Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need original packaging when returning faulty goods?

Options
  • 16-01-2010 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

Ok, long story short, I tried to return a pair of childrens slippers that were bought in Debenhams for Christmas. They're literally falling off the childs feet, burst seams pretty much at every point.
    I was told they'd have to be accompanied by the original packaging aswell as the receipt (which I have) to be able to be replaced.
    Was in a bit of a hurry and a little unsure so I just said I'd get back to them on it.
    Couldn't see anything in the stickies or the links that specifically mentioned returning with original packaging when faulty, so thought I'd ask.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I would have thought that the original packaging thing applies when the business are refunding or replacing resaleable goods. I cant see how it can apply in your case, as the goods are clearly faulty and you have your proof of purchase. I would be going back in and restating my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I know if you're returning stuff you just don't want (in the stores that allow you to at least, M+S etc allow you to) they have to be unused, tags still attached.
    That's probably what the girl was thinking of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Yeah, you shouldn't need the packaging for a faulty item. Some stores do insist on it (for some bizarre reason), but it's not required. Go back again, see if you can speak to a manager if you get nowhere. Make sure they understand this isn't a 'change of mind' return.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If the goods are faulty, then I can't see the need for the original packaging. The receipt is all you need. If Debenhams insist, just remind that the goods are faulty and you are legally entitled to a replacement/refund or repair. Packaging doesn't matter.

If however, you were returning the goods just because you had a change of mind, then the shop is entitled to ask for the goods back in the condition you purchased them.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Just had a brainwave. Tell them that when they hand you the replacement pair, they can have the packaging from those ones. Problem solved. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Cheers lads, pretty much confirmed my thinking.

It's def a faulty good, tbh I'll be happy just getting a pair that aren't going to fall apart, the young one still said I'd need the packaging.

Anyway, thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Nevore wrote: »
    Cheers lads, pretty much confirmed my thinking.

It's def a faulty good, tbh I'll be happy just getting a pair that aren't going to fall apart, the young one still said I'd need the packaging.

Anyway, thanks again!
    go over her head and ask for manager or chack if you can get a number for their head office and ask them. you do not need to return any packaging as you did not buy packaging you bought slippers which turned out to be faulty and you are entitled to repair replacement or refund!

Advertisement