Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton v Manchester City (Evening KO)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

The referee was absolutely 100% correct in giving the penalty, anyone that fails to see that is clearly nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

No it shouldn't, if it was a pull and the ref thought that the advantage was with the attacker then he did not have to stop play. The advantage that he got was that he made it into the box and then when he was pulled and gained no advantage it is a pen. Or at least that is how I would have called it.

Does that not suggest two separate offences? His hand never left Saha's shirt, no advantage then you bring the play back to point where offence occured first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

Esse85 wrote: »
    The referee was absolutely 100% correct in giving the penalty, anyone that fails to see that is clearly nuts.

I must be nuts then, no doubt it was a foul, I hate to see defenders pulling someones shirt but it clearly started outside the box so it should have been a free kick.

Jebus, City have been woeful tonight. Credit to Everton though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Does that not suggest two separate offences? His hand never left Saha's shirt, no advantage then you bring the play back to point where offence occured first?

sure that wouldn't suit the argument that it was a definite penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

So, if a player pulls away on anothers players shirt for a split second outside the box yet continues this for a number of seconds inside the box, does this mean it should not be a penalty?

Exactly. If it is a continuous action that started outside the box then of course it's a free kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Given was outstanding there with that save

What a save

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Robinho is a disgrace. I'd ship the fooker out for a loan spell at Scunthorpe.

Everton have been really, really good though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Exactly. If it is a continuous action that started outside the box then of course it's a free kick.

The linesman didn't flag until they were in the box, we can only assume he didn't see it until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Ohhh Cahill.

How has coleman been playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Great control there by mancini. Everton are very unlucky not to be up by 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

LOL at those predicting a title charge for City after the Blackburn game. Back to earth with a ump.

Liverpool for fourth, despite their scandalous form they're still better than City, Spurs or Villa tbh.

flahavaj wrote: »
    LOL at those predicting a title charge for City after the Blackburn game. Back to earth with a ump.

Liverpool for fourth, despite their scandalous form their still better than City, Spurs or Villa tbh.

We were never going to challenge for the title.

Missing half a team doesn't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

flahavaj wrote: »

Finally a challange for Mancini and he has been torn apart.

Fellani cheeky chap with the control poor Bellamy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

that skill from Fellaini was magic

Lol magic from Fellaini. That was quality.

I must be nuts then, no doubt it was a foul, I hate to see defenders pulling someones shirt but it clearly started outside the box so it should have been a free kick.
    See post 147

• Advertisement

The linesman didn't flag until they were in the box, we can only assume he didn't see it until then.

In fairness, he didn't flag until Richards let go of Saha's shirt IIRC.

Dont you understand that the ref played the advantage, the foul continued, a penalty was awarded and converted , therefore the ref played the advantage. I really cant see how anyone can fail to grasp this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I wonder if Mancini had started to think that this English football lark was going to be a walk in the park before today.
    Great stuff from Everton, pity they suffered so much earlier in the season.

Glazers Out!

We were never going to challenge for the title.

Missing half a team doesn't help either.

Ye're not allowed use that excuse anymore.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

In fairness, he didn't flag until Richards let go of Saha's shirt IIRC.

lines man is obliged under the rules of the game to wait and see what the referee does. In other words the lines man has to be absolutely certain that the referee hasn't seen it before he is allowed flag an offence. Daft rule, but it's written.

All in all, we can't know exactly why the referee awarded the penalty until we see the match report.

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Finally a challange for Mancini and he has been torn apart.

LOL

How quickly the knives come out. One away defeat in 5 games and suddenly he's an abject failure. Get a grip.

Lol magic from Fellaini. That was quality.

He's some player, fast becoming one of the best midfielders in the Prem and a bargain at 15 mill. Yet another masterstroke by Moyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Enjoyed that a lot.

Spurs and Liverpool both got a huge let off today credit to Everton they where fantastic and there full squad is very very good

• Advertisement

Dont you understand that the ref played the advantage, the foul continued, a penalty was awarded and converted , therefore the ref played the advantage. I really cant see how anyone can fail to grasp this.

Do you not understand that when a referee plays advantage but there is none then he brings it back to where the foul initiated from?

There weren't two seperate fouls, there was one, and it began outside the area. He blew up after there was no advantage so the play is brought back to where the foul was committed. Happens in every other part of the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

So happy we picked up a vital victory. City missing Ireland big time IMO. Difference for us today was instead of one or two players having a good game, everyone had a good game. Fellaini 10/10 for me. Heitinga's sweeper role is working wonders as well. Good to see Coleman getting a run out.

LOL

How quickly the knives come out. One away defeat in 5 games and suddenly he's an abject failure. Get a grip.

One decent team in 5 games and he was completly played off the park.

See post 147

Still doesn't make it a penalty.

Do you not understand that when a referee plays advantage but there is none then he brings it back to where the foul initiated from?

That is indeed the case that the referee has the authority to do so.

However you don't seem to understand the counter argument. If the referee played advantage and then another foul is commited, he is perfectly entitled to award the foul for the second instead of the first, because, wait for it... they gained an advantage!

That is indeed the case that the referee has the authority to do so.

However you don't seem to understand the counter argument. If the referee played advantage and then another foul is commited, he is perfectly entitled to award the foul for the second instead of the first, because, wait for it... they gained an advantage!

Where was this second foul? :confused:

Richards held his shirt from outside the box and didn't let go until the peno was given.

• Advertisement

Richards held his shirt from outside the box and didn't let go until the peno was given.

I'll wait until I've seen the replay before I can say it with certainty, but at the time I thought I saw two separate pulls at the shirt.

There weren't two seperate fouls, there was one, and it began outside the area. He blew up after there was no advantage so the play is brought back to where the foul was committed. Happens in every other part of the field.
    He played on to give Richards a chance to let go of the shirt, he didnt, therefore a penalty was given. If Richards had let go of the shirt before they entered the box and there was no advantage to Saha, then play would of been brought back and a free kick would of been given.

I repeat: So, if a player pulls away on anothers players shirt for a split second outside the box yet continues this for a number of seconds inside the box, does this mean it should not be a penalty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Good win, just a pity Lescott wasn't playing.

I'll wait until I've seen the replay before I can say it with certainty, but at the time I thought I saw two separate pulls at the shirt.

Fair enough, I'll look at it again myself.

He played on to give Richards a chance to let go of the shirt, he didnt, therefore a penalty was given. If Richards had let go of the shirt before they entered the box and there was no advantage to Saha, then play would of been brought back and a free kick would of been given.

So Richards held the shirt from outside the area and didn't let go? Therefore it was just the one long foul?
    I repeat: So, if a player pulls away on anothers players shirt for a split second outside the box yet continues this for a number of seconds inside the box, does this mean it should not be a penalty?

And I'll also repeat: No it's not a peno if it is a continuous foul.

If I slide tackle a guy outside the area and the momentum carries us both into it is that a peno as well? Even though the foul began outside the area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Everton have confirmed they are back with that performance. They looked good against Arsenal but I just wondered how letting that lead slip would affect them, clearly they took the positives out of that performance.

City I don't know what to say about them. Barry was poor today, but I'm wondering if it was Fellaini that was so immense he just made him look that bad today.

It will be interesting to see how City respond to this under their new manager. Aston Villa and their fans are the ones who will be most delighted by today's performances, all the teams in contention for that 4th spot dropping points today. A win tomorrow puts them level with City and Spurs.

Are you 100% positive there has to be a 2nd foul??

If thats the case then wouldn't it make sense for defenders to grab hold of attackers shirts at every opportunity outside the box and continuing it well into the penalty area knowing that the only punishment will be a free kick outside the box??

Reporter: What went wrong today?
    Macini: I think Everton played better than us... This is football.

Classic :D

If thats the case then wouldn't it make sense for defenders to grab hold of attackers shirts at every opportunity outside the box and continuing it well into the penalty area knowing that the only punishment will be a free kick outside the box??

It would make perfect sense yes, and you quite often see it when a winger cuts inside and wrong foots a full back. They grab hold immediately before the winger gets to the area.

disappointing on City's part but fair play to everton and the fans, well deserved result.

So Richards held the shirt from outside the area and didn't let go? Therefore it was just the one long foul?

And I'll also repeat: No it's not a peno if it is a continuous foul.

If I slide tackle a guy outside the area and the momentum carries us both into it is that a peno as well? Even though the foul began outside the area?
    I would of taught, now i could be wrong, thats its up to the discression of the referee to award a penalty or to bring it back for a free kick.

Im gonna complicate thing here now but bare with me!!

Say i was marking you in a game, and i started pulling your jersey in your own box, your team made a break upfield, you ran from your own box into mine, all the time i was still tugging your shirt never letting go and the ref is watching every move, and you finally get into my box and fall down as a result from me tugging your jersey, are you telling me its in the laws of the game that the referee should award the free back in your own penalty box where the foul commenced and not in my penalty box??

But that would just give away a free kick every time, probably better that they actually try and defend within the rules of the game.

I would of taught, now i could be wrong, thats its up to the discression of the referee to award a penalty or to bring it back for a free kick.

Im gonna complicate thing here now but bare with me!!

Say i was marking you in a game, and i started pulling your jersey in your own box, your team made a break upfield, you ran from your own box into mine, all the time i was still tugging your shirt never letting go and the ref is watching every move, and you finally get into my box and fall down as a result from me tugging your jersey, are you telling me its in the laws of the game that the referee should award the free back in your own penalty box where the foul commenced and not in my penalty box??

What ref would allow that to happen all they way up the pitch?

What ref would allow that to happen all they way up the pitch?

Mike Dean

It would make perfect sense yes, and you quite often see it when a winger cuts inside and wrong foots a full back. They grab hold immediately before the winger gets to the area.
    There's a big difference in what happens inside the box and what happens outside e.g refs are very inconsistent in that they would award a foul outside the box 99times out of 100, yet, if that same foul happened in the box, a penalty would not be awarded, even though in the laws of the game a foul is a foul be it inside or outside the box.

• Advertisement
Advertisement