Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marketing, Innovation & Technology Hours Per Week

• 16-01-2010 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Could anyone tell me how many hours per week this course is in first year? Have it down as my first choice on my CAO for next year.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 DimestoreSaint

For semester one I *think* it's fourteen, but one of those hours is a tutorial that is every ssecond week. so it's 13hrs every other week.

AFAIK it's 12/13 in Semester 2.

Not much at all tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Im third year in this course now.

If you go to all your lectures it is around 15 -18 hours a week depending on how the lecturers are feeling.

However to do well in this course you need to put in extra hours as there is alot of assignments which require lots of research.

Over all, good course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 DimestoreSaint

Just make sure ya always get to Modern Technology! it's mighty exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Mau5

Sounds good!
    Cheers for the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Hey i am thinking of doing this course next September.

Could someone in the course please give me any information about the course they may have.

Like do you enjoy the course?
    Are the lectures/tutorials exciting and good?
    are the lectures approachable and good at their job?
    Do you spend a lot of time doing science "things" (sorry about the wording it's late and I'm tired!)?
    Do you spend a lot of time working with computers?

Sorry about all the questions and thanks for your help :),
    Sincerely DanDan

• Advertisement

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Hey i am thinking of doing this course next September.

Could someone in the course please give me any information about the course they may have.

Do you spend a lot of time doing science "things" (sorry about the wording it's late and I'm tired!)?

Sorry about all the questions and thanks for your help :),
    Sincerely DanDan

Hi DanDan,

Don't worry about all the questions - researching the courses your interested in is very important, I know a lot of people who are not happy in their courses because of a lack of research, inc my course.

I am now in my final year of the MINT course.

Just answering your questions:

Yes - I love this course, because it suits my interests; that said, a lot of people don't.

It doesn't matter what course you do, your always going to have good and bad lecturers. What makes a good lecture can be different things to different people. What I will say about DCU lecturers is they practical show how a lot of what you are learning can be applied.

Yes, all the lecturers I have had have no problem with students approaching them. You can also approach them for issues outside course work....within reason of course.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "science", I'm assuming you mean it in the context of coming from Leaving Cert. In which case you will have a limited exposure to science subject. A full list of subjects is availible here:

Time spend working on computers isn't really a concern for any students, virtually all courses will now have an exposure to computer work. The IT subjects thought in this course are meant to provide a grounding in certain areas. For example: web design, CAD, ECDL are all thought. However what is required to get the most out of this course is to have a real passion for new age technologies and the business world. This course primarly is a marketing degree, while there are modules that will help you with the technical side, most of what is thought is business orientated - however orientated in a way that involves technology.

If you are a techie person who wants to persue a business degree then this is the course. You need the right balance of these two.

Another thing I will say about this course is if you go with it and work hard you will be rewarded at the end. Companies like Facebook, twitter, Google, Microsoft, Acenture, P+G - are looking for graduates with the skills this course creates. I personally have a job with Google the month after I finish my last exam. Also I know a lot of students are applying for similar jobs.

I hope this has helped, feel free to ask more questions.

Hi DanDan,

Don't worry about all the questions - researching the courses your interested in is very important, I know a lot of people who are not happy in their courses because of a lack of research, inc my course.

Hi Douglashyde,

Thanks for the reply. :) By science I was referring to doing biotechnology and such subjects, is there much time dedicated to this. I know it's mainly introduced in second year, but basically I like science and business thats why I think this is the right course for me. Also I've always wondered how things like digital tv, mobiles etc. work.

Also how is the business side of the course thought? is it all based around readings ot is it thought more like leaving cert business (i.e learning things off) ?
    I was in TCD for 2 years doing a business degree but dropped out (not because i didnt like the course, is a long story! ) but I liked the way it was thought there as it was basd around doing readings and having to extract your information from the reading. Is it the same in DCU?

Again cheers for the help :D

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Hi Douglashyde,

Thanks for the reply. :) By science I was referring to doing biotechnology and such subjects, is there much time dedicated to this. I know it's mainly introduced in second year, but basically I like science and business thats why I think this is the right course for me. Also I've always wondered how things like digital tv, mobiles etc. work.

Also how is the business side of the course thought? is it all based around readings ot is it thought more like leaving cert business (i.e learning things off) ?
    I was in TCD for 2 years doing a business degree but dropped out (not because i didnt like the course, is a long story! ) but I liked the way it was thought there as it was basd around doing readings and having to extract your information from the reading. Is it the same in DCU?
    Again cheers for the help :D

There is a module called Biotechnology in second year - however this is just an introduction to the subject. Besides this subject the course doesn’t really have any other subject focused on life science. There is heavy learning in digital world and there are several modules focused on this, that said, you would be expected to be learning about these things in your own time aswell. But if your interest is in the area of marketing of progressive life sciences, then yes this course would be very suitable.

The business part of this course is very interesting and covers several different areas. These modules are very much thought in a traditional sense that requires research and readings. However as mentioned before, you are expected to be able to demonstrate your leanings in a practical situation.

There is a module called Biotechnology in second year - however this is just an introduction to the subject. Besides this subject the course doesn’t really have any other subject focused on life science. There is heavy learning in digital world and there are several modules focused on this, that said, you would be expected to be learning about these things in your own time aswell. But if your interest is in the area of marketing of progressive life sciences, then yes this course would be very suitable.

The business part of this course is very interesting and covers several different areas. These modules are very much thought in a traditional sense that requires research and readings. However as mentioned before, you are expected to be able to demonstrate your leanings in a practical situation.

Cool man all that is a great help thanks.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 totalclutz92

Hey guys, I know these posts are from a while back but I have some questions about the course. I was in dcu in September but my course wasn't for me so I pulled out and decided to take a gap year to figure out what I want. I've been looking into MInT as a possibility but I really want to do my research this time round! My questions are:

1. Are assignments primarily individual work or teamwork? Is the course mainly continuous assessment or is there more exam weight?
    2. What kind of person would you think is suited to this course?
    3. Would you say it is a marketing degree with the added extra of study into innovation and technology or do these extra specialties dilute the marketing aspect?
    4. What kind of jobs are available to graduates of this degree?

I'd really appreciate any input you have, @douglashyde I presume your finished now? I'd love to know how you used the degree and @dandan, if you decided on MInT and started this September, what are your thoughts on the course so far?

Thanks! :)

• Advertisement

Hey guys, I know these posts are from a while back but I have some questions about the course. I was in dcu in September but my course wasn't for me so I pulled out and decided to take a gap year to figure out what I want. I've been looking into MInT as a possibility but I really want to do my research this time round! My questions are:

1. Are assignments primarily individual work or teamwork? Is the course mainly continuous assessment or is there more exam weight?
    3. Would you say it is a marketing degree with the added extra of study into innovation and technology or do these extra specialties dilute the marketing aspect?

I'd really appreciate any input you have, @douglashyde I presume your finished now? I'd love to know how you used the degree and @dandan, if you decided on MInT and started this September, what are your thoughts on the course so far?

1. Hugely team work focused. esp. final year.
    2. From when I did the course, CA got greater each year. but things may have changed.
    3. Not purely marketing, alot of business subject in it such as accounting, economics etc. innovation is a bit of a buzz word these days and I don't think you could pin a particular course to it... except the module "Innovation" (if it's still there)
    4. Judging by my class (who are last to graduate) - quite a lot. Some in Google, LinkedIn, Accenture, A few advertising agencies, Oracle, IBM offer, ehh Setanta, a couple of master students in there too.

Hey sry I ended up doing CES :)

Thanks guys!

Thanks guys!

I have a mate who does MINT I could ask him the questions you asked or any other questions you have, you want me too? He or I wouldnt mind

aw that would be great if you wouldn't mind, thanks ;)

aw that would be great if you wouldn't mind, thanks ;)

Cool I'll get on to him over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CathyNiggs

hi I'm also looking into doing this course next year but I haven't done Business for my Leaving Cert, would this be a serious disadvantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grodge

CathyNiggs wrote: »
    hi I'm also looking into doing this course next year but I haven't done Business for my Leaving Cert, would this be a serious disadvantage?

No, you get a good, intense intro to marketing, economics, accounting in first two years. Everything else is not covered by LC curriculum.

Good course, lots of things you wont get in other marketing courses in Ireland. And the fact that its a sandwich course also differentiates it from other offerings (think: competitive advantage)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Stoner1888

grodge wrote: »
    No, you get a good, intense intro to marketing, economics, accounting in first two years. Everything else is not covered by LC curriculum.

Good course, lots of things you wont get in other marketing courses in Ireland. And the fact that its a sandwich course also differentiates it from other offerings (think: competitive advantage)

Very interesting thread here guys, and thanks for your time in posting your experiences as I too am interested in doing this course come September. My only issue is that I have previously done an Accounting and Finance course (not for me) and personally found Economics to be a nightmare.:mad: I was just wondering if it is an integral part of this course or how important is it? As it is the only thing putting me off. Also (sorry to be a pain) how did you find the year 3 work experience? I was looking for a somewhat practical course and this seems to fit the bill.

Thanks,
    Ciarán

Stoner1888 wrote: »
    Very interesting thread here guys, and thanks for your time in posting your experiences as I too am interested in doing this course come September. My only issue is that I have previously done an Accounting and Finance course (not for me) and personally found Economics to be a nightmare.:mad: I was just wondering if it is an integral part of this course or how important is it? As it is the only thing putting me off. Also (sorry to be a pain) how did you find the year 3 work experience? I was looking for a somewhat practical course and this seems to fit the bill.

Thanks,
    Ciarán

there is the current list of classes being thought

classes being taught

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 MissLinz

innovation is a bit of a buzz word these days and I don't think you could pin a particular course to it... except the module "Innovation" (if it's still there).

I'm in my final year doing MInT and to sum up the course it's firstly a marketing degree. Every year you learn the different aspects of marketing e.g. intro, B2B, e-marketing, etc. With a bit of add business basics intro. to economics and accounting.

The technology side doesn't mean you'll be working in the labs, even though in second year you do two modules in biotechnology. In first year you'll get to learn about digital TVs, how a car engine works, renewable energy, make your own webpage, etc. If anything 'technology' refers to glimpses of the different technology industries you might want to work in.

Could not agree more about innovation. It is a total buzz word in the business world! The basics of innovation is coming up with new ideas and implementing them. Each year you will do an idea generation/creativity type of module where you'll largely work as teams to develop new business products or services and learn about the different types of innovation theory. This year we are doing a module on Entrepreneurship (fingers crossed that if you do this course, you wont have the lecturer I do now).

I like this course because I think it really suits me but having said that I don't think I'll be pursuing a career in marketing when I finish in June. Best part about doing a course with DCU Business School (DCUBS) is the paid placement (INTRA).

MissLinz wrote: »
    Best part about doing a course with DCU Business School (DCUBS) is the paid placement (INTRA).

What company did you INTRA with?

Do you have and advice on who to avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MissLinz

I was with Allianz. They're a good company to work for cause they take on loads of DCU students doing MInT and Business Studies and other students from Limerick so it was a great mix of students. Only negative was that there was only one place in the marketing department so a lot of people weren't happy with their work placement having nothing to do with their degree.

Luckily I was working in a department which carried out market research which is somewhat relevant to the degree.

My advise is if you have a specific company or industry you want to work for, only apply to them. DCU helps you apply for the jobs so it's a case of holding off till the companies you want come up. People from my course were also working for companies such as eBay, Microsoft and Johnson & Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gab_97

Im quite late with this, but I was wondering about the mint course. I'm currently in my leaving cert year and so far I'll be putting this first on my cao form.

Is this course just pure marketing? It's the technology side of things that really interest me.

What are job prospects like? Do you have a high employability rate when you complete the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Jamies15

Hi, I'm just wondering if you get taught the very basics of technology in this course because I really don't know anything about technology? The whole course does interest me but I'm wondering if I'm barking up the wrong tree if I just won't be able to understand the technology aspect?

Advertisement