Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After effects of the snow and ice

Options
  • 16-01-2010 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭

Whilst out this morning on local roads I noticed how they've visibly suffered from the recent cold spell. The edges of the roads in places have collapsed and pot holes have opened up all over the place, some quite sizeable. Tarmac in places has bulged up and become almost spongey as a result I guess of the freeze / thaw. I heard on the news too that part of the Military road in Wicklow had collapsed. I won't be travelling to Arklow today as access is closed off due to flooding and I guess flooding will be impact other areas too...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

some very bad potholes around Waterford. Council were out my way this morning repairing them but I can't see the repairs lasting too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Will be a lot of long term damage done and as you say a lot of the patching won't survive long either

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The one time I was out, the main roads were potholed badly even then.

The cost of this weather is buildling up now..

NB still, there will be more work/jobs?

An ill wind as they say...;)
    S

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

The missus's prize palm tree has developed quite a droop, not looking good for it TBH, I also notice most of the younger shoot on our grisilinia hedge are turning black, older growth seem OK so its likley to be a temporary setback there, I'd imagine that more symptoms of frost damage are going to show up over the next while.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

On a lighter note, it may have been posted here already but that lad who slipped on national TV seems to have become a celeb! If of course he was just a random person, you'd have to suspect RTE stuntman given that he has not been identified...

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/stars-identity-slips-through-the-cracks-2017546.html

But oh! It has made me so deeply grateful for milder air; to walk slowly without being in pain from the cold..

To be outside with the dogs without wearing so many layers I can hardly move..

And for water flowing freely ...

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

I was out on my bike today the roads are in bits grit, pot holes that you could hide in I all most hit the deck once not fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

No real after affects apart from one burst pipe outside.

However, there is still some snow around here in the ditches, saw a 1.5ft drift today up the fields about 250m asl.
    I thought it would all be gone by now.

Min wrote: »
    No real after affects apart from one burst pipe outside.

However, there is still some snow around here in the ditches, saw a 1.5ft drift today up the fields about 250m asl.
    I thought it would all be gone by now.
    Drifts can last ages.They're on the ditches in the hills up this way too.
    I remember here at sealevel the jan '82 drifts hung around for 3 weeks and many rainy days after the snow, gradually shrinking down from their original over 10 feet to inches and then gone.
    That winter had no more cold spells though.

• Advertisement

On the island, there was one patch of snow that never used to clear until there was no danger of more. The locals used to watch it and they were never wrong.

Just a few specks atop the mountains here

So much grit on the roads still; the road sweeper men in Town were out in force clearing grit from pavements. LIDL car park is barely fit to push a trolley for the grit.

Only one - once off the side roads up here which are in a terrible state - as they were before the snow - only one bad stretch of road.

It was so good to be out and to catch up with people and stock cupboards again.
    Drifts can last ages.They're on the ditches in the hills up this way too.
    I remember here at sealevel the jan '82 drifts hung around for 3 weeks and many rainy days after the snow, gradually shrinking down from their original over 10 feet to inches and then gone.
    That winter had no more cold spells though.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

nilhg wrote: »
    The missus's prize palm tree has developed quite a droop, not looking good for it TBH, I also notice most of the younger shoot on our grisilinia hedge are turning black, older growth seem OK so its likley to be a temporary setback there, I'd imagine that more symptoms of frost damage are going to show up over the next while.

All of our plants in the pots outside have been frozen permanently for over 3 weeks.Some of them only completely defrosted last friday. Our poor plants now resemble defrosted lettuce,you know the bit that sticks and freezes to the back of the fridge. thankfully that was all the damage we had.

Advertisement