Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Beruthiel] Banned from Rugby Forum.

Options
  • 16-01-2010 3:50pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭

"Shut up and get out if your going to be munster hating throughout this game."

The above comment earned me an infraction for "back seat modding".

It was then decided since I had gone off topic on two occasions that would be banned for 7 days.

No.1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Des
    Stop back seat modding.

"Dont see how im back seat modding.
    Just stating the way alot of munster fans on this forum feel regarding his/her views. "

I replied to Des stating I did not think it was backseat modding (at this point I had not seen the infraction)

No.2
    Originally Posted by Size=everything
    You are aware the commentators are saying the exact same as me?

Treviso's defense is extremely poor. They're missing tackles everywhere and their positioning is awful. No organization nothing.

"The commentators havent been on these forums coming out with the stuff you have."

Granted I had missed a warning in the thread to stay on topic (directed at everyone) I feel this ban is harsh.

The two occasions that I was off topic were in direct response to posts addressed at me. (The first even being before the warning)
    Also i would argue this kind of thread ( live match ) leads to lots of posts in a short amount of time. I admit I did not have my full attention on every post in the forum and missed a few things going on (mainly the warning and the infraction recieved.) These are the reasons I feel a 7 day ban was not warranted.

Also I would put forward I have never as much as been infracted previously in this forum. My past record on this forum I feel should have been taken into account when the decision was being taken to ban me.

I have contaced Des by PM and was unable to resolve this.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

castie,
    Please read this with regards to the dispute resolution process.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

My apoligies

No worries.

Id like to activate this now as I have contacted the CMod and they declined to remove the ban.

Just wondering if there is any update on this as Im into Day 4 of the ban now.

• Advertisement

I have spoken to a fellow Admin who knows more about that forum than I do.
    I have been informed that your ban stands and as a Mod more is expected of you and you should know how to behave in a forum.
    I agree.

So the ruling here is the ban isnt harsh because Im a mod?

As a mod, you are expected to abide by the rules of this site and more importantly, have manners.
    We expect more from Mods than we do from registered users.
    As a Mod yourself, you know that already.

Telling someone to shut up is unacceptable.
    Please refer yourself to the Mod Conduct thread set up by Dav some months back.

But that wasnt the basis for the ban though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

castie wrote: »
    But that wasnt the basis for the ban though.

Would you like me to unban you, then re-ban you, issue a new ban notification, because I will if you want me to :confused:

• Advertisement

Beruthiel,

My ban was for the off topic posts, not for the shut up comment.
    I am appealing against the ban and not the infraction.

Id also like to point on this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055806397

Stating by an admin that moderators on forums that they do not moderate are regular users. Goes against what is being said here to me also.

Des wrote: »
    Would you like me to unban you, then re-ban you, issue a new ban notification, because I will if you want me to :confused:

What kind of attitude is that?

Des you didnt ban me for that offense so why would you now?
    Seems right now that you just want to ban me and dont care what the reason is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hi castie. I'm only covering back through the pages to make sure things haven't been missed since the site got hacked.

Try to forgive me for skipping through the label on the ban - I address that later.

This:
    "Shut up and get out if your going to be munster hating throughout this game."
    isn't helpful. It's something that deserves a penalty. Now where I moderate I'd be more inclined to hand out an infraction for something like that but given that general practice on the rugby forum is to give a ban for comments like that, then the mods are being entirely consistent with what they've been doing. I've seen other people take a hit for similar comments on the rugby forum and where you see a comment that you reckon is over the line, report it, don't rise to it. As a moderator (as it happens) you're familiar with people who do that and take a single flaming remark and reply in kind, turning something that a moderator could sort with an infraction into a fight and a mess.

The reason I'm ignoring the label on the ban is that the penalty is fair and justified regardless of the headline tag. But having said that, it's not your role on the rugby forum to tell other posters that they can't post so it was also backseat modding. It's not fair of you to accuse Des of taking any opportunity to ban you - the penalty is the same one that other people get for the same thing. The other solution would have been for the moderator to unban you and reban you, which was said above, and which would have been silly. I understand you disagree with it but it's the same penalty given to everyone else who gets personal with other posters on the rugby forum so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

Short version: the penalty is justified and stands.

I realise this is a bit late, apologies for that, I'm pleading the site being taken down and the extra threads since meaning that yours was missed until I had free time tonight to check back a few pages for any that weren't concluded. Either way, letting you know.My suggestion for the future? Report it. Let the mods do their job. Don't reply to a incendiary post with another incendiary post. It's the same advice we give to all the members.

Advertisement