Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reattaching F type connector on broadband cable

• 16-01-2010 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I am with Digiweb on their metro service. There was abit of an accident where a kid was playing in my living room and pulled the F type connector off the end of the cable that goes into the modem.

Reattaching doesn’t look so simple, it was put on by a compression tool and the connecter is a PCT-TRS-6 RG6 like this :

http://www.a1components.com/itemdisplayn.aspx?item=12400

My question is should I attempt reattaching myself or get someone from Digiweb to do it? (I imagine the call out charge would be massive)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,590 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

if you haven't got the tool you can't really do it properly. You could buy a screw on f type and do that yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

You'll be able to get an F type screw on in maplins.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/StoreLocator.aspx?cmd=viewstore&storeid=33

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭Barr

Thanks for that lads , would I loose any quality with the screw on types as opposed to the compressed connector? The broken one looks like good quality.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,590 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Barr wrote: »
    Thanks for that lads , would I loose any quality with the screw on types as opposed to the compressed connector? The broken one looks like good quality.

Not really, it'll be fine. Compression is better but doing one without a tool will be worse than a properly done screw on, if you get me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Peats also do them, as do many hardware shops or electrical wholesalers in Dublin and elsewhere. Maplin's prices for F connectors disgust me, I can get an F connector in a local electrical stockist for 10% the price of Maplin on Jervis St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I had to move my Metro cable, so did this. Getting the cable out of the existing connector was the trickiest part (involved drills for a finish; because I lacked the tools, and even a thin pliers wasn't enough to press in the back of the plug, without catching the cable). Once the plug was cleared, it was easy enough to strip the cable and re-attach the plug. Just make sure you have no shorts (the outer core, or its foil, touching the inner core), and that you've unplugged the radio (and not just the modem). I got a 2dB increase in signal level afterwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭Barr

Ok , Its looks straight forward enough so I'll give iy a go :) I went to B&Q and Woodies today and they didnt have the connection.

Looks like I'll have to go to Maplin afterall (dispite their rip off prices)

Advertisement