Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters Funding

Options
  • 16-01-2010 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I have compiled a list of funding options:

* Maitenance grant: 1.8k adjacent 3.6k non-adjacent (means tested)

* Student Assistance Fund: varies from college to college (means tested)

* Millennium Partnership Fund: ~500€ (means tested - proof of purchases necessary), will probably be cut in academic year 2010

* Scholarships: Various funding bodies - depends on specific course.

* Graduate Skills: Reduces Fee payable - Needs to be IT related field

I would like to know if anybody could fill in any info that is missing from this list. For instance - that Graduate Skills thing or the possibility of Government Student Loans. Putting in some ball-park figures would also be good.

For the record - I've applied for an MSc in Mathematical Modelling at UL. I received a full maintenance grant during my Undergraduate so I should receive it for my Postgraduate. That's fees and a good bit of rent taken care of. Scholarships down there are usually reserved for research postgrads - my course is taught.

Are there any other obvious avenues of funding for an individual from low income family?

If there are any state/private scholarships based on academic excellence in Mathematics/Mathematical Physics I would be interested to hear of them. Especially if there are ones specific to UL.

Thank you for reading.

EDIT: As new information is given, I will add it to this post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

The "graduate skills thing" reduces the fee payable for a IT related programme to €2000 in 2009-2010. So it is not direct funding to the student, but makes the fee a great deal more manageable and means that all of the fee can be paid by a local authority grant.

http://www.hea.ie/en/skills+funding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 cathalcummins

Cheers, I find that HEA site a maze at times!

I have just discovered that I may be eligible for a bit of money from the college (a kind of scholarship kind of thing). Would I need to declare this as reckonable income or a Postgraduate Research Grant (it's a taught masters) on the "Student Grant Application Form" from DCC?

If so, would the value of this (assuming that <10,000 say) jeopardise my grant/fees etc? I think I read somewhere that it doesn't matter so long as the grant doesn't go over 16,000.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Yeah that's right, once your scholarship from the college does not exceed 16000e per annum u still qualify for council grant and fees.

This might seem nosey but u posted so I'm gonna ask...what other funding do u possibly need!? Your fees are paid for, the grant is well over 3000 which is bound to cover your rent!? Student Millenium assistance is 500e as u say.....like I see you've nowhere mentioned getting a part time job.

I'm all for ppl using resources that's are available but there is a tipping poit where one needs to get up and earn some cash too! As a student u can pick up plenty of promotion work, leaflets whatever...

Thanks for the clarification, Roro, that's put things in perspective (and saved me about an hour on the phone)!

As for the nosiness. . . the fact that you are saying this to me, given that you don't know me, is just quite funny really.

I am not at all offended, because there are plenty of people who milk the system out there. Suffice to say - if you knew what my day job was, I'm fairly sure you would take back your "suggestions" directed at me in an instant.

;)

• Advertisement

I don't think I can edit my first post to fill in updated information. Is there a time limit on how long you leave a post until you are not allowed to edit it anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Tell me, tell me, tell me! I'm curious now lol

sorry I wanst trying to be mean or anyhing just I've
    met a few ppl in my 6 yes in college who just scramble to take every penny worth of assistance going and yet won't look for even 5 hours Part time work a week! If U work then good for you and I hope you qualify for all the dosh going :)

yeah once u have a few responses to ur op then u can no longer edit it!

I'm a volunteer teacher ~20hrs a week and a proper teacher for a few hours to keep a bit of money in my back pocket. Took the year out to do the community work and to do a bit of saving for said MSc - really looking forward to it.

My timetable has me teaching all over the city so most "regular" jobs aren't an option this year.

Regardless of my personal endevours - the fact that 5m€ got given to the UL maths dept(SFI) last year certainly removes any "guilt" from a couple grand being given out to people who put in the effort in their undergrad.

:)

Advertisement