Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nitrox compressor conversion

• 16-01-2010 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

anyone changed an older dive compressor to pump 40% nitrox using constant flow filling? just wondering if the cylinders should be striped along with the oil change.

ta

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Which cylinders?? The banks?
    I'd assume they would... you'll have to change all your o-rings too so if your 02 cleaning your banks all your valves are gonna have to be done too......

Sounds dodgy, you could be playing with fire there, literally. I'd contact the manufacturer of the compressor or someone who services them, just thinking about it, every seal within the compressor would have to be changed if it is not designed to be 02 compatible........

Seek professional help is my advice......

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lou f

so i'll take it you have no experience in this matter.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

lou f wrote: »
    so i'll take it you have no experience in this matter.

thanks

Maybe not, but enough to know that you don't compress premixed EANx 40 with a compressor that's been used for air......... but what do I know.......Knock yourself out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭denismc

Hi,
    A friend of mine has a system like this, its not as crazy as it sounds, you mix the O2 with the air before it enters the compressor. I am not sure though what the highest % he blends to but for nitrox of 30-35% i couldn't see huge problems.
    Its described in the "oxygen hackers handbook" by Vince Harlow, google it.
    If you don't want to buy the book go onto wwwtechnicaldiving.ie and enquire there, plenty of people should be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lou f

have it, read it. it's very good. got a contact for a guy whos done this to loads of compressors and is on the cft tc so it'll all be liget.

ta

• Advertisement
Advertisement