Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton v Manchester City (Evening KO)

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Esse85 wrote: »
    I would of taught, now i could be wrong, thats its up to the discression of the referee to award a penalty or to bring it back for a free kick.

Im gonna complicate thing here now but bare with me!!

Say i was marking you in a game, and i started pulling your jersey in your own box, your team made a break upfield, you ran from your own box into mine, all the time i was still tugging your shirt never letting go and the ref is watching every move, and you finally get into my box and fall down as a result from me tugging your jersey, are you telling me its in the laws of the game that the referee should award the free back in your own penalty box where the foul commenced and not in my penalty box??

Lol you fecker, I wanna go to bed! :D

I still think it should go back to where the foul began. You case is very much the extreme and yes it could possibly be construed that way. However, the vast majority are short sharp incidents where advantage is given for a few seconds and if none occurs then the ball is brought back to where the foul began. In case it wasn't.

(I'd have swung an elbow at you by halfway btw! :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

What ref would allow that to happen all they way up the pitch?

:rolleyes:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lol you fecker, I wanna go to bed! :D

I still think it should go back to where the foul began. You case is very much the extreme and yes it could possibly be construed that way. However, the vast majority are short sharp incidents where advantage is given for a few seconds and if none occurs then the ball is brought back to where the foul began. In case it wasn't.

(I'd have swung an elbow at you by halfway btw! :pac:)
    Ha ha ha, we've both put up good arguments so im gonna wait and hear what the so called "experts" on BBC and Sky have to say.

Only at halfway, by god you have some patience!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Where was this second foul? :confused:

Richards held his shirt from outside the box and didn't let go until the peno was given.

It doesnt really matter to be honest. (although I also thought there were two seperate jersey holds)
    Its not a foul like a trip is, where the trip may have taken place outside the box but the player falls into it.......the foul took place outside AND inside the box, it may only have been spotted inside however.

It doesnt matter to be honest, City got played off the pitch from a very good looking Everton side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

101greatgoals have the replay up for anyone who's interested in the penalty incident.

Looking at it it seems we're both right. There were two distinct 'tugs' on the shirt but he never let's go of the material.

All that matters though is what the linesman saw, and the first angle sort of shows this. From that angle it definitely looks as if there were two separate pulls, one outside and one inside. Richard's hand is hidden behind the back in between the tugs so it looks like he has let go for a period.

Looking at it, the freekick is probably the technically correct decision, but frankly it's so easy to interpret either way so I wouldn't hold it against the ref for awarding the penalty.

Just goes to show how good Everton can be, when/if they get all their big players back, they'll be a serious threat to anyone they play.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Just goes to show how good Everton can be, when/if they get all their big players back, they'll be a serious threat to anyone they play.

Tbh there are big questions over whether the likes of Arteta and Yakubu would get back into the side if the currently fit can maintain the current level of performance. Saha, Cahill, Pienaar and Fellaini make a great little attacking diamond for the middle of the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Great stuff by Everton, shame Moyesy can't let the bitterness go away in his programme notes.
    "I found it hard to accept that a club that until recently had many similarities to Everton should suddenly start acting with no class."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/16/premier-league-everton-manchester-city

Great stuff by Everton, shame Moyesy can't let the bitterness go away in his programme notes.

tbh, the way City acted in public over the whole thing, I'd still hold a grudge myself. Hughes and Cook did not come out well from the Lescott saga.

• Advertisement

Piennar is a fantastic little player, im surprised he hasnt attracted attention from a champions league team in England/Spain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

delighted for Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

What odds would you recon i'd get on Everton finishing above Liverpool this season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

gafarrell wrote: »
    What odds would you recon i'd get on Everton finishing above Liverpool this season?

About as long as the odds are of your post being serious.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

flahavaj wrote: »
    About as long as the odds are of your post being serious.:pac:
    I think that may be too far gone aye. We blew it in the Derby when they were there for the taking. If we'd have gotten the result we deserved that day we'd only be 2 points behind them now. How and ever I do think we can do them at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

just seen the penalty incident there on goals on sunday - such a soft call. i'd be furious with a call like that vs United. The one given to Pompey against us was similar, but VIdic was possibly holding the guy down more - so it was a little more understandable, but I don't think Richards really impeaded Saha on his run. Very soft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

just seen the penalty incident there on goals on sunday - such a soft call. i'd be furious with a call like that vs United. The one given to Pompey against us was similar, but VIdic was possibly holding the guy down more - so it was a little more understandable, but I don't think Richards really impeaded Saha on his run. Very soft.

I am a City man and I can't excuse Micah pulling jerseys. I mean, they know going out on the pitch that pulling jerseys is a foul. If you can't defend without pulling at your man then you shouldn't be on the pitch. I know every defender nudges and thugs but not as blatent as what Micah did.

On the other hand, where does the foul begin? He started thugging the jersey from outside the box. Why not a free?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

I was in work during this game so I only caught the highlights. Looked like Everton had enough chances to make it 3 or 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

Just as an aside, why does city's away kit have the three United colours - red, white and black? I would've thought a club seemingly so averse to United to the point of serving blue ketchup in their cafeteria would be keen to avoid something like this.

Just as an aside, why does city's away kit have the three United colours - red, white and black? I would've thought a club seemingly so averse to United to the point of serving blue ketchup in their cafeteria would be keen to avoid something like this.

It's some kind of Centenary kit isn't it? i.e. those were the colours they were in the 4th round of the FA cup in 19-dickety-2 when they beat some club that no longer exists 17-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bit of research wouldn't have done you any harm. Those colours have been used on City change shirts for decades.

foe_marc_vivien1.jpg
    1313.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Reporter: What went wrong today?
    Macini: I think Everton played better than us... This is football.

If only all managers were that honest. lol

jamegg wrote: »
    I am a City man and I can't excuse Micah pulling jerseys. I mean, they know going out on the pitch that pulling jerseys is a foul. If you can't defend without pulling at your man then you shouldn't be on the pitch. I know every defender nudges and thugs but not as blatent as what Micah did.

On the other hand, where does the foul begin? He started thugging the jersey from outside the box. Why not a free?

For me, the issue isn't about where it started - that doesn't matter imo.

It is not like Saha was tripped, but tripped outside the area but in trying to maintain balance he made it into the box before falling over. It isn't that there was a foul outside the box which he reacted to later, or was victimised as a result of, later.

Richards fouled him outside the box, and he fouled him inside the box - or he was fouling him the entire way.

If it is a foul, then it is fine, imo, to give the penalty for it.

I just think it was a very soft foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Just flown back from the game this morning. Delighted with the win, just absolutely delighted with it. I've watched the ESPN match coverage beginning to end three times now, mostly to see Fellaini. He is one sexy man.

Nothing against Man City fans as a whole (every club, including Everton, have a minority of right whoppers as fans), but I'm seriously made up at how we stuffed them. Some of them have seriously rubbed me up the wrong way these last few months, making out they are a MASSIVE CLUB because they have made an average start to a Premier League season by Everton's recent standards.

LOL at those still debating the penalty. Watching actually at the match, not on TV, we weren't overly committing people forward in that second half, if we had still only been 1-0 up we'd have pressed on and gotten a 2nd or a 3rd goal anyway, the penalty decision didn't make any difference. But perhaps City having spent their millions now need to cling to excuses every time they lose. They've used the stoppage time against United excuse, and now this.

Very disappointed that we threw away so much earlier this season. At least we're still in two of those shiny goblet competitions, hopefully we can make it back to Wembley again. Maybe I can get a ticket this time. In spite of all their eulogising over pop football teams like Liverpool and City, turns out Everton have a few fair weather fans as well :rolleyes:

Could you not just enjoy the result and the performance rather than having a pop at everyone?

Get over yourself.

Didn't have a pop at anyone, I offered basic criticism of some aspects of both clubs, one of which is the one I've supported since I was three years old. Don't be so sensitive.

Columbia wrote: »
    Get over yourself.

Didn't have a pop at anyone, I offered basic criticism of some aspects of both clubs, one of which is the one I've supported since I was three years old. Don't be so sensitive.

No.

You have a pop at people who weren't at the game. In bold.

Have a pop at City fans for enjoying their teams start to the season. Have a pop at City fans for being City fans. Have a pop at Liverpool fans for being Liverpool fans.

What aspects of the clubs were you criticising there? None? Just the fans in those cases? Yeah, thought so.

No.

You have a pop at people who weren't at the game. In bold.

Have a pop at City fans for enjoying their teams start to the season. Have a pop at City fans for being City fans. Have a pop at Liverpool fans for being Liverpool fans.

What aspects of the clubs were you criticising there? None? Just the fans in those cases? Yeah, thought so.

Not going to get into any arguments mate, but as I said, you're over-reacting.

Advertisement