Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Way Radio - Will receive but not transmit

• 16-01-2010 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi All,

First time poster here.

I have a Kenwood TK-762HG installed in on the car. It's being powered directly from the wires of the 12v socket and is the only thing on the line. The problem I'm having is it will receive voice fine, but when I press the PTT button it will transmit but will not carry voice.

Any ideas?

Its not the fist mike either, as I've tested that and it works fine

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

have you tested the mic on another radio and does it work? its an unusual one personnally i wouldnt recommend running a radio of a 12v cigarette socket as its not a stable 12v, has this happened all of a sudden or is this a new radio which isnt being received by other radios also is there a red led or similar light when you press the ptt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭greydiamond

Well I bought it off ebay and got the seller to program the correct frequencies for my hand held radios. Mike works grand, theres a PA function on the radio so thats how I tested it. When I press the PTT button a red transmit light appears on the base and on the hand held a green light indicating receiving lights up. Most unusual. How would one normally wire a radio into a car? It might not have the power to transmit Im thinking

Well I bought it off ebay and got the seller to program the correct frequencies for my hand held radios. Mike works grand, theres a PA function on the radio so thats how I tested it. When I press the PTT button a red transmit light appears on the base and on the hand held a green light indicating receiving lights up. Most unusual. How would one normally wire a radio into a car? It might not have the power to transmit Im thinking

i dont think its a power issue generally always wire direct to battery with a fused cable, what im thinking is the handheld requires a ctcss tone to open its squelch from what you describe i imagine this to be the problem have you got a scanner you could use to see if you hear yourself on it, if you can hear yourself on the scanner ie audio working ok and not on your handheld but a green led then its a squelch issue which mean the radio requires programming with the correct ctcss tone

The handhelds are Icom IC-F22SR. Really good quality radio, have the manual so going to change around the CTCSS and see if I have any enjoy. I'll keep you up-dated

The handhelds are Icom IC-F22SR. Really good quality radio, have the manual so going to change around the CTCSS and see if I have any enjoy. I'll keep you up-dated

keep us updated id say its a simple ctcss issue an easy way to test is transmit on your mobile radio in the car and when the green led lights but no audio is received on your handheld press the moni button to open squelch and you should in theory hear yourself

• Advertisement

Just turned off squelch like you said and now it seams to work. No idea what the situation is with the CTCSS but just happy it works. Cheers for all your help, has been annoying me for months wondering why it wouldnt work.

Just turned off squelch like you said and now it seams to work. No idea what the situation is with the CTCSS but just happy it works. Cheers for all your help, has been annoying me for months wondering why it wouldnt work.

im not sure if thats a permanent fix for you its just a matter of matching the ctcss of one radio to another i found the manual for your icom handheld online it seems easy enough to change it, any further issues post up here and we will do our best to help

Advertisement