (some of whom have gone to the UK) which is decent enough in these tough time considering we only finished fully at the end of September.

The course is very good in one way that you can tailor the course to what you are interested in, although some people might find this a little vague for a masters course.

Advertisement